Guest Lincoln M. Hill

Immaculate Inning?

Question

Guest Lincoln M. Hill

Hello. My name is Lincoln. I am 8 years old and am a huge baseball fan. My dad and I were talking about immaculate innings. Dad is normally really smart about baseball, but even he couldn't answer my question. That's why we're asking you. 

Can a pitcher throw an immaculate inning if he faces 4 batters? In other words, if the pitcher strikes out the first three batters on 9 pitches, BUT, the 9th strike gets away from the catcher and the batter gets to first base, can the pitcher still have an immaculate inning if he strikes out the next batter on 3 pitches? 

Could you email me your answer at jbhill8487@gmail.com?

Thanks!

Lincoln

10 answers to this question

Hi Lincoln and Lincoln's dad

I hope you return here to look for answers.  I don't email strangers from my personal address, and I don't feel like creating a fake email account to respond.

An immaculate inning requires 9 pitches, so, no...it would certainly be a remarkable inning but not an "immaculate inning."

And the best, and rarest, kind of immaculate inning is if all nine strikes were swings.

2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Hi Lincoln and Lincoln's dad

I hope you return here to look for answers.  I don't email strangers from my personal address, and I don't feel like creating a fake email account to respond.

An immaculate inning requires 9 pitches, so, no...it would certainly be a remarkable inning but not an "immaculate inning."

And the best, and rarest, kind of immaculate inning is if all nine strikes were swings.

To an umpire, an immaculate (half) inning is three outs on three pitches.  I've never had the holy grail - six outs on six pitches.

• Like 2

I’ve had five outs on five consecutive pitches ...the last out to end the inning, a three pitch inning, and then the lead-off hitter hits the first pitch for an out.  Does that qualify for anything?  :givebeer:

An immaculate inning is relatively rare (but not as rare as it used to be).  What Lincoln describes is even rarer.  So, it's an immaculater inning.

A serious answer to our young friend:  The term is not an official baseball statistic.  So, there's no absolute answer to the question.  I, personally, would NOT count it as such -- to me, the term means three outs.  But, the pitcher should still be recognized by his teammates for his strong performance.

12 hours ago, grayhawk said:

To an umpire, an immaculate (half) inning is three outs on three pitches.  I've never had the holy grail - six outs on six pitches.

A few years ago by daughter pitched a seven inning complete game shutout (softball).  Through the first four innings they had four hits, a few walks, got them to hit into a couple of double plays to get out of trouble.  Then finished the last three innings in 11 pitches....3, 4, 4.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I’ve had five outs on five consecutive pitches ...the last out to end the inning, a three pitch inning, and then the lead-off hitter hits the first pitch for an out.  Does that qualify for anything?  :givebeer:

That's kind of like the Tiger Slam.   Anything that puts you five outs closer to the end of your day in just five pitches is worthy of celebration.

15 hours ago, grayhawk said:

I'm with this definition. To me, a perfect inning is 3 outs in less than 9 pitches. There was a recent game here in the Oregon State LL tourney and a pitcher threw 35 in 3 and a third. That's a damn good game. 

How about 3 outs with one pitch!

First and second batter's waived to first on no-pitch intentional walks.  Third batter, on the first pitch, hits into a triple play.  ;)

1 hour ago, Lou B said:

How about 3 outs with one pitch!

First and second batter's waived to first on no-pitch intentional walks.  Third batter, on the first pitch, hits into a triple play.  ;)

How about each batter steps to the other box when the pitcher is in a position ready to pitch.  Three (or 27!) outs, no pitches.

• Like 1

I have had multiple 3 pitch half innings but none of 9 pitch that I know of. This is the first I have heard of this. I have been umpiring for about 30 years.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.