skunk in the outfield

Guest Tim Fillmore

Question

Guest Tim Fillmore

First to third, R1 takes off towards outfield cutout 45 degree angle between first and second and then stops: trying to draw a play on him. Defense Ignores him R1 stays right there not advancing forward or retreating back to first base. Pitcher toes the rubber, runner is still in between bases doing nothing.  What's the ruling ?.  I heard  if the pitcher throw the ball to either B1 or B2 and they took a step and a reach, the runner is still where he stopped would he be out for out of the base line or a Mockery of the game and call him out?  I would like to talk about with you in more detail.

Tim Fillmore 

858 663 4474

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Apparently his identity has already been stolen.  Better close the barn doors before the horses return.

1) this is legal! And out of the vase path (not line) only happens with a tag attemp. Mockery only appears 2 or 3 times in the entire book. This is not one of those times. Bush League? Damn right

8 answers to this question

1) this is legal! And out of the vase path (not line) only happens with a tag attemp. Mockery only appears 2 or 3 times in the entire book. This is not one of those times.

Bush League? Damn right! But NOT illegal. 

2) probably don't want to post your phone number to a public forum. Hundreds of people come on here over a short period of time. And a majority of them are only guests like yourself. 

• Like 1

From the 2016 Baseball Rules Differences by Carl Childress (section 454, p. 301):

Runner Establishes Base Path

FED:  When a play is being made on a runner, he establishes his base path as a direct line between his position and the base he is trying for. (8-4-2a-2)

Official Interpretation: Hopkins:  The “skunk in the outfield” is legal. A runner may lead off any way he likes toward the next base and is not guilty of an infraction unless he uses more than three feet on either side of his base path to avoid a tag. (Website 2000 #20; affirmed, website 2005 #16)

NCAA and OBR:  Same as FED.

OBR Official Interpretation: Wendelstedt:  A runner may lead off in any manner he wishes, including as far into the outfield as he’d like. The only restriction involves first:  If BR runs through first, he is required to return to it before taking his lead. He may not remain out in the outfield and “lead off” from that position or attempt to draw a throw from the defense to allow other runners to advance.

2000 SITUATION 20: With R3 on third base, R1 takes a lead off of first base and positions himself at the grass behind first base down the right field line. F1 throws to F3 in an attempt to pick off R1. R1 runs down the right field foul line toward the outfield fence. RULING: While R1’s position is legal, he is declared out when he ran toward the outfield fence when a play was attempted. In running down the foul line, he was out of the baseline he had between his position at the time of the pick off and second base. (8-4-2a)

2005 SITUATION 16: With R3 on third base, R1 takes a position about three feet in the grass behind first base. The pitcher, in a pick-off attempt, throws to first base and R1 runs directly from his position to second base. The defensive coach argues that this is an unfair tactic and that R2 should be declared out. RULING: While a runner may not position himself behind a base to get a running start, there are no other restrictions as to where a runner must be when taking his lead from a base. From wherever he positions himself, his baseline is established from that point directly to the base toward which he is attempting. As long as he does not run more than three feet away from that direct line to avoid being tagged when a play is being made on him, his action is legal. (8-2, 8-4-2a Note, 8-4-2o)

Admins - as someone who does cybersecurity for a living, I just died a little - are you able to protect "Tom" from himself and either delete the post, or at least his name and phone number....until we're absolutely sure he wants that searchable by Google and the entire world.   Recommend he create an account and invite PM's instead.   

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

are you able to protect "Tom" from himself and either delete the post, or at least his name and phone number....

While I’m in agreement with your professional sentiment, I’m going to point out that you’re mistaken. There are no “Tom”s here. 

His name is Tim. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, MadMax said:

While I’m in agreement with your professional sentiment, I’m going to point out that you’re mistaken. There are no “Tom”s here. 

His name is Tim. 

Apparently his identity has already been stolen.  Better close the barn doors before the horses return.

• Haha 2
On 1/12/2021 at 8:36 AM, MadMax said:

His name is Tim. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.