Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3771 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

In the NC State/Miami game last week, an NC State player hit a home run to take the lead in the bottom of the 8th.  As the batter admired his shot, you could see the PU shout something at him that was basically, "Get moving!"  I've never seen that before but thought it was a good idea at the college level.

Sure enough, a Miami player hits a shot in the top of the 9th to take the lead back, and gives it a good long look, accompanied by a Bautista-level bat flip.  As he approaches the plate, the NC State F2 is standing in the baseline waiting for him and PU is proactively (with his mask on, interestingly enough) trying to clear the area and keep order.  There was some jawing back and forth, but it didn't escalate thanks to the PU.

Have you ever told a batter to get moving while he admires his HR shot?  Here's some video highlights.  On the NC State player's shot, you can see him look back but can't see PU telling him to run.

 

Posted

I've done it (not at D1) -- and also done it on a HBP.  IT let's the other team know that you've seen it and that they don't need to take matters into their own hands.

  • Like 1
Posted

Absolutely. Most recently in the playoffs and have gone so far as to be the pace setter for the batter.  Helps take care of possible future situations.

Posted

I know collegiate umpires can't do it but I've talked with a pro guy who said he actually pushed a batter-runner to get him moving! That's awesome!! 

Posted
7 minutes ago, JDavis225 said:

I know collegiate umpires can't do it but I've talked with a pro guy who said he actually pushed a batter-runner to get him moving! That's awesome!! 

 

Posted

I yelled at a bunch of players this year.. and 1 of them mainly in the conference tourny.. he also did a bat flip in another game, and when he came to bat I told him " no bat flips"

×
×
  • Create New...