Obstruction Awarding of bases

Guest BigVic69
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1809 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest BigVic69

The following rule in Little League says:
"7.06 Obstruction (b) 1: When the ball is not dead on obstruction and an obstructed runner advances beyond the base which, in the umpire’s
judgment, the runner would have been awarded because of being obstructed, the runner does so at his/ her own risk and may be tagged
out.  This is a judgment call. "

Scenario:

Runner rounds 2nd base and is obstructed by SS.  The runner makes it to 3rd base and decides to try for home.  He is put out.  The umpire puts him on 3rd due to the obstruction.

The question Is that the laying aside of the out would cause a protestable event?

As it may/may not be a misapplication of 7.06 "the runner does so at his/her own risk and may be tagged out".

However, my point is that the end of the sentence says "This is a judgement call" which lends me to believe that the umpire should have awarded him home instead of placing him on 3rd, if that was the base he would have reached if not obstructed by the SS.

I say that he should have been awarded 1 base past the last base attained, in this case 3rd, and that he put all his chickens in the same basket which reaching for home.

Thanks,

9 answers to this question

Guest BigVic69
2 minutes ago, Guest BigVic69 said:

I meant to say that due to the obstruction, after attaining 2nd on his way to 3rd, he was guaranteed 3rd.

I say that he should have been awarded 1 base past the last base attained, in this case 3rd, and that he put all his chickens in the same basket which reaching for home.

Thanks,

It's the umpires' job to fix it as though the obstruction never happened.  When the runner tries for home he either protects him to home or calls him safe/out on the play.  Sending him back to 3B is not an option and would be a protestable misapplication of the rules.

How far he is protected is up to the umpire.

So, F6 bumps into runner while he is on his way to third.  Runner rounds third and tries to score and (a) is out on a bang-hang play at the plate or (b) is out by 15-20 feet.

In (a) it's likely the Runner would have scored if not obstructed - safe.

In (b) it's likely the Runner would have been out if not obstructed - out.

In no case can the runner put out at the plate be sent back to third, he is either Safe or Out.

Guest NJ Coach

Is the runner due the real-time knowledege of an obstruction call If not,  he may not try to advance as far as he might have and then the defense benefits.

4 hours ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

Is the runner due the real-time knowledege of an obstruction call If not,  he may not try to advance as far as he might have and then the defense benefits.

If it's a kind of OBS where the ball remains live, then runners may advance. If they advance beyond the base they would have been awarded, then they do so at their own risk. If retired, the out will count.

16 hours ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

The umpire should call OBS when it happens.  I don't really follow the rest of your logic (probably my fault).

17 hours ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

If you mean should the runner know what base they will be protected to because of the OBS... That can't be determined immediately by the umpires. 

21 hours ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

4 hours ago, JSam21 said:

If you mean should the runner know what base they will be protected to because of the OBS... That can't be determined immediately by the umpires. 

In short, the runner should behave as he would if there were no obstruction - if he's going to assume anything, assume the next base and nothing more - trust the ump to take care of the rest.  I've heard coaches tell their players to just keeping going when they see an obstruction call, that they can't be called out, and I just shake my head.

• Like 1