he actually said that out loud?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3242 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

There is a guy that just coached my son's rec 12U team that still tells me this, even though for 5 years of me knowing him I have told him this is incorrect. One day he told me, "It's in the book, look it up!". So I pulled out my copy and handed it to him and said, "You show me where it says that, and I will never doubt you again."

I'm still waiting for him to show me. I even brought him the softball version as well.

• Like 1

There is a guy that just coached my son's rec 12U team that still tells me this, even though for 5 years of me knowing him I have told him this is incorrect. One day he told me, "It's in the book, look it up!". So I pulled out my copy and handed it to him and said, "You show me where it says that, and I will never doubt you again."

I'm still waiting for him to show me. I even brought him the softball version as well.

​One of these days he's gonna quote you 6.06(k) and 7.08(e).
Rules say the batter/runner is out if tagged before base touch. If there is a tie (and you believe in such things), the criteria for an out has not been met. So per the rules a tie does go to the runner (SAFE).

Wonk alert - Because the speed of sound is 340m/s and the speed of light is 300,000,000m/s, if you perceive a tie (sound of ball hitting glove and sight of the base being touched arriving at you at the same time),  then the tag had to have happened before the touch ( in order for the "slow" sound to have reached your ears at the same time as the "faster" sight reaches your eyes) = HE'S OUT.

So if he goes rule book on you, you should go physics book on him...works every time....haw

• Like 1

​One of these days he's gonna quote you 6.06(k) and 7.08(e).Rules say the batter/runner is out if tagged before base touch. If there is a tie (and you believe in such things), the criteria for an out has not been met. So per the rules a tie does go to the runner (SAFE).

Wonk alert - Because the speed of sound is 340m/s and the speed of light is 300,000,000m/s, if you perceive a tie (sound of ball hitting glove and sight of the base being touched arriving at you at the same time),  then the tag had to have happened before the touch ( in order for the "slow" sound to have reached your ears at the same time as the "faster" sight reaches your eyes) = HE'S OUT.

So if he goes rule book on you, you should go physics book on him...works every time....haw

​@rick56, I just told him there is no such thing as a tie. It's an umpire's judgment as to which happened first. You, as a coach can't argue judgment calls, unless you like sitting in your car for the rest of the game, the ump got the call right.

Tell your runner to go faster next time. 

• Like 1

​@rick56, I just told him there is no such thing as a tie. It's an umpire's judgment as to which happened first. You, as a coach can't argue judgment calls, unless you like sitting in your car for the rest of the game, the ump got the call right.

Tell your runner to go faster next time. 

Which happened first would work. ​It is innapropriate to say a tie goes to the runner as an umpire. Ties are not addressed in the rulebook. But what are not ties are addressed. It is appropriate, however, to know what to say and what the rulebook says when a close play happens. "Ball beat the runner" would work. "Runner beat the ball" would work. "Runner did not beat the ball" would work. "Ball did not beat the runner" would not work.

Reminds when I was playing hit a shot down firstbase line, man on base so no help from filed ump. PU said I did not see so we will call

it a do over . The field ump came and saved the day I guess told to pick either fair or foul. He said foul which it really was so no beef from me, besides if I was that good to do it again I would in the majors not playing in an adult league.

All I know is, half of the people there will think you're blind and ought to retire.

​Until the next play and then the other half will think you're blind and ought to retire so by the end of an inning 100% of the people that aren't dressed like you will think you are blind and ought to retire.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...