Jump to content

Foul Tip vs. Foul "Trap"


Recommended Posts

Russell Martin's nifty foul tip catch yesterday (06/26/2018) was a textbook example of a caught foul tip.

062618_gif_martin_catch_med.gif

Notice the key elements: 1) Sharp and direct to the mitt (or it could have been his throwing hand) first, 2) didn't touch the umpire, batter, or ground, 3) re-caught and secured.

Since this is a foul tip, the ball would remain Live. This being strike three, the batter would be (and was) Out.

Here's an extreme other example to compare and contrast against, again involving Russell Martin –

Notice that the ball goes directly to the mask first. It is inconsequential that the ball was stuck in the eye port (just to defeat the idea that it is "detached equipment" or a "lodged ball") because as soon as it touches the mask, it is Foul (or, thus, Dead). It is also irrelevant had Martin been able to keep the mask from hitting the ground, as again, once the batted ball hits the mask (or his shinguard, or his CP, etc.) it is Foul... unless it hits the mitt or his throwing hand first. 

So any batted ball that hits the catcher other than his mitt or hand first is Foul immediately... regardless if it subsequently trapped or caught.

However, for the sake of discussion, and because I'm curious... had the ball hit Martin's mitt first and then lodged in Martin's mask... what then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm at school now, and yes, it's been changed in OBR. The 2021 rule book/course manual we have reflects the change, and we covered it in class.  So to summarize, OBR and NCAA, sharp and direct to

If I'm not mistaken the definition of a Foul Tip was changed sometime before the season started. Now as long as it hits some part of the catcher, some part of the body or equipment, and is then secure

Foul ball. A CATCH is the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in his hand or glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing he does not use his cap, protector, pocket or any othe

Posted Images

9 hours ago, MadMax said:

However, for the sake of discussion, and because I'm curious... had the ball hit Martin's mitt first and then lodged in Martin's mask... what then?

Foul ball. A CATCH is the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in his hand or glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing he does not use his cap, protector, pocket or any other part of his uniform in getting possession.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:12 PM, MadMax said:

So any batted ball that hits the catcher other than his mitt or hand first is Foul immediately... regardless if it subsequently trapped or caught.

I'm sure that you mean "any batted ball that's hit sharp and direct"...because otherwise, that phrase is totally false.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...

So this year, NCAA if it hits the catcher ANYWHERE and he catches it, we have a caught foul tip and the ball stays fair.

NFHS it's still directly to glove or hand?

OBR still directly to glove or hand?

Just checking if NCAA is the only we know that's changed it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, alex7 said:

So this year, NCAA if it hits the catcher ANYWHERE and he catches it, we have a caught foul tip and the ball stays fair.

NFHS it's still directly to glove or hand?

OBR still directly to glove or hand?

Just checking if NCAA is the only we know that's changed it.

I know OBR is now anywhere on the catcher just like NCAA. Not sure about NFHS

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SJA said:

Sorry guys, can't find any 2021 OBR Rules that have changed the def of Foul Tip. Help me out .

I have it and posted it above. It actually changed last year (2020). I don't have access to 2021 OBR until later this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SJA said:

Well, according to Wendelstedt 2020 / 2021, it's still:

 

WUS Foul Tip.jpg

Well, OBR is the guiding document. So at this point, I this Hunter's book is not accurate.

What's the copyright on the actual text? Did they just put a new cover on? 

It's there word-for-word in 2020 OBR

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

Well, OBR is the guiding document. So at this point, I this Hunter's book is not accurate.

What's the copyright on the actual text? Did they just put a new cover on? 

It's there word-for-word in 2020 OBR

Unless it has changed recently...MLB.com never published the 2020 OBR

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SJA said:

To the best of my knowledge and recently ref as of Dec 2020, it's what I posted above from WUS.

Well, I certainly wouldn't bring it up in front of everyone if you're currently down there at school. 

Pick a time when you can ask somebody about it in private so you're not "that guy" 

If you're trying for a job in MiLB next year...(since I don't believe there are any jobs this year)...don't bring it up at all. Do what you're told. 

Unless it changed from last year, their manual is not correct. 

I did purchase a 2020 OBR last year so I was able to get the changes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SJA said:

No there isn't a  new MLB OBR book to my knowledge. I'm just ref WUS Rules & Interp Manual.

I'll see if I can post the 2020 changes and you can cross reference with your "updated" WUM.

The last WUM I have was the last one you could buy when they sold them publicly which I think was 2015. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this what you're ref too: Official Baseball Rules: Home (umpirebible.com)

Rule 5.09(a)(2) Comment: "Legally caught" means in the catcher's glove before the ball touches the ground. It is not legal if the ball lodges in his clothing or paraphernalia; or if it touches the umpire and is caught by the catcher on the rebound.

If a foul tip first strikes the catcher's glove and then goes on through and is caught by both hands against his body or protector, before the ball touches the ground, it is a strike, and if third strike, batter is out. If smothered against his body or protector, it is a catch provided the ball struck the catcher's glove or hand first.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SJA said:

Sorry guys, can't find any 2021 OBR Rules that have changed the def of Foul Tip. Help me out .

Believe them. NCAA does not lead OBR, they follow OBR. I think hard copy 2020 OBR books have the change. Buy one.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SJA said:

Is this what you're ref too: Official Baseball Rules: Home (umpirebible.com)

Rule 5.09(a)(2) Comment: "Legally caught" means in the catcher's glove before the ball touches the ground. It is not legal if the ball lodges in his clothing or paraphernalia; or if it touches the umpire and is caught by the catcher on the rebound.

If a foul tip first strikes the catcher's glove and then goes on through and is caught by both hands against his body or protector, before the ball touches the ground, it is a strike, and if third strike, batter is out. If smothered against his body or protector, it is a catch provided the ball struck the catcher's glove or hand first.

 

Nope. My 2020 hard copy. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

Nope. My 2020 hard copy. 

 

Well MLB dropped the ball on the hard copy and the online rules. They did change it and NCAA followed. I can't do it now but two or three threads here expounded about it at the beginning of the year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...