Player Ejection

Question

A player is ejected in the 3rd inning.

Must he leave the field or can he stay in the dugout?

And if he has to leave the field, to where? Stands, bus, go home?

Where is this in the rule or case book?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

For FED, players who are ejected must remain in the dugout. This is a safety provision: we don't want angry/upset teenagers running loose around the school grounds. The only specific direction I'

10 answers to this question

Under which rule code?

Under NCAA (2-26-a) he has to leave sight and sound of the field.

Under OBR (6.04.d), he has to leave the dugout, but may "change to street clothes and either leave the park or take a seat in the grandstand well removed from the vicinity of his team’s bench or bullpen."

For FED, players who are ejected must remain in the dugout. This is a safety provision: we don't want angry/upset teenagers running loose around the school grounds.

The only specific direction I've found for this for baseball is in my state's General (officiating) Regulations. Basketball has it in their actual rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, maven said:

For FED, players who are ejected must remain in the dugout. This is a safety provision: we don't want angry/upset teenagers running loose around the school grounds.

The only specific direction I've found for this for baseball is in my state's General (officiating) Regulations. Basketball has it in their actual rules.

Same in NJ. I couldn't remember if it was state mandated or an actual FED rule. I believe it is a state regulation.

LL, you WANT them kept in the dugout unless a parent is there to take them home.  Another Safety precaution.  We wouldn't want lil' Johnny walking home, cross a busy street and get hit by a vehicle.

10 hours ago, maven said:

Agreed. You don't want to be responsible if something happens to the kid.

The answer makes sense to me, I am just looking for that "Coach, by rule he must remain in the dugout"

What FED rule or section reference?

I am in Illinois.

Also, one argument against the dugout is how he could now really rile up his teammates and cause even more trouble. In our game yesterday, the coach sent him to their bus, which worked out well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Didn't there used to be some verbiage that if he was sent to the bus, he had to be supervised?..........I think which in turn, evolved into being restricted to the bench so that he could be supervised....

1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

LL, you WANT them kept in the dugout unless a parent is there to take them home.  Another Safety precaution.  We wouldn't want lil' Johnny walking home, cross a busy street and get hit by a vehicle.

4.07 - When a manager, coach, or player is ejected from a game, they shall leave the field immediately and take no further part in that game. They may not sit in the stands and may not be recalled. A manager or coach ejected from a game must not be present at the game site for the remainder of that game. Any manager, coach, or player ejected from a game is suspended for his or her team’s next physically played game and may not be in attendance at the game site from which they were suspended. This includes pregame and postgame activities.

comment to the rule:

In Little League programs, if the player will not cause a disturbance for the remainder of the game, it’s acceptable, and advisable, to leave him/her in the dugout. At least he/she will be supervised there. However, the player will take no further part in the game, including serving as a base coach or warming up other players.

35 minutes ago, MDFinny said:

Also, one argument against the dugout is how he could now really rile up his teammates and cause even more trouble. In our game yesterday, the coach sent him to their bus, which worked out well.

If an ejected player is causing a disturbance or otherwise engaging in unsporting behavior in the dugout, I will warn and/or restrict the head coach, and he can sit in the dugout and babysit. If coach still can't rein in the miscreant, then I will eject the head coach. Then the tools can enjoy the hot bus together.

As for coach sending his player away, that's none of our business. That should not be part of OUR penalty that WE impose on an ejected player; how coach handles any of his players is entirely his responsibility (though your state might have regulations concerning this situation that would govern his actions).

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.