Jump to content
SeeingEyeDog

ChamPro pads...Bio-Fresh vs. Dri-Gear

Recommended Posts

Thanks, Wolfe.

There's been a lot of discussion on this mask and I want to make sure I have all this correct before placing an order. Are the dri-gear pads as good as the Team Wendy pads? Is a Wilson or Ump-Life harness better for this mask? And what is the best throat protector...Champro's or another?

~Dog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SeeingEyeDog 

Here's an AllStar FM25 with LUC pads on clearance for $45. The frame is better built than the Champro and the pads are FAR superior and still in the same realm of what you're looking for. Throat guard brand is irrelevant, buy the cheapest one in the right length.

https://www.cheapbats.com/shop/closeout-all-star-traditional-umpire-face-mask-fm25ump-luc-p-3337-c-193.html

-BR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Champro pads that came with my magnesium Rampage, Dri-Gear I believe. They, in my opinion, are not safe against flying baseballs, and in no way comparable to Team Wendy pads, which went straight into my frame. When you can press on the pads with both your thumbs, and feel the frame, to me it's not right. 

That said, I think the Rampage frame should be considered as one of the best one piece being sold today. Very light, and lots of angles for deflection. 

Oh, and this is my throat protector of choice. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mizuno-Catchers-Helmet-Throat-Guard/dp/B00NX4ZU9Q

 

mizuno.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, blue32 said:

They both suck. The end.

Come on Greg, don't hold back.  Tell us how you really feel about them.

 flying boats hollywood GIF

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Come on Greg, don't hold back.  Tell us how you really feel about them.

 flying boats hollywood GIF

Maybe I should have ran that through a filter first. My bad. :shrug:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, blue32 said:

Maybe I should have ran that through a filter first. My bad. :shrug:

No, it was right on target and truthful.   I don't think anyone keeps and uses the Champro pads.  The frames are fine, but no one likes the pads.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 10:44 PM, SeeingEyeDog said:

There's been a lot of discussion on this mask and I want to make sure I have all this correct before placing an order. Are the dri-gear pads as good as the Team Wendy pads? Is a Wilson or Ump-Life harness better for this mask? And what is the best throat protector...Champro's or another?

The only pads of any purposeful worth to you are going to be, in fabric: Team Wendys, Wilson Memory Foams, All-Star LUCs (and the improved LUC-Mag’s), and +POS AirChambers (which are essentially the same as LUCs); in leather: Wilson, Honig’s, and All-Star LMX.

Consider everything else a “placeholder”, simply there to satisfy the definition of a useable mask.

@wolfe_man does more mask purveying than I do, but when I locate a mask, I typically ignore the pads, and either trash them, or keep them (clean if necessary) and give them to amateur catchers in rec leagues, or to fellow or “junior” umpires who are using masks with pads that are split, wore out, filthy, or being held together by duct tape. Thus, when it comes to a mask model equipped with “crap” pads (such as the famous Diamond DFM-iX3 model), get the least expensive unit you can find, and then get new pads that better suit you. For the Rampage, I’d be looking into LUCs, Memory Foams, or Honig’s Leathers. My only reservation on Team Wendys is regarding “working temperature”... if you plan on working in warm temperatures predominately, then the TW pads will remain pliant. If you’re going to be in cold temperatures, though, the pads may get rather hard, and one has to remember, that a magnesium mask is incredibly rigid, with no give at all.

As far as a throat guard, any option is available to you. @kylejt pointed out a model that I think is complimentary and visually similar to the Rampage’s structural, futuristic look. You don’t want to throw on a 4” plastic shoehorn on this thing... that’d be like sticking a bucket atop a classic, sculpted statue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wish that Force3 would introduce a synthetic fabric mask pad. I've not been a fan of leather pads on my masks for many moons. But I plan on transitioning to a F3v2.... when ever I can get back on the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all seriousness, as an owner of both the silver and black Rampage masks, I agree with @MadMax the pads they come with I would consider as unsafe.

As far as the masks go, my quick review is:

Pros: Looks (When new), and weight.

Cons: The silver loses its luster and fades to gray within a few months of limited use. The black, after a year of limited use (I rotate amongst 8 masks or so), the black coating is starting to chip away from the magnesium. Pretty disappointing, but I guess I can send it to Tony at Mask-It now right? I thought I read somewhere that he’s doing Magnesium now?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, blue32 said:

In all seriousness, as an owner of both the silver and black Rampage masks, I agree with @MadMax the pads they come with I would consider as unsafe.

As far as the masks go, my quick review is:

Pros: Looks (When new), and weight.

Cons: The silver loses its luster and fades to gray within a few months of limited use. The black, after a year of limited use (I rotate amongst 8 masks or so), the black coating is starting to chip away from the magnesium. Pretty disappointing, but I guess I can send it to Tony at Mask-It now right? I thought I read somewhere that he’s doing Magnesium now?

Yes, he is setup for magnesium now.  Get the gunmetal and share pics!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...