RLI

ALStripes17
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2994 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Finally got my first RLI as a PU. Final score ended up being 2-1.

1st run scored in the top of the 4th inning on an R3 only safety squeeze. Bunt is down the 1BL. I get 1BLX and see the runner touch the plate as the ball is being fielded about 2 feet fair. BR decides to run in fair territory the last 30 ft of the baseline. Throw goes just over his shoulder and F3 is dodging the throw as runner and throw come to same spot (throw goes off F3's glove and into RF.

Easy "That's INT, that's INT, the runner is out!" Turn around to HP (got about 3-4 steps up line) "Score the run, score the run!"

Had to explain to the OTHC that it was a very obvious RLI, then had to explain to DTHC that the run scored before the RLI occurred.

Its a great feeling to get a call like that with every detail of the call coming together perfectly. Thought I would share that feeling with everyone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, ALStripes17 said:

Easy "That's INT, that's INT, the runner is out!" Turn around to HP (got about 3-4 steps up line) "Score the run, score the run!"

Had to explain to the OTHC that it was a very obvious RLI, then had to explain to DTHC that the run scored before the RLI occurred.

I hate to be a killjoy.

If there were 2 outs, and the BR made the third out before touching 1B....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Safety squeeze. Figure 0, 1 out.

I thought that, too, but then why would he need to sell "Score the run!" Why would it make any difference if the run scored before the out unless 2 were out?

4 minutes ago, Richvee said:

FED rules I hope.

Relevance?

14 minutes ago, maven said:

I thought that, too, but then why would he need to sell "Score the run!" Why would it make any difference if the run scored before the out unless 2 were out?

True...

Relevance?

OBR and NCAA are TOP for baserunners on RLI. There was no intervening play on R3 at the plate. FED places runners TOI on RLV.

Relevance?

Score the run was due to the idea that most people would believe the runner has to return due to the interference.

Similar concept when we say "That's nothing" on a play that coaches or players may think was a violation.

Yes FED rules, thought it was a fair assumption when it was posted under the 'High School' thread (assuming Tapatalk put the thread where I clicked)

7 minutes ago, maven said:

Relevance?

In FED the INT happened at TOI which might be time of throw if you ascribe to their video interp. Thus it might be useful to score the run if you thought anyone in the ballpark had a clue.

I don't know why you would hope for FED rules in this sit.

5 minutes ago, ALStripes17 said:

Score the run was due to the idea that most people would believe the runner has to return due to the interference.

Similar concept when we say "That's nothing" on a play that coaches or players may think was a violation.

Yes FED rules, thought it was a fair assumption when it was posted under the 'High School' thread (assuming Tapatalk put the thread where I clicked)

My bad. I just click on unread threads. Forget sometimes to check which thread.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, conbo61 said:

Quality of throw?  Although it does not seem to apply in this case.

What difference does quality of throw make in this play?  it's either RLI or not, and whether the runners return to TOI or TOP depends on the code (and perhaps any intervening play, which also is not relevant here)

That said, I wouldn't make a big deal about "score that run" even in a FED game.  Just let it stand..

2 hours ago, noumpere said:

What difference does quality of throw make in this play?  it's either RLI or not, and whether the runners return to TOI or TOP depends on the code (and perhaps any intervening play, which also is not relevant here)

That said, I wouldn't make a big deal about "score that run" even in a FED game.  Just let it stand..

So FED is TOI, correct? NCAA is TOP in this situation w/o intervening play, correct?  What is OBR, same as NCAA?

1 hour ago, indianaumpire15 said:

So FED is TOI, correct? NCAA is TOP in this situation w/o intervening play, correct?  What is OBR, same as NCAA?

You are correct for NCAA. If the interference happens before the B/R reaches first, the runners return to TOP bases. I assume OBR is the same but I don't know for sure. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, indianaumpire15 said:

12 hours ago, Richvee said:

OBR and NCAA are TOP for baserunners on RLI. There was no intervening play on R3 at the plate. FED places runners TOI on RLV.

• Like 1

The OP is another example of a major rule difference between FED and NCAA/MLB.  No requirement for an intervening play in FED in order to score R3; he just has to return to his TOI base in FED...which may be home plate.

46 minutes ago, lawump said:

The OP is another example of a major rule difference between FED and NCAA/MLB.  No requirement for an intervening play in FED in order to score R3; he just has to return to his TOI base in FED...which may be home plate.

C'mon now: you're going to prompt someone to ask whether R3 has to retouch home!

Once R3 scores legally, he is no longer a runner. So he is not required to return anywhere by the INT penalties, which require "runners," not "retired/scored runners," to return to their TOI/TOP bases.

46 minutes ago, maven said:

C'mon now: you're going to prompt someone to ask whether R3 has to retouch home!

Once R3 scores legally, he is no longer a runner. So he is not required to return anywhere by the INT penalties, which require "runners," not "retired/scored runners," to return to their TOI/TOP bases.

Not what I was implying (though I may have unintentionally done so).   You're correct.

Not being one to get dissuaded by past responses to my questions, I'll ask these two and brace myself. Hopefully others can learn from it, too.

1. I wasn't sure from the OP, but if the INT was called prior to the runner scoring, I'd think the run wouldn't count since INT is an immediate dead ball. Is that correct?

2. Even if the runner touched the plate prior to INT, since it was the third out by BR advancing to 1B, per 9-1-1 Exception A, the run wouldn't score. Correct?

25 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

Not being one to get dissuaded by past responses to my questions, I'll ask these two and brace myself. Hopefully others can learn from it, too.

1. I wasn't sure from the OP, but if the INT was called prior to the runner scoring, I'd think the run wouldn't count since INT is an immediate dead ball. Is that correct?

2. Even if the runner touched the plate prior to INT, since it was the third out by BR advancing to 1B, per 9-1-1 Exception A, the run wouldn't score. Correct?

1. Yes: immediate dead ball, runners return to their TOI bases (FED). In the OP, the run scored before the INT.
  2. If it had been the third out, you would be correct. As others have pointed out, a safety squeeze is almost always run with 0 or 1 outs, so we do not have the BR making the 3rd out in the OP.
  • Like 1