All-Star FM 25mlx mask with bent bar

The1yankee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2248 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I just traded this mask at play it again sports for 2 mitts with no value to me, as they were collecting dust in closet last 5 yes

I noticed the mask has a slight bend on one of U bars thats welded to bottom crossbar.

Seems no welds are broke and mask seems to have not lost any protection integrity by bar being slightly bent, IMHO.

Here's pictures of bend n mask. Seemed like a good piece for free, or trading something I didn't have any value for

QUESTION: CAN AND WOULD U USE THIS MASK TO UMPIRE WITH, WITH THE BEND??

SHOULD I NOT USE IT??

IF I CAN USE IT, WOULD I WANT TO PUT SOME, TW OR WILSON DOESKIN PADS IN IT, AS IT SEEMS THESE PADS ARE THIN?

THANKS FOR THE HELP

34 minutes ago, The1yankee said:

Why the dyna flex harness isn't allowed for umires

Or just sux

The delta flex (I think is what it's called) harness is designed for catchers who wear helmets. It's much harder to take off of a hat. Plus it does look a little funny.

6 hours ago, The1yankee said:

Ya always thought of a thong, for some reason whenever I saw that dyna flex mask harness lol

I've heard it called a panties harness.  It looks really bad on an umpire. IMO

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, umpstu said:

I've heard it called a panties harness.  It looks really bad on an umpire. IMO

LOL.  I haven't heard that, but I can see the resemblance.

I've tried it and it might be great for a catcher using a hard hat, but it's really bad for an umpire.  

Mine was black, but still didn't like the look and the fit is terrible and I wear a 7 3/8 hat and I couldn't get it tight enough.

On 3/4/2018 at 7:21 PM, The1yankee said:

Was gonna grab a lil black gloss nail polish, touch up paint chipped spots, swap out pads

I really like the weight, seems like a nice light mid range  mask

That's if its safe to do JV HS ball n under

That looks like an FM25 (new model).  All Star makes very good masks and they're tested for safety.  Even with the bend, I'd say that while the mask may be safe for use, I would agree with gnhbua93 as to getting it fixed.   For around $50 you can get it fixed and a new powder coat put in place with the color of your choosing from Tony at Mask-It Sports.

Mask-It!  Mask-It!  Mask-It!  

http://maskitsports.com/

Total cost is $45.50 plus your cost to ship to Tony.  The powder coat finish is flawless.  He will fix your dent.  He will sand or remove any burrs in your wire intersections.  It will look brand new and serve you for years barring any 100mph fastballs straight to the face.  (I hate balls to the face!)

I sent a Wilson low-profile Ti and a Wilson low-pro Cro-Moly steel with the vinyl burned off of it to him in January. Took about a week and a half to get them back. The Ti is in flat black-looks awesome.  The Cro-Moly is in Gunmetal Gray.  Wow!  So sexy.  Can't decide to go with tan pads or black pads or find some light gray pads for the gunmetal.  There are 3 ounces between the weight in the bare masks.

1 hour ago, Majordave said:

Mask-It!  Mask-It!  Mask-It!  

http://maskitsports.com/

Total cost is $45.50 plus your cost to ship to Tony.  The powder coat finish is flawless.  He will fix your dent.  He will sand or remove any burrs in your wire intersections.  It will look brand new and serve you for years barring any 100mph fastballs straight to the face.  (I hate balls to the face!)

I sent a Wilson low-profile Ti and a Wilson low-pro Cro-Moly steel with the vinyl burned off of it to him in January. Took about a week and a half to get them back. The Ti is in flat black-looks awesome.  The Cro-Moly is in Gunmetal Gray.  Wow!  So sexy.  Can't decide to go with tan pads or black pads or find some light gray pads for the gunmetal.  There are 3 ounces between the weight in the bare masks.

I love taking vinyl off masks.  I feel like I'm saving the masks life by removing the vinyl.  It starts off as an ugly and heavy mask, but then comes out looking so much cleaner and nicer.

You started me on it after I read your posts about spray painting one after removing the vinyl.  Now, I have 4 Wilson WTA3007 masks with the vinyl removed.  They are SOOO much lighter without the vinyl.   Not to mention, the thinner bars give much greater vision and the mask looks better.   I need to send a couple off to Tony but going to have to wait for some game checks to start rolling in.

First game is Saturday!

• Like 2

Here’s an idea for you, @The1yankee... Get a new harness for that mask. Get another set of pads, if you wish, but you’re under no urgency to do so, as those stock All-Star LUCs will do just fine. Use the mask on paid games until you can purchase another mask that will be your primary gamer-workhorse. Then send that FM25 off to Tony to get fixed and powdercoated.

Tony will of course fix it. The part you bent is called the wicket (the other, on the upper, is the bullring). Tony has fixed no less than 6 of mine (my colleagues and I are doing 300-400 games per year). He’ll also powdercoat it for you, and on a FM25, not only will it end up looking hella-thin, but the sky’s the limit on color.

May I suggest a color that would allow you to do navy games or black games? Maybe a silver, or liquid gunmetal? You can put black pads in it, or tan pads, or swap in navy pads if/when games are conducted with navy shirts (which, east of the Mississippi are far too often). Yeah, your primary gamer is rigged for games in black trim, and you use it 90% of the time, but once in a while, you’ll get that game where your partner has nothing but Navy, or the kids are known terrors and you don’t want to bend your primary gamer.

• Like 4

One thing to keep in mind about Tony...

We keep the man busy. Along with the other stuff he does (like flaunt over his lovely wife.)

Make sure when you send your mask to him, that you have another one to use (in season) or get it to him early enough that he will have plenty of time to do it right  (off season). Depending on when you do it, it could day a week up to a month for you to get it back.

I sent him a silver Diamond Featherweight. He fixed the weld, did some cosmetic surgery for me on it, and sent it back to me. Total time from me to him and back... around 3.5 weeks. Mind you, I also sent it to him just after he left for a week on vacation along with weather issues between me and him.

Moral of this all... make sure you plan it out so you don't get caught in an awkward situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

.....Moral of this all... make sure you plan it out so you don't get caught in an awkward situation. 

The 6 P’s:

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

• Like 1