Sign in to follow this  
BlueMagic

What’s the ruling?

NCAA rules...R1, 1 out. Batter hits grounder to deep short. SS makes errant throw to 1B. Offensive team’s dugout is located on 1B side. One of its players lifts the netting of the dugout to allow the errantly thrown ball to penetrate. What’s the ruling?

While I am sure this will follow with correct rule interpretations & maybe even a cite by @Senorazul , I'm not at all familiar with NCAA..............but I'll hit it with a Sarcastic approach to CS & FP.  Kill it, return runners to (assuming they advanced beyond) R1/R2 and eject the @$$ clown that lifted the net.  It's hot out, I don't need him extending the game for any reason.

• Like 1

By definition, interference is “an act by the team at bat” so the rules of offensive interference would apply to players in the dugout. For interference to be called on a thrown ball the action must be intentional. In the OP, the player in the dugout intentionally lifted the netting to allow the errant throw to roll into the dugout. Thus, we have intentional interference on the throw.

Now, who to call out? To be honest, I am not sure. I think it would be the batter-runner who was being played on at first base and who is the nearest runner to the thrown ball being interfered with. And we return the other runners to their TOI base. What do you think? Who should be called out?

Mr. Aging Arbiter, this is the third or fourth time you have just mentioned me out of the blue for no particular reason other than to mock me. Why are you so obsessed with me? I have never quoted you, never mentioned you, or never even thought of you when I am trying to answer a question in this forum. I am asking you now to do the same favor for me. Please stop it.

21 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

Mr. Aging Arbiter, this is the third or fourth time you have just mentioned me out of the blue for no particular reason other than to mock me. Why are you so obsessed with me? I have never quoted you, never mentioned you, or never even thought of you when I am trying to answer a question in this forum. I am asking you now to do the same favor for me. Please stop it.

Not mocking at all.  As I am sure most on here would agree, you are well known for providing quoted/specific rule cites from different codes and/or unknown rulings from past info, and I was deferring to your plethora of knowledge (or database) in that respect. 

However, since it appears that I have offended you in some way, consider it stopped.

3 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

FWIW, I didn't consider the mention here as mocking at all, but a show of respect. Maybe I've got different glasses on, though.

3 hours ago, yawetag said:

FWIW, I didn't consider the mention here as mocking at all, but a show of respect. Maybe I've got different glasses on, though.

I concur.

4 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

I concur.

Me three.  SA your quote of the rulebook is commendable and I too certainly look for it in these responses.  Please keep up the good work!

Closest thing.  Call the B-R out as he is the one upon whom the play was made.

NCAA 8 3 j.    If a thrown ball strikes a base coach on foul ground, the ball is in play. If the
coach interfered intentionally with such a thrown ball, the runner is out and
any other runners must return to the last base touched;

Wouldn't it be either the runner on which the play is being made, and if that can't be discerned then the runner closest to home?

Once the ball goes past first it's no longer being played on the b/r (not necessarily).  Whomever is retrieving the ball is going to play on the most appropriate runner - either whomever is trying to score, or the one that provides the best chance at an out...the offense interfered with THAT (hypothetical subsequent) play, not the play on the b/r.   The offense interfered before you really had a chance to see if F3 was going to make a play on B/R or R1 (or neither)....frankly, retrieving the ball from next to the dugout, the throw to second or third are almost equidistant.

Call out R1, place b/r on first.