Black boots for bases cold weather games?

Does anyone ever wear boots on cold weather games? My normal base shoes are mesh, but given I have about 10 games the next two weeks that will be in the 40s and likely wet, I'm thinking of black leather hiking style boots. They look fairly athletic, plus are mostly covered by pants. Another plus is the better traction in wet fields, plus waterproof for easier cleanup. Thoughts? (This is really no different than some people wearing steel toe shoes variations in lieu of true plate shoes, right?)

3 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Does anyone ever wear boots on cold weather games? My normal base shoes are mesh, but given I have about 10 games the next two weeks that will be in the 40s and likely wet, I'm thinking of black leather hiking style boots. They look fairly athletic, plus are mostly covered by pants. Another plus is the better traction in wet fields, plus waterproof for easier cleanup. Thoughts? (This is really no different than some people wearing steel toe shoes variations in lieu of true plate shoes, right?)

My feet already hurt just from thinking about running in boots.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Matt said:

My feet already hurt just from thinking about running in boots.

They are hiking style - much lighter than plate shoes and I run in those all the time.

11 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

the next two weeks that will be in the 40s and likely wet, I'm thinking of black leather hiking style boots... Thoughts?

I'm thinking that standard, typical base shoes like those from New Balance, Nike or UnderArmour would work more than adequately. The New Balance MU950v1's, for example, were predominately leather, and even available in a mid-cut: 
homerun-new-balance-footwear-mu950mk-syn

You could possibly even find MU950v2's that would fit the bill: 
41XXaa9oc8L._AC_.jpg

The only reason I'm not promoting the brand-new MU950v3's is a matter of cost vs. use. You've already mentioned that you wear mesh-y shoes primarily. Why sink beaucoup dollars into shoes you're only going to wear a few times?

The Nike Air Diamond has been a loooooooooong mainstay in the umpire & referee ranks: 
61AQhKBGjtL._UX395_.jpg

All-leather, ridiculously easy to maintain, heavy, ground-grabbing traction.

If you wanted to break convention, and get something that would equally be at home on a cold baseball field, and potentially a wintery day in the midwest, then perhaps something from Skechers or Merrell? I have to admit, as soon as you said "hiking boot for baseball", I immediately thought of Merrell. 

https://www.shoes.com/merrell-mens-shoes/category_12753

https://www.rei.com/search?q=Merrell&ir=q%3AMerrell&origin=web&pagesize=30&r=gender%3AMen's%3Bcolor%3ABlack&version=Search%3ASkuAvailabilityTest

Any of their Moab line designed with the best combination of running/jogging, insulation, and all-terrain grip.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MadMax said:

If you wanted to break convention, and get something that would equally be at home on a cold baseball field, and potentially a wintery day in the midwest, then perhaps something from Skechers or Merrell? I have to admit, as soon as you said "hiking boot for baseball", I immediately thought of Merrell. 

https://www.shoes.com/merrell-mens-shoes/category_12753

https://www.rei.com/search?q=Merrell&ir=q%3AMerrell&origin=web&pagesize=30&r=gender%3AMen's%3Bcolor%3ABlack&version=Search%3ASkuAvailabilityTest

Any of their Moab line designed with the best combination of running/jogging, insulation, and all-terrain grip.

Thanks! Merrell was exactly what I was thinking of too - saw a pair (not black though) at DSW yesterday, which made me start this thread, and I may or may not go to the Merrell outlet on Friday to get a pair.  I wanted to get everyone's thoughts first.  I know regular black shoes you posted would work, but I've found as I've gotten older my feet get a lot colder faster - and the 3-4 game days are tough to stay warm with regular shoes for me.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, udbrky said:

Wear thicker/layer socks. We're not too far from each other, and I have done a few games in that temp range, and thicker socks saved my feet.

I'll give that a try - although in the past I've hated wearing multiple socks, maybe I'll give the thicker ones a try.  That definitely is a cheaper option (which I like!).  Thanks!

1 hour ago, blue32 said:

Great! That, Merrell, some of the Timberland sportier styles, was what I was thinking of.  Seems that no one thinks it's crazy (again, we are talking wet mucky days where I think almost everyone's goal is just to keep warm).

1 hour ago, mark38090 said:

Academy sells some really nice tactical law enforcement style boots that are great. I personally wear the Under Armors every day at work and I also wear them on the bases. Lots of support and light weight. 

My son loves Oakley boots... I can't believe how lightweight they are and under your pants leg you wouldn't think they're boots at all.  They appear almost like tennis shoes to the casual glance.

• Like 1