Pay attention to hydration year-round

udbrky

I was out of town this last weekend and haven't umpired in almost two weeks. Driving home, I was feeling tired. We had some friends over Monday and I went to bed around 9 - I usually am up until 2am. 

Tuesday, I woke up and called off a volleyball game because I felt awful. I slept pretty much from Monday at 9 until Thursday at noon.

Wednesday, I woke up thinking I was dying. I was convinced I had covid (I got vaccinated) and went to the hospital. I took the self temp and it came up normal twice there, so I went to the store and bought pedialyte. Almost immediately, I could feel my energy levels coming back.

So even if you're not out in the sun a lot, or doing a lot of games, don't ignore the hydration.

• Like 4

@udrkby. Good advice. I had a similar incident 4 years ago. Was dehydrated too much during my 4th of 6 games. My blood pressure medication, sun and not drinking a lot caused my dehydration. Was rushed to hospital and found out I was having a heart attack. The dehydration sort of masked the heart attack until my fluid levels returned to normal. Now I always have a cooler with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be drinking water all day, all the time.   I mean, at least get in 64 ounces.  I've been drinking that much for years now.  It's just habit.  I'm typing this, listening to a meeting, drinking coffee with a 24 oz. Tervis Tumbler that sits on my desk every day.  I'll usually go through 4 of those in  a day, at least.

Nice reminder!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

You should be drinking water all day, all the time.   I mean, at least get in 64 ounces.  I've been drinking that much for years now.  It's just habit.  I'm typing this, listening to a meeting, drinking coffee with a 24 oz. Tervis Tumbler that sits on my desk every day.  I'll usually go through 4 of those in  a day, at least.

Nice reminder!

64oz, that's good to know I've been exceeding that for years. With 2 of these regularly per day, I've been getting 80oz! 

The Best Affordable 40-Ounce Malt Liquor in 2021 | The Manual

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Turns out, I had a badly infected bug bite that I didn't notice because all I had done all week was sleep and drink pedialyte. So Thursday I ended up at an ER (it's new and thought it was an Urgent Care) at 10PM and got those IVs, antibiotics, ultra sound for blood clots, blood work, all that fun stuff. Still hurts to walk.