RefMag Quiz

noumpere
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 492 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

From RefMag (paraphrased) :

R1, no outs, 1-0 count on B2.  F1 fails to stop (balk called) but delivers a wild pitch that rolls to the backstop.  R1 attempts to advance to third and is thrown out.

a.  B2 and all runners who did not advance are awarded at least one base.  Return R1 to second.

b. The play on R1 stands and he is out.  The balk is "acknowledged" and the count remains 1-0 on B2.

c. Immediate dead ball and award R1 second.

FED is easy:  C.

For OBR and NCAA, I have B.  RefMag has A.

Did the rule change?

(And I am not picking on RefMag -- I have written many quizzes and had some embarrassing errors; I just want to check my rules knowledge on this.)

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

From RefMag (paraphrased) :

R1, no outs, 1-0 count on B2.  F1 fails to stop (balk called) but delivers a wild pitch that rolls to the backstop.  R1 attempts to advance to third and is thrown out.

a.  B2 and all runners who did not advance are awarded at least one base.  Return R1 to second.

b. The play on R1 stands and he is out.  The balk is "acknowledged" and the count remains 1-0 on B2.

c. Immediate dead ball and award R1 second.

FED is easy:  C.

For OBR and NCAA, I have B.  RefMag has A.

Did the rule change?

(And I am not picking on RefMag -- I have written many quizzes and had some embarrassing errors; I just want to check my rules knowledge on this.)

No rational rule change would give you "a". A fat thumb or index might with poor proofreading. OR Fed is proven correct that a balk should be a dead ball because.......

• Like 1

Don't feel bad... I was just doing our HS study guide and found a bunch of typos which make the obvious correct answers 'wrong', at least logically.

Always love it when an educational organization cannot proof read their own documents. 

And yes, I AM perfect. I never make mistrakes.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

On the positive side these wrong answers get the brain churning, as long as you do question it and not accept at face value.

This is true. When I take these quizzes I never  open the book unless I get one wrong. And opening the book is the ultimate goal of quiz taking. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 3:58 PM, Mudisfun said:

Don't feel bad... I was just doing our HS study guide and found a bunch of typos which make the obvious correct answers 'wrong', at least logically.

Always love it when an educational organization cannot proof read their own documents. 

And yes, I AM perfect. I never make mistrakes.

it's own documents.