Batted Ball Initially Going Foul and then rolling fair before ball gets to first base.

Guest Howard
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 410 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Howard

If the batter hits a ball that initially goes foul but then veers into fair territory before being touched or reaching first base, is the ball fair or foul?

Thank you!!!!

9 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, Guest Howard said:

If the batter hits a ball that initially goes foul but then veers into fair territory before being touched or reaching first base, is the ball fair or foul?

Thank you!!!!

if it stops moving or is touched for the first time while fair and before it reaches a base, it is a fair ball.  Doesn't matter how it got there.

• Like 2

May I add that this definition is consistent through LL, MLB, HS and College Rules

Fair in all, as long as it stops or is touched while in fair territory (it could, theoretically, start foul, roll fair, then roll back foul and be touched or stopped all before first or third base, then it is foul)

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 8:34 PM, agdz59 said:

if it stops moving or is touched for the first time while fair and before it reaches a base, it is a fair ball.  Doesn't matter how it got there.

Doesn't it?

More than once I have had a foul ball hit the grass on the "cutout" base path and go fair.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, aaluck said:

All levels?

FED has an interp that blowing is touching. OBR has a JR interp that blowing or moving dirt on a moving fair ball will make it fair. I don't know of any NCAA interp in the book but it's hard to search past interps on their website that don't make it into the book. NCAA default is rule as OBR does.

There is, of course, the rule about the batter-runner in all codes.