Batter-Runner retreating toward home plate

VolUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2677 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

8 hours ago, Jimurray said:

This got voted (do they vote) down in 2012:

"22 8-4-1l (new) Modify:...l. After a fair batted or bunted ball he steps back toward home plate to avoid or delay a tag by a fielder. The batter-runner is out and the ball remains live.

Rationale: By not having a batter-runner retreat rule we allow the offense to have an advantage over the defense. The lack of the rule enables a batter-runner to run toward first base, stop, and then run backward toward home plate in order to create a near run-down situation, confusing the defensive players and prohibiting them from tagging the batter-runner and making a subsequent play on another advancing runner. I have no problem with a batter-runner stopping halfway up the line to allow a defender to tag him, but retreating to delay the inevitable gives the offense too much leeway. Jim Angele Nebraska"

Stuff like this just makes me wonder sometimes........There's so many FED rules that could be changed to align better with OBR (without compromising player safety), and someone who has some "say" over these changes elects to take time and effort to get a rule like this changed???  :HS

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

Stuff like this just makes me wonder sometimes........There's so many FED rules that could be changed to align better with OBR (without compromising player safety), and someone who has some "say" over these changes elects to take time and effort to get a rule like this changed???  :HS

Not to hijack the thread but, why do we have multiple rule sets (OBR, FED, NCAA) for reasons other than player safety? Why do we have different rules regarding runners hit by a batted ball or balks? Why not just have one book and then modify things like pitch counts and substitutions? 

4 hours ago, Stk004 said:

Not to hijack the thread but, why do we have multiple rule sets (OBR, FED, NCAA) for reasons other than player safety? Why do we have different rules regarding runners hit by a batted ball or balks? Why not just have one book and then modify things like pitch counts and substitutions? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

Just now, Stk004 said:

Same week? Please, I've done both on the same day.

it's harder to stay up for 2-3 days at 40.

Edited by udbrky
Maybe requires some illegal powder, from what I've heard. Never used it though.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Stk004 said:

NIH ("Not Invented Here") - basically an attitude of "we can do better".

I do like what USSSA does, for instance. They use OBR, but with exceptions. That keeps them from diverging too much.

On Fri Dec 30 2016 at 10:37 PM, Stk004 said:

20 hours ago, udbrky said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20 hours ago, Stk004 said:

That's quite the good morning (or goodnight, in my case) post. Very detailed ;)

People always say someone's a night owl or early bird, but what is it if you can do both in the same week?

Same week? Please, I've done both on the same day.

it's harder to stay up for 2-3 days at 40.

It's even harder to talk myself into doing my homework on a holiday break. 

Your teachers suck.

Relay that to my calculus, literature, biology, and civics teachers. :fuel:

14 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Once you get into full time work there will be no school/college type holiday break so stop whining. :)

12 hours ago, kylehutson said:

NIH ("Not Invented Here") - basically an attitude of "we can do better".

I do like what USSSA does, for instance. They use OBR, but with exceptions. That keeps them from diverging too much.

11 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

Hijack notice!!!

Some of us still get those breaks......:stir

10 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

You must be a teacher.

THIS... right here. Is how you hijack a thread ladies and gentlemen. :clap:(that is supposed to be a "slow clap" but Warren doesn't have that emoji on here.)

• Like 1