Needing West Vest Shoulder Pads

I bought this chest protector from a local guy prior to my first year of travel/competitive ball last season. At a clinic last fall, one of the instructors noticed that it was missing the shoulder pads (see pics below).

Anyways, a cursory search on ump-attire didn't turn up any shoulder pads for sale. Does anyone have a spare set they're willing to part with, or know of a place that sells them?

Also, while I'm at it, the harness could probably use replacing.  Any recommendations on the best replacement harnesses?

1603F8C3-C04F-4DAF-861C-BBE36FBF9431.JPG

B0F47D0C-BF3B-4D8C-BE9C-3A6E8FDA10F1.JPG

CE6F3DC9-F135-47AE-80F2-40712CA0DB2D.JPG

29 minutes ago, Slippery Fish said:

I bought this chest protector from a local guy prior to my first year of travel/competitive ball last season. At a clinic last fall, one of the instructors noticed that it was missing the shoulder pads (see pics below).

Anyways, a cursory search on ump-attire didn't turn up any shoulder pads for sale. Does anyone have a spare set they're willing to part with, or know of a place that sells them?

Also, while I'm at it, the harness could probably use replacing.  Any recommendations on the best replacement harnesses?

1603F8C3-C04F-4DAF-861C-BBE36FBF9431.JPG

B0F47D0C-BF3B-4D8C-BE9C-3A6E8FDA10F1.JPG

CE6F3DC9-F135-47AE-80F2-40712CA0DB2D.JPG

Hey man! I think I can help! I make chest protector replacement padding. Usually I retrofit the whole entire protector, but I can do your shoulder pads if that’s all you want. Text me via umpire-empire if you’re intersted. Also I like the Wilson premium harness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2024 at 10:07 AM, Umpiresrock74 said:

Hey man! I think I can help! I make chest protector replacement padding. Usually I retrofit the whole entire protector, but I can do your shoulder pads if that’s all you want. Text me via umpire-empire if you’re intersted. Also I like the Wilson premium harness.

Looking at the picture I would recommend replacing the whole chest protector's entire padding. And get the umplife harness. I'm another gear whore and have had numerous harnesses and will vouch that this is the best harness I've ever used. Good luck.

• Like 3

On 3/23/2024 at 9:36 AM, Slippery Fish said:

I bought this chest protector from a local guy prior to my first year of travel/competitive ball last season. At a clinic last fall, one of the instructors noticed that it was missing the shoulder pads

“This” would be the Wilson WestVest Platinum. The “second son” of the WestVest line. Other than the once-patented anchor tabs, and the use of upholstery foam 🤢🤮 for the pad vest, the Platy is nothing like its Gold sibling. I maintain the opinion that, if the Platy had been produced by a different company, it would be (or have been) that company’s signature CP, and also may have been drastically improved over the 18 years since its debut. 

It, the All-Star CPU4000, and the +POS Cobra have probably the best clavicle protection on the market. Wilson, however, ruined this CP’s performance because of how they produced it. Not only does it have the aforementioned (wretched) upholstery foam, but in Wilson’s obsession with maximizing profit margin, it was shipped flat. 

It does have some good things going for it. The Platy is comprised of three overlapping carapace plates for the breastplate + shoulder arch plates, that, while riveted, can be separated and repositioned for width and angle (if you know what you’re doing). Instead of hard-plated pec wings, the Platy instead uses satisfactory soft wings. Lastly, unlike its Gold sibling, this has the shoulder pauldrons and ailettes (gap protectors) attached via elastic splines. It improves the fit, but because the unit is shipped and sold flat, it doesn’t prevent the unit from being worn improperly, like a shop apron, or looking like a hulking linebacker. 

And that useless billow pad has got to go. :shakehead: 
So, @Slippery Fish, you’ve got yourself a really good CP, albeit flawed. I can echo @umpstu’s advice and encourage you to bundle this off to @Umpiresrock74. He and his team will construct an entire new vest pad, and I’ll send him the schematic so as to build two new pauldron pads. It’ll fit and feel noticeably better once ya get it back. 

Mikey, along with the pauldron pad schematics, I’ll have a proposed stitch schematic for the pad vest. Instead of a slab of foam, if we introduce these seams, then the Platinum’s shoulder arch plates will bend easier, conform better, and create heat channels. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MadMax said:

“This” would be the Wilson WestVest Platinum. The “second son” of the WestVest line. Other than the once-patented anchor tabs, and the use of upholstery foam 🤢🤮 for the pad vest, the Platy is nothing like its Gold sibling. I maintain the opinion that, if the Platy had been produced by a different company, it would be (or have been) that company’s signature CP, and also may have been drastically improved over the 18 years since its debut. 

It, the All-Star CPU4000, and the +POS Cobra have probably the best clavicle protection on the market. Wilson, however, ruined this CP’s performance because of how they produced it. Not only does it have the aforementioned (wretched) upholstery foam, but in Wilson’s obsession with maximizing profit margin, it was shipped flat. 

It does have some good things going for it. The Platy is comprised of three overlapping carapace plates for the breastplate + shoulder arch plates, that, while riveted, can be separated and repositioned for width and angle (if you know what you’re doing). Instead of hard-plated pec wings, the Platy instead uses satisfactory soft wings. Lastly, unlike its Gold sibling, this has the shoulder pauldrons and ailettes (gap protectors) attached via elastic splines. It improves the fit, but because the unit is shipped and sold flat, it doesn’t prevent the unit from being worn improperly, like a shop apron, or looking like a hulking linebacker. 

So, @Slippery Fish, you’ve got yourself a really good CP, albeit flawed. I can echo @umpstu’s advice and encourage you to bundle this off to @Umpiresrock74. He and his team will construct an entire new vest pad, and I’ll send him the schematic so as to build two new pauldron pads. It’ll fit and feel noticeably better once ya get it back. 

Mikey, along with the pauldron pad schematics, I’ll have a proposed stitch schematic for the pad vest. Instead of a slab of foam, if we introduce these seams, then the Platinum’s shoulder arch plates will bend easier, conform better, and create heat channels. 

Mikey? Lol. Okay, haven’t heard that name in forever. Lol. Yes, give me a call Mad Max, you have my number, I would love to discuss this further and ask you a few questions if you don’t mind. Also, thanks for the support!

image.png.23d74610871b4ea8c20b37b80b042b74.png

This is me listening to MadMax's (and others) knowledge on all things umpire equipment subjects....  And why I always hear after reading one of them.... 'and that is why the Wilson product could never be compared to '  or something like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, MadMax said:

42 minutes ago, BLWizzRanger said:

This is me listening to MadMax's (and others) knowledge on all things umpire equipment subjects....  And why I always hear after reading one of them.... 'and that is why the Wilson product could never be compared to '  or something like that.

Mad max has a IQ of 4million when it comes to umpire equipment. Lol. Like, omg, he says stuff and I’m like, wow, that makes it way better, but I’m like, “how did he even come up with that?”. Lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Umpiresrock74 said:

Mad max has a IQ of 4million when it comes to umpire equipment.

I’m nothing special. I just fix things. A lot of things. A major component to fixing things is to (try to) understand how / why an object, or machine, or product was made. 

If @Slippery Fish takes us up on overhauling his Platinum, it’s going to be one helluva CP when we’re – collectively – done with it. 

I can guarantee you’ll wonder – “Why didn’t Wilson do this from the start?”

• Like 1

Just now, MadMax said:

I’m nothing special. I just fix things. A lot of things. A major component to fixing things is to (try to) understand how / why an object, or machine, or product was made. 

Well you definitely have a mind of a genius when it comes to umpire equipment, would love to pick your brain one day. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all of the great feedback, this really helps a lot! Getting a lot more than I was expecting from my OP. I didn't go into this season planning to change my CP, just find some shoulder pads, but I'm starting to reconsider. 

16 hours ago, MadMax said:

It improves the fit, but because the unit is shipped and sold flat, it doesn’t prevent the unit from being worn improperly, like a shop apron, or looking like a hulking linebacker. 

This was the main reason I was hesitating to spend the money to do a full re-furbish, and thought maybe long term I should look at other CPs. I struggled all year to get it to sit high enough to cover my clavicles, even with the harness pulled all the way tight. At the Mid America Umpire Clinic last fall one of the instructors showed me the trick where you loop one of the waist straps on the harness up and around one of the shoulder straps. That helped pull it into proper place, but then the shoulders puffed up into the aforementioned "linebacker look". Either way, the top of the CP never really conformed down onto my shoulders. I already have a new Umplife harness on the way that I'm hoping will help this issue.

I've been talking a little bit with Mike (@Umpiresrock74), and @MadMax, if you can get him a design that he's comfortable that he can do that will help the CP conform better, especially around the shoulders, I'm willing to give it a try!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Slippery Fish said:

Thanks for all of the great feedback, this really helps a lot! Getting a lot more than I was expecting from my OP. I didn't go into this season planning to change my CP, just find some shoulder pads, but I'm starting to reconsider. 

This was the main reason I was hesitating to spend the money to do a full re-furbish, and thought maybe long term I should look at other CPs. I struggled all year to get it to sit high enough to cover my clavicles, even with the harness pulled all the way tight. At the Mid America Umpire Clinic last fall one of the instructors showed me the trick where you loop one of the waist straps on the harness up and around one of the shoulder straps. That helped pull it into proper place, but then the shoulders puffed up into the aforementioned "linebacker look". Either way, the top of the CP never really conformed down onto my shoulders. I already have a new Umplife harness on the way that I'm hoping will help this issue.

I've been talking a little bit with Mike (@Umpiresrock74), and @MadMax, if you can get him a design that he's comfortable that he can do that will help the CP conform better, especially around the shoulders, I'm willing to give it a try!

Anxiously awaiting the end result and you will be amazed at how much better your chest protector stays in place with the UmpLife harness. A real game changer.

Hurry up, get it done and show us a lot of pictures.

On 3/27/2024 at 1:14 PM, BLWizzRanger said:

This is me listening to MadMax's (and others) knowledge on all things umpire equipment subjects.

MadMax has been in my living room. ...And it is 100% like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2024 at 6:44 PM, Slippery Fish said:

if you can get him a design that he's comfortable that he can do that will help the CP conform better, especially around the shoulders, I'm willing to give it a try!

I'll do exactly that. I'm going to relay to @Umpiresrock74 3 different "tiers" of plan for your CP: 

1. Shoulder pauldron pads only. 
  2. Shoulder pauldron pads + new torso vest pad, laid out and crafted to the "ideal" form and features for not only low profile protection, but ventilation channels and easy resizing. 
  3. The full vindaloo... not only making the pauldron pads, and vest pad, but also replacing any/all rivets, putting in better SR buckles (or the mag clips) rather than T-hooks, which are known to tear up shirts, and replacing the pathetic D-rings on the trailing edge of the shoulder arch plates, to make the attachment of your (new) harness hassle-free. 

Mike can break down his costs, and relay them to you, per tier. Choose which one works for ya. 

Whereabouts are you located, Fish?

Thanks for putting in all that time and effort, I really appreciate it! Excited to see what you come up with! One other thing to take into consideration after trying on this CP again this spring is that it might be a touch short for me. I'm about 5'11" and the Platy is 12". According to the measuring guide on Ump-Attire.com you want a CP that's about 1" above your navel, which on me would be a 16" protector. Based on what's on the market and what others wear I feel like that would be overkill at my height. Do you think a 13" or 13.5" protector with a proper stance provides adequate protection? Is there any reason that a new pad vest couldn't be made to be a bit longer? Appreciate the feedback.

I recently moved to Central Illinois, and I'm in a small town near Springfield.  

I'll do exactly that. I'm going to relay to @Umpiresrock74 3 different "tiers" of plan for your CP: 

1. Shoulder pauldron pads only. 
  2. Shoulder pauldron pads + new torso vest pad, laid out and crafted to the "ideal" form and features for not only low profile protection, but ventilation channels and easy resizing. 
  3. The full vindaloo... not only making the pauldron pads, and vest pad, but also replacing any/all rivets, putting in better SR buckles (or the mag clips) rather than T-hooks, which are known to tear up shirts, and replacing the pathetic D-rings on the trailing edge of the shoulder arch plates, to make the attachment of your (new) harness hassle-free. 

Mike can break down his costs, and relay them to you, per tier. Choose which one works for ya. 

Whereabouts are you located, Fish?

@MadMax I appreciate everything, yes, once i get some detailed scematics, and talk to my team, we will get you a price @Slippery Fish. I will say this, it is going to be proabbly more than your regular retrofit job, but I would listen to Max, if he says jump, say how high? He is a expert when it comes to gear, @MadMax lets talk one day so we can get this thing rolling down the runway and in the air, unlike Boeing I will make sure we dont lose a door or a engine while in flight. LOL. 

I think a 12-13.5" is more than sufficient. I'm your height also and routinely wear 12-13.5" CP's without issue. The main thing is make sure your last rib is covered when you're in your stance. 

Your stomach may be soft or hard, but there are no bones to break there.  In my experience, you'll seldom take a hit there.  I am hit on my arms more than anywhere else, then probably chest protector on bounced pitches or foul backs, then mask, then shins... and then my stomach and thighs. Why protect the fat muscle? Just shrug it off and move on. :)

The Platinum is an excellent CP without the billow pad and with the addition of a nice flex harness (F3, UL, All Star).  They can be worked with and trained (via heat gun and patience) to fit you like a glove and offer as low profile and protective CP as there is out there today.   The stock padding is pretty thin, but hot and traps heat.  A nice replacement pad would go a long way to improving this CP, preferably one that sheds/repels water and has good ventilation properties too.

Max has some great ideas, so if the pad maker can replicate them properly, then you'll have a great unit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I actually removed those two pads years ago on my old Platinum. Another umpire who did that recommended it to me. It's an even lower profile and less of a "robo-ump" look. With the pads, they were so bulky that I'd actually have trouble raising my hands over my head. So, it did make the protector much more comfortable for me. As far as protection goes, with the way that the protector fits me it's not much of a sacrifice. The points of my shoulders are fully covered by the plating that curls over the clavicle. The plates that the two shoulder pads attach to actually touch my upper arm, just below the shoulder joint. The joint and bones of the shoulder are completely protected. I've had balls hit the shoulder plate and it just feels like a slight slap between the bicep and  tricep.

• Like 1

The plan I’m supplying to @Umpiresrock74 addresses exactly that, @BretMan. I’ve done this replacement on 2 Platinums and 2 Golds so far; on the Platys, it was to reduce the hulking linebacker look, while in the Golds, it was to fix/replace that structured stitch holding the pauldron pad to the torso/vest pad (Wilson’s cheap laziness). 

On the Platys, I simply re-used the TPU foam flaps that are superfluous and unnecessary on a Schutt-Adams XV. Burned two slots in each one, then looped Velcro thru them to the pauldron plate to hold it. 

On the Golds, it’s a little more involved, but the end-goal is the same. Because Wilson cheats, and uses (far too) thick sofa cushion foam unilaterally, in the entirety of the vest parts, the shoulder pauldrons don’t cup and encompass your shoulder rounds like they should; instead, they rest atop them. Then too, that structured stitch doesn’t give you any flexibility on repositioning them for an ideal fit. So, I render (kill) that stitch if it isn’t already ripped, and I install a connecting spline from the shoulder arch plate to the pauldron plate. Then, I’ve taken apart cheap, throwaway umpire washboard CPs from the 1980s and 1990s, separated the shoulder pauldron plates from the closed cell foam pad lining it, and used that on these Golds. 

The result is _dramatic_. Vast improvement. 

So what I’ll be supplying to Michael to recreate is a two-material foam… danish? I can’t call it a donut… it’ll have a disc of closed cell foam, and a rim of open-cell, spongy foam… so a pershing? 🍩 Whatever… it’ll encompass and cup the round of your shoulder. You’ll be protected, and your shirts will fit so much better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

So what I’ll be supplying to Michael to recreate is a two-material foam… danish? I can’t call it a donut… it’ll have a disc of closed cell foam, and a rim of open-cell, spongy foam… so a pershing? 🍩 Whatever… it’ll encompass and cup the round of your shoulder. You’ll be protected, and your shirts will fit so much better. 

A croissant or beignet sounds better. If the shoulder plates are epaulets, then your new "too thin to be called a sandwich" pad jacket must be a beignet or a croissant!

Lightweight and delicious!

Two layers in French is deux couches. It's ironic, because you're always knocking Wilson & Co. for their couch foam cushioning.  So maybe you call it that instead.  Deux couches or couche double for double layer.

Or doble capa or dos capas in Spanish for that southwestern theming from AZ.

I'm afraid that I may have overthought this and jumped the shark now.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/4/2024 at 9:27 AM, Slippery Fish said:

Thanks for putting in all that time and effort, I really appreciate it! Excited to see what you come up with! One other thing to take into consideration after trying on this CP again this spring is that it might be a touch short for me. I'm about 5'11" and the Platy is 12". According to the measuring guide on Ump-Attire.com you want a CP that's about 1" above your navel, which on me would be a 16" protector. Based on what's on the market and what others wear I feel like that would be overkill at my height. Do you think a 13" or 13.5" protector with a proper stance provides adequate protection? Is there any reason that a new pad vest couldn't be made to be a bit longer? Appreciate the feedback.

I recently moved to Central Illinois, and I'm in a small town near Springfield.  

Hey Slipery fish, me and @MadMax have been tallking about plans and desings. Once I hit summer break I will be able to put all my attention into this and get this done for you. 

• Like 1