Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4051 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I use and swear by the Majestic CoolBase Convertible Jacket. 1/4 zip, with zip-off sleeves. Breathable, but windbreaking at the same time – I actually wear it as BU far, far more than my actual umpire jackets.

Available in Black (real tough time finding it) and Navy (try here: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161400746510&globalID=EBAY-US ). Majestic should keep making these, dammit, as this is a great jacket.

Otherwise, my experience at Nike and REI has me looking at Marmot, Mammut, Mountain Hardwear, The North Face, Patagonia, Arc'Teryx (beware the sticker shock), REI -brand, etc. to find a breathable wind jacket. A soft-shell. The trouble you run into with the sports companies (Nike, UA, Adidas) is the jackets are usually in loud colors (for visibility), or have very noticeable logo placements. The outdoor activities companies, especially the more "sedate" ones (REI, Eddie Bauer, Patagonia, etc.) will not only do a jacket in black, but will be very discreet with the logo.

Why not the "lesser known" sports / officials jackets? Because usually, those companies (Starter, Champion, etc) don't have the access to or quantities of the technical fabrics that really make a garment perform. Their jackets feel like vinyl, and you get more wet and cold from your own sweat than you do from anything the jacket is supposed to protect you from.

The jacket you noted is an actual jacket, albeit a pull-over one. It has a degree of thermal insulation, and is long (as you noticed) for a reason – it's designed to be tucked in.

  • Like 3
Posted

I second the Majestic convertible.  I wear it quite a bit, especially in men's league.  Beyond comfortable with any wind.  Available in black and navy.  Also if you typically wear an XL get a large.  They run big.  I'd be swimming in a XL, whereas I wear XL Honig's umpire polos.

Posted

Majestic converible all the way. I have one in black and wear it alot. Thinking about getting one to wear in Navy as I hate wearing a navy umpire shirt but the jackets are cool looking

Posted

I use and swear by the Majestic CoolBase Convertible Jacket. 1/4 zip, with zip-off sleeves. Breathable, but windbreaking at the same time – I actually wear it as BU far, far more than my actual umpire jackets.

Available in Black (real tough time finding it) and Navy (try here: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161400746510&globalID=EBAY-US ). Majestic should keep making these, dammit, as this is a great jacket.

Otherwise, my experience at Nike and REI has me looking at Marmot, Mammut, Mountain Hardwear, The North Face, Patagonia, Arc'Teryx (beware the sticker shock), REI -brand, etc. to find a breathable wind jacket. A soft-shell. The trouble you run into with the sports companies (Nike, UA, Adidas) is the jackets are usually in loud colors (for visibility), or have very noticeable logo placements. The outdoor activities companies, especially the more "sedate" ones (REI, Eddie Bauer, Patagonia, etc.) will not only do a jacket in black, but will be very discreet with the logo.

Why not the "lesser known" sports / officials jackets? Because usually, those companies (Starter, Champion, etc) don't have the access to or quantities of the technical fabrics that really make a garment perform. Their jackets feel like vinyl, and you get more wet and cold from your own sweat than you do from anything the jacket is supposed to protect you from.

The jacket you noted is an actual jacket, albeit a pull-over one. It has a degree of thermal insulation, and is long (as you noticed) for a reason – it's designed to be tucked in.

Maybe some day @MadMax will learn to participate and contribute! LOL!! :D  Thanks Max!

Do you know, have you seen the 'new' lightweight zip up jacket with the gray zippers and white wrist stripes they're wearing now?  It's a Majestic, but no one can ID it.

Posted

I use and swear by the Majestic CoolBase Convertible Jacket. 1/4 zip, with zip-off sleeves. Breathable, but windbreaking at the same time – I actually wear it as BU far, far more than my actual umpire jackets.

Available in Black (real tough time finding it) and Navy (try here: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161400746510&globalID=EBAY-US ). Majestic should keep making these, dammit, as this is a great jacket.

Otherwise, my experience at Nike and REI has me looking at Marmot, Mammut, Mountain Hardwear, The North Face, Patagonia, Arc'Teryx (beware the sticker shock), REI -brand, etc. to find a breathable wind jacket. A soft-shell. The trouble you run into with the sports companies (Nike, UA, Adidas) is the jackets are usually in loud colors (for visibility), or have very noticeable logo placements. The outdoor activities companies, especially the more "sedate" ones (REI, Eddie Bauer, Patagonia, etc.) will not only do a jacket in black, but will be very discreet with the logo.

Why not the "lesser known" sports / officials jackets? Because usually, those companies (Starter, Champion, etc) don't have the access to or quantities of the technical fabrics that really make a garment perform. Their jackets feel like vinyl, and you get more wet and cold from your own sweat than you do from anything the jacket is supposed to protect you from.

The jacket you noted is an actual jacket, albeit a pull-over one. It has a degree of thermal insulation, and is long (as you noticed) for a reason – it's designed to be tucked in.

I agree Max i love my majestic coolbase convertible. I wear it all the time. Had to wear a couple times this summer due to my black shirt getting bleached. Even in the Florida heat i still felt great. The best thing i love about this jacket is that i got it for $28 w/ free shipping on baseball express :cool:

Posted

OK.. I guess I'm missing something... (but what's new there)

This doesn't look like an umpire jacket.  No white strips or trim or anything.  Are you guys talking about a different jacket?

 

$_57.JPG

Posted

OK.. I guess I'm missing something... (but what's new there)

This doesn't look like an umpire jacket.  No white strips or trim or anything.  Are you guys talking about a different jacket?

 

$_57.JPG

That is the Coolbase we're discussing.  The pros wear this currently (in black obviously)

Posted

get a black one if you can find it, I have the other jacket like above in your original post except honigs version. The coolbase is my favorite to wear until it gets cold then I go for the heavy majestic/honigs jacket. With the  coolbase you can take off sleeves when you need it. It is somewhat water resistant, have wore mine plenty of times when it started raining and you can throw a underarmour or nike cold weather long sleeve on then throw the coolbase on top of that and stay warm. It looks sharp and is very funcational

Posted (edited)

During the Cubs game last night, U1 and U2 (U1 for sure) were wearing the cool base and Gerry Davis as U3 was wearing the new style with the white accents.  I thought it was a little weird but they make the big bucks.

Edited by indianaumpire15
Posted

But... but... where are the white accent strips / trim / etc?  They are just plain black?

we're talking about the cool base 1/4 zip jacket, ...not the jersey.   The coolbase 1/4 zip jacket only has a white Majestic logo on the left sleeve

Posted

During the Cubs game last night, U1 and U2 (U1 for sure) were wearing the cool base and Gerry Davis as U3 was wearing the new style with the white accents.  I thought it was a little weird but they make the big bucks.

YES ...that's the one I'm talking about.  Pretty sharp if you ask me.

Posted (edited)

So there's really nothing that differentiates this jacket from any other "regular" jacket?  This could just be something you wear outside on a cool fall day.  NOT umpire specific then?

Edited by stl_ump
Posted

Honig's does make a convertible jacket with white on it but I have no experience with it

I tried it on at a meeting where they had a booth set up. Didn't like it nearly as much as the majestics. The sleeves run short and just didn't fit well overall. Still trying to find a black majestic in XL. no one seems to have it. Would be nice for fall ball here, and early spring ball.

Posted

That is the Coolbase we're discussing.  The pros wear this currently (in black obviously)

I have a Black (in Large) and a Navy (in Large), and I take them with me to every game, every tournament. The Black one looks top-notch, while the Navy one complements any Navy-trim shirt my partner(s) might wear (Navy, Red, White, Powder, etc.).

OK.. I guess I'm missing something... (but what's new there)

This doesn't look like an umpire jacket.  No white strips or trim or anything.  Are you guys talking about a different jacket?

Personally (and professionally, I guess, because I have been designated "The Fashion Police"), I would be more receptive to a BU partner showing up with an unadorned, simple jacket like...

... than an out-of-date, frumpy, (usually) faded ol' one of these...

Honestly, who designs this crap?!

Posted

Still trying to find a black majestic in XL. no one seems to have it. Would be nice for fall ball here, and early spring ball.

You and me both. I kept putting off buying one thinking they'd be available again "next season", now I'm kicking myself for not picking one up when I had the chance. Anyone got any leads on an L or XL?

Posted

I use and swear by the Majestic CoolBase Convertible Jacket. 1/4 zip, with zip-off sleeves. Breathable, but windbreaking at the same time – I actually wear it as BU far, far more than my actual umpire jackets...Majestic should keep making these, dammit, as this is a great jacket.

 

Just received word that Smitty will be taking up the slack from Majestic and make this style jacket for 2016. Not sure on colors but am assuming both navy and black.

×
×
  • Create New...