Mizuno instep guards...anybody using or used these?

SeeingEyeDog
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1099 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Greetings brothers,

I saw these on EBay today and wanted to ask if anyone has any feedback from using these? They are $86 for the pair, inclusive of shipping from Japan. I'm not sure that I like the looks of these nor how well they protect. Are they designed for use with a plate shoe or non-plate shoe? Wearing these with say a New Balance plate shoe (assuming they fit) would seem to be the umpire equipment of wearing a belt AND suspenders to hold up your pants.

I will say that Mizuno has some interesting equipment innovations going on (seen that two pass plate brush?) and it's too bad they are not fully active in the U.S. market...

~Dawg 

s-l640.jpg

Only wear them over your plate shoes if you work for the Department of Redundancy Department. 

If over non plate plate shoe, Mr. Big Toe will have issues. Not sure why these exists. 

Now my first "plate shoes" were Sears steel toed models with throat protectors laced on. So maybe......

• Like 1

I could see them being useful for people whose feet don't fit in standard plate shoes (e.g., a women's size 7, or a size 15). If you can get steel-toed shoes, you're better protected.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 1:45 PM, kylejt said:

Only wear them over your plate shoes if you work for the Department of Redundancy Department. 

If over non plate plate shoe, Mr. Big Toe will have issues. Not sure why these exists. 

Now my first "plate shoes" were Sears steel toed models with throat protectors laced on. So maybe......

Have we met?  I always use that "Department of Redundancy Department" joke when I'm in military circles...because we're BAAAAAAD about redundancy.

On 4/23/2021 at 6:12 AM, mac266 said:

Have we met?  I always use that "Department of Redundancy Department" joke when I'm in military circles...because we're BAAAAAAD about redundancy.

40 years in different flavors of the DoD, so I've heard it all.