Jump to content
  • 0

Infield fly rule


Guest mike
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3509 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Posted

NFHS game...bases loaded one out. Batter hits hi pop in infield, batter is called out on IFF for out number 2.  Second baseman has popup kick off heel of his glove...runner from 3b comes across the plate as the 2b thinking he can get runner moving from 1b to 2b. They get the force out at 2b. I believe the correct call would be run scores and there has to be a tag at 2b to get an out. Correct?

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
Posted
NFHS game...bases loaded one out. Batter hits hi pop in infield, batter is called out on IFF for out number 2.  Second baseman has popup kick off heel of his glove...runner from 3b comes across the plate as the 2b thinking he can get runner moving from 1b to 2b. They get the force out at 2b. I believe the correct call would be run scores and there has to be a tag at 2b to get an out. Correct?

Correct. There's no force as the batter was called out on the IFF. Any out at that point becomes a time play. Did the run score before the 3rd out was made? If yes, count it. If no, don't.
  • Like 2
  • 0
Posted
25 minutes ago, ALStripes17 said:


Correct. There's no force as the batter was called out on the IFF. Any out at that point becomes a time play. Did the run score before the 3rd out was made? If yes, count it. If no, don't.

Which is I recommend to new umps that when they point and call the infield fly they say to themselves "no force". I think there is a video of an upper level umpire calling the "force out" after a dropped infield fly.

  • 0
Posted
Which is I recommend to new umps that when they point and call the infield fly they say to themselves "no force". I think there is a video of an upper level umpire calling the "force out" after a dropped infield fly.

Always fun to explain in 9-10 year old baseball games when the fly ball is dropped and runners just take off... Lol
  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted
3 hours ago, ALStripes17 said:


Always fun to explain in 9-10 year old baseball games when the fly ball is dropped and runners just take off... Lol

This gets exacerbated when the parents don't understand the rule and they're screaming "run" when the ball drops.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted
This gets exacerbated when the parents don't understand the rule and they're screaming "run" when the ball drops.

Is it bad that I actually get enjoyment out of umpiring in those situations?
  • Like 3
  • 0
Posted
27 minutes ago, ALStripes17 said:


Is it bad that I actually get enjoyment out of umpiring in those situations?

Anything to break the monotony.  I frankly hope any umpire is laughing his ass off in that situation.  Not only for the total chaos it creates.   It's got to look funny to an umpire to see a coach struggling between telling his players to stay on their base, and doing everything he can to not yell "STFU" to the parents in the stands who are louder than he is.  And the only reason I never actually yelled "STFU" is not because I was trying to be polite or watch my language in front of the kids, but because I didn't want to get tossed.   Believe me, in the moment, something as polite as "please stop talking" is not what is going to come out of my mouth.

  • 0
Posted

When we understand our terminology we don't make these errors.  Part of a force out is when a batter becomes a runner.  The entire intent of the IFF is to remove the batter as a runner which eliminates all forces.  Umpires should spend the most time in the definitions portion of the rule book.  IMO it's the most important part of the entire book.  We must understand the terminology to understand the rest of the book.

  • Like 2
  • 0
Posted
On 2/16/2017 at 2:06 PM, beerguy55 said:

This gets exacerbated when the parents don't understand the rule and they're screaming "run" when the ball drops.

Don't get me started on parents lol. Some of them are okay, but majority believe they know everything.

  • 0
Posted
1 hour ago, lkasnu said:

Don't get me started on parents lol. Some of them are okay, but majority believe they know everything.

Unless you can find me 12 orphans I'll probably never coach again.

  • 0
Posted
2 hours ago, lkasnu said:

Don't get me started on parents lol. Some of them are okay, but majority believe they know everything.

Well they do. Just ask them.

  • Like 3
  • 0
Posted
1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

Unless you can find me 12 orphans I'll probably never coach again.

I enjoy coaching, but its not as enjoyable in a non-competetive league.

×
×
  • Create New...