Totally Confused

BlueRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2235 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

During the pre-season meeting and field training session for my association, I was given two conflicting instructions on positioning on a fly ball situation with runners on. The situation was R1, outs irrelevant, fly ball to right-center. Instructor A said that BU stays put and watches runner and PU has the catch and 3B, but Instructor B said that BU takes fly ball and PU has runner and moves up the line to cover 3B. 

Any clarity here would be great, thanks!

LBS

Instructor "B" is correct. BU has catch/no catch and watches R1 and the touch of 2B and BR touching 1B. PU should be coming up the 3B line, letting you know he's got 3rd if the runner comes. BU #1 priority, obviously, is Catch/no catch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maven said:

Let's be charitable and guess that Instructor A misunderstood, and thought perhaps F9 was moving toward the line. That would make his answer right, too.

Unfortunately for instructor A, he's still wrong if the fly ball is toward the RF line. In that case he would not have R1 into 3B. 

4 hours ago, LoneBlueStar said:

Instructor A said that BU stays put and watches runner and PU has the catch and 3B

11 hours ago, Richvee said:

Unfortunately for instructor A, he's still wrong if the fly ball is toward the RF line. In that case he would not have R1 into 3B.

The phrase "PU has the catch and 3B" is ambiguous, and might mean merely that PU has R1's touch of 3B, not plays on him. And that's correct.

In any case, I think that we've exhaustively gone through the proper mechanics for this play here, which should clarify matters for the OP.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2018 at 6:02 PM, LoneBlueStar said:

During the pre-season meeting and field training session for my association, I was given two conflicting instructions on positioning on a fly ball situation with runners on. The situation was R1, outs irrelevant, fly ball to right-center. Instructor A said that BU stays put and watches runner and PU has the catch and 3B, but Instructor B said that BU takes fly ball and PU has runner and moves up the line to cover 3B. 

Any clarity here would be great, thanks!

LBS

Instructor B is correct, but the Plate Umpire on a fly ball will mirror R1. As soon as the ball drops for a base hit, the PU should communicate, "I've got third if he comes." 

If the ball is caught, the BU should glance over his right shoulder after all the requirements of the catch are completed and look to see if R1 tagged up properly (if he does tag). If the R1 does tag, then the BU will take the play into second base. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

What size field mechanics are you learning? On 60' PU has all fly balls to the outfield... 90... different story.

Unfortunately, all of them :D. Our association wants us to use the 90 mechanics on every field...

But thanks for everyone's help! This makes much more sense now.

On 3/9/2018 at 6:47 AM, LoneBlueStar said:

Unfortunately, all of them :D. Our association wants us to use the 90 mechanics on every field...

But thanks for everyone's help! This makes much more sense now.

Be sure to wear your cup !!

On 3/12/2018 at 6:03 AM, noumpere said:

As opposed to wearing someone else's cup?   Ewww!

Little League Big league game, I ask the catcher, 'got your cup?'....he answers....'OH right....(yells to the bench)...Who has THE cup??"

• Haha 2

On 3/14/2018 at 12:30 PM, blue23ll said:

Little League Big league game, I ask the catcher, 'got your cup?'....he answers....'OH right....(yells to the bench)...Who has THE cup??"

There is a long and humorous back story to this, best told over a cold adult beverage.