To be called out on an appeal, a runner may . . . . .

Howard
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2004 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Runner on 1st  0 out.  The batter hits a deep fly ball to the gap in left-center field.  The runner from 1st takes off on the hit thinking the ball cannot be caught.  The center fielder makes a diving catch as the runner is between 2nd base and 3rd base.  The runner does not see the catch and continues to round the bases.  The defense throws the ball back to 1st base but the throw is wild.  The runner crosses home plate just before the ball bounds out of play.  The umpire awards the runner 3rd based.  To prevent being called out on an appeal, the runner may (select all that apply):

a.  Run straight to 3rd base and not leave until the next pitch, play or attempted play.

b.  run directly to 1st base and then proceed to 3rd base, touching 2nd base on the way.

c.  Run the bases in reverse order, starting with home plate all the way back to first base and then proceed to 3rd base touching 2nd base on the way.

8 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, noumpere said:

That's the FED answer.

OBR and NCAA, I'd have C, but I forget the current philosophy on making the award.

OBR.  The runner was at least between 2B and 3B when the throw was made.  Award would be home.  Since the runner touched HP before the ball went out of play, the runner is able to run the bases in reverse order to fix his mistake.  Once he touches 1B, the award now becomes 3B. C is correct.

• Like 1

From the 2018 Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual (section 5.50, p. 67-68): The “next base” or “base beyond” refers to the position of the runner at the time the ball goes out of play.

Play 5:  Runners on first and second, one out. Batter hits a deep fly ball that is caught by the right fielder. The runner from second is running when the ball is hit, does not tag up, and proceeds to touch and round third base. After the runner from second has rounded third base, the right fielder throws behind the runner from first, who is returning to first base. The fielder’s throw is wild and goes out of play. The umpires call “Time” and award the runners home and third. When the umpires call “Time” the runner from second is between third and home, and the runner from first is between first and second. At this point the manager yells to the runner from second (who is between third and home) to go back and tag up at second base. Is this permissible, or is the runner considered a “base beyond” the base he left too soon?

Ruling 5:  It is permissible for the runner to return to second base while the ball is dead. When the ball went out of play the runner originally on second base was past third (between third and home). The runner’s “next base” is therefore home. While the ball is dead he may return to second base and retouch at any time prior to touching home plate. However, if the runner advances to and touches home while the ball is dead, he may not return.

The exact same text can be found in the 2014 PBUC manual also.

9 hours ago, JSam21 said:

We would award home based on his location at the time of the throw, but if he properly retouches, then he gets third.

I agree. My question was built around that the umpire might have kicked this piece already and prevented either of the two "correct" things from happening. Either they appeal and runner is out or runner fixes his error and now is awarded third.

• Like 1

Mr. noumpere, I disagree with your answer of “c” for NCAA. Here’s how the 2016 BRD summarizes the relevant NCAA rule—“The NCAA rule requires that the runner attempt to correct his error. He must be returning to his base at or about TOT. That is not relevant in FED or OBR play.” And here is the actual NCAA rule--

2017-18 NCAA rule 8-6 When Runners Are Out on Appeals

a. A runner shall be called out on specific appeals that occur as a result of a base running error when…

Note 2 When the ball is dead, no runner may return to touch a missed base or the one just left if the runner has advanced to and touched a base beyond the missed base.

Note 3 If the runner is attempting to return to his original base after a fly ball that is caught and the ball is thrown out of play, the runner may retouch and the award is made from his original base.

So, at the very least, Mr. maven’s answer of “none of the above” is correct under FED and NCAA rules. Because of a previous misunderstanding, I want to make it abundantly clear—I am agreeing with you, Mr. maven.