Bait and Switch

UmpIowa
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3230 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was watching my son's 12U USSSA tournament on Saturday.  At this point it was just pool play and at a complex I had never been at before.  It was a nice 4 field complex with what I thought to be nice fields for the area.  A local assignor I know was there and approached me about doing a game the following day.

I make it policy to never work a tournament or game my son is in and this tournament was in a smaller town outside the metro area and I typically don't work those either as I find them to be put together pretty poorly and seem to me that they are nothing more than a money grab for the team hosting.

But the assignor was in a bind and needed me to work only 1 game the following day right before my son's game so I agreed.  The pool play games only had 1 umpire working them, which is common for this age group in the area during pool play.  The following day I was assured that there would be 2 umpires on the field as it was no longer pool play.  He asked me to work the plate since I was only doing 1 game.  Again, I agreed.

The following day the games were in a neighboring town and the host of the tournament.  I arrived about 40 minutes prior to game time to get ready and meet my partner.  Since we were the first game of the day no one was really there.  I walked out to the field and was a bit surprised.  We had gone from a nice complex with above average fields to something else entirely.

The infield had weeds growing in it, some of them pretty tall.  The outfield had pretty ugly looking grass and gopher trails running thru it.  There was no OF fence though I suppose if the ball were to roll into the creek that ran across the OF it would be a HR according to field rule.

As game time approached I did not see my partner anywhere.  I began to walk to the field with the Tournament Director as my partner arrived at the field.  The TD introduced us and then let me in on the secret that to save money they hire 1 umpire to work the dish and get a volunteer who "knows baseball" to work the field.  I am not happy.  My partner is wearing khaki cargo shorts and a Cardinals hat.  If the shorts weren't bad enough the Cards, really.

As we get to the field the TD said we needed to get the game started so we could run on time and pointed to the higher seeded team and said home team and playball.  No plate meeting no talking with my partner.  Just get at it.  Again, not happy.

The game is going pretty well.  Of all the trepidation that I had the pitching was really good and the game was moving right along.  Lots of strike outs and some good fielding.  Low scoring game but good baseball.

We ran into a few hickups early on.  There was a IF single and a close play at first.  The BU had poor positioning and from where I was and giving the "ear test" I would have had the runner safe if I were solo, he called BR out.  HTHC who was on offense was a bit upset about it, but nothing too major.  Between innings the BU comes to me and asked what I thought about the play and I said that it was his call to make and I liked that he stuck to his call.  He said good and then he said "Well the tie goes to the runner, right."  I think my jaw dropped.  Not only is there no such thing as a tie, but it makes no sense.  He called the runner out.

In the 3rd inning HT at bat again.  They have a well hit ball to the OF and a runner comes home to tie the game.  I could clearly see that he did not touch the plate.  Apparently, some of the VT mom's could see the same thing and began to yell for the pitcher to throw the ball home which he did for the runner to be called out.  HTHC again a bit upset but not bad and we move along.

Finally, in the bottom of the 6th, the last inning, with the HT down by 2 it just got bad.  R2 with 2 outs.  BR hits a well hit ball to left CF.  BU does not move from the B position and yes he should have been in C.  I step out a bit and luckily there was no catch on the ball.  I set up at home as it is clear that the play is coming here.  The VT sets up a double cut off from the OF with F1 being the 2nd cutoff man.  As I am setting up for the play at the plate it is becoming clear that the play will be close but the timing will benefit the OT.  F1 snags the cut off and cuts to 3B in a great move.  I watch R2 touch the plate and look up to see the tag on the BR at 3rd.

Only problem is I don't see BU anywhere.  I look around a bit and he is basically at 2B.  He yells up to me and says "What do you got?"  I begin to walk to the mound area to meet with him to discuss the play.  I signal for him to come to the mound area as well.  Before I make it there he has asked 2 more times "What do you got?" and pointing at me.  He has also not made any movement to the mound to discuss.  I signal the out to end the game.  As I turn to head back to the plate area I hear "Safe" from my partner and turn to see him call BR safe at 3rd.  WTH.

Both coaches leave their respective dugouts and come to me as I am "the umpire".  One argues I called him out and I am "the umpire" the other argues it is BU's call.  BU is off in RF at this point talking to someone outside of the field.  I agree that it was the BU call to make and reluctantly give the base to BR.  HT wins the game later in the inning.

After the game parents are yelling and are mad.  Rightfully so.  My partner says to me as we are walking off the field "You made quite the crap burger with that call.  How did it taste."  I had to bite my tongue to just walk away.  Later on I saw the assignor and basically told him what had happened and asked him why he did not tell me about the non-umpire/umpires working the field that day.  He replied that I would not have come if he had said that.  I just walked away feeling that I had failed as an umpire for that day and validated in my belief to never work those small tournaments again.

How much do the teams pay to play? that wouldn't fly in nor Cal, teams pay 400-500 to play in a tournament.

i think you would be better off telling the assignor that you would work it yourself....

How much do the teams pay to play? that wouldn't fly in nor Cal, teams pay 400-500 to play in a tournament.

i think you would be better off telling the assignor that you would work it yourself....

It is about the $400 range. Not sure exactly for this tournament but that is around the average. Some of the larger more established tournaments are closer to the $500 mark. 

They're paying that much for tourneys and only get one "quality" umpire?  Tourneys around here are are 150-250 depending on the age of the players (big diamond vs small diamond).  They get a 3 game guarantee and 2 umpires on the field for all games even on the small diamond.  Coach pitch is the only one that still gets one umpire.  They do however charge a $5 gate fee as well.

Not doing that assignor any more favors.....and if he ever asks why........I'd remind him of this line...

"Later on I saw the assignor and basically told him what had happened and asked him why he did not tell me about the non-umpire/umpires working the field that day He replied that I would not have come if he had said that."

And I will not come to work for you again, because you Didn't tell me that the first time.....

BTW, .you didn't fail as an umpire, the assignor failed you.....

• Like 2

Not sure I would have been able to bite back my temper... but I doubt your partner would have understood or acknowledged any of the responsibility he put you in.

• 2 weeks later...

@UmpIowa I'd say you had one umpire (you), *minus* at least 0.25 umpires (Mr. Cardinals hat's umpiring contribution), for a total of no more than 0.75 umpires. Better to have just done the game solo.

Given this story, if I were in a similar situation, I'd (a) say I'd do it solo, and Mr. Cardinals hat can watch from the stands, and (b) tell the TD to never ask me to do such a "favor" again.

And, I must say, your restraint in the situation was amazing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...