Jump to content

"I've got the ball" vs. "I'm on the line"


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4263 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

The PBUC Manual for the 2 Umpire System has me curious. 

 

With R1, and a fly ball to left or right moving the fielder toward the line, the PU has the ball and communicates to his partner: For a ball to Right he says "I'm on the line", but for a ball to left, it's "I've got the ball" or "It's my ball". 

 

Why the difference? How do YOU communicate this? Does it matter?

Posted

  'I'm on the line'  tells your partner that he will have to take plays at 3rd, that makes a difference.

  • Like 5
Posted

Is there ever a time when you will have the ball to right and NOT be "on the line" (giving up the play at third to BU)?  Is there ever a time when you will be on the line with a ball to right and NOT have the ball?

 

So, it really doesn't matter -- or at least it shouldn't.  I'm sure there's some BU somewhere who will eff this up because PU didn't use the "right" words.

  • Like 1
Posted

With the BU in B or C, the PU will have any ball that causes the RF/LF to move toward their lines. That being the case, as PU, most calls you make will involve either a fair/foul call or a trouble ball into the respective corners of the field. As BU, you see where the fielders are going, so you should be ready to cover all the bases. I know my partners know this, we cover it in pre-games, but I'm not going to leave it to chance and have a runner at third and the BU with his finger in his ear at second. 

  • Like 1
Posted

I guess I was just wondering how picky guys are about this stuff. If I'm the PU (2nd year, greenhorn), and on this play to RF, I communicate to my veteran partner "I've got the ball", is he gonna think I'm an idiot and give 5 demerits or something because I didn't say "I'm on the line"? 

Posted

This is just terminology to reinforce proper communication and responsibilities. When you are "on the line" you have no responsibilities at 3rd. When you "have the ball" you are responsible for plays at 3rd as well as catch no catch. I have brought this up during post games with younger guys to reinforce responsibilities and thought processes. Do I care what you say? Not if you know your responsibilities. I have typically found that those whom give demerits over silliness like this are typically the ones that kill grass while working the bases.

  • Like 6
Posted

I guess I was just wondering how picky guys are about this stuff. If I'm the PU (2nd year, greenhorn), and on this play to RF, I communicate to my veteran partner "I've got the ball", is he gonna think I'm an idiot and give 5 demerits or something because I didn't say "I'm on the line"? 

No. Hustle and communication is what you need.

  • Like 2
Posted

I guess I was just wondering how picky guys are about this stuff. If I'm the PU (2nd year, greenhorn), and on this play to RF, I communicate to my veteran partner "I've got the ball", is he gonna think I'm an idiot and give 5 demerits or something because I didn't say "I'm on the line"? 

No. And if you're starting out doing sub varsity, if it's anything like it is around here, you'll be lucky if your partner knows what you're talking about when you say "I've got the ball" or "I'm on the line".

 

If you're starting out working these lower levels, and have a good idea of what you're doing, (which you will, because it's obvious you're putting in the effort and asking questions), always to be sure to see what your partner is doing. Especially if you don't know him. Don't assume because there's R1 and a ball hit to right that when you yell "I've got the line" he's gonna know to cover 3rd. Sometimes, on a play like this, after you've seen the ball touch down in fair territory, it's not a bad idea to glance at your partner to make sure he's covering R1 into 3rd and not watching the game from "B". It might give you a chance to shout to him "You've got 3rd, Bill!!!" 

 

I've run into stuff like this far too often. From "A" I've gone out on fly balls down the RF line, watch it drop fair, make the fair signal, only to turn around and see my PU watching the game from behind the dish while the BR is chugging into 2nd!...In the top of the 1st inning!!...Less than 5 minutes after pregaming he's got BR if he sees me turn around and go out on a ball down the RF line. Never assume. Always be aware.  

  • Like 3
Posted

If I'm base umpire and I hear my partner say "I've got the ball" or "I'm on the line" I don't care which one b/c I also have a read on the ball as to whether or not it's down the RF or LF line. If I hear it, and the ball is down the LF line, I know he'll also be rotating up. If I read the ball down the RF line and I hear either one, I know that he's not rotating.

Personally, I wish they'd just change it to one or the other...it doesn't really matter as others have stated as long as each umpire knows his/her responsibilities.

  • Like 1
Posted

Troy is correct and I'll expand on why there is a difference...

"I've got the ball!" means the ball has been hit to a gray area near the LF and the plate umpire is communicating he's taking the catch, but the rotation is still on if the ball is not caught.

 

"I'm on the line!" means the ball is a trouble fair/foul ball hit to the RF and the plate umpire is communicating that he is taking the catch and will not be rotating to 3rd if the ball is not caught.

 

2 different scenarios, 2 different communications. Both are important and necessary.

  • Like 6
Posted

Troy is correct and I'll expand on why there is a difference...

"I've got the ball!" means the ball has been hit to a gray area near the LF and the plate umpire is communicating he's taking the catch, but the rotation is still on if the ball is not caught.

 

"I'm on the line!" means the ball is a trouble fair/foul ball hit to the RF and the plate umpire is communicating that he is taking the catch and will not be rotating to 3rd if the ball is not caught.

 

2 different scenarios, 2 different communications. Both are important and necessary.

So if a ball is hit to RF and PU mistakingly says, "I've got the ball" instead of "I'm on the line" but PU is still where he's supposed to be, doing what he's supposed be doing, do we have an issue?  Is BU going to be that dense where b/c he didn't hear "I'm on the line" he's not going to rotate to 3B for a potential play on a runner or batter/runner?

  • Like 1
Posted

Troy is correct and I'll expand on why there is a difference...

"I've got the ball!" means the ball has been hit to a gray area near the LF and the plate umpire is communicating he's taking the catch, but the rotation is still on if the ball is not caught.

"I'm on the line!" means the ball is a trouble fair/foul ball hit to the RF and the plate umpire is communicating that he is taking the catch and will not be rotating to 3rd if the ball is not caught.

2 different scenarios, 2 different communications. Both are important and necessary.

So if a ball is hit to RF and PU mistakingly says, "I've got the ball" instead of "I'm on the line" but PU is still where he's supposed to be, doing what he's supposed be doing, do we have an issue? Is BU going to be that dense where b/c he didn't hear "I'm on the line" he's not going to rotate to 3B for a potential play on a runner or batter/runner?

You want to know what's worse, I don't even know what I say. It's either I'm on the line or I got the ball. But I can't tell you for sure. I am working a DH on Saturday. Maybe it will happen and I will have to make a call. If it does and I do then I will tell you guys what I say. I might say both. No clue.

Posted

 

 

Troy is correct and I'll expand on why there is a difference...

"I've got the ball!" means the ball has been hit to a gray area near the LF and the plate umpire is communicating he's taking the catch, but the rotation is still on if the ball is not caught.

"I'm on the line!" means the ball is a trouble fair/foul ball hit to the RF and the plate umpire is communicating that he is taking the catch and will not be rotating to 3rd if the ball is not caught.

2 different scenarios, 2 different communications. Both are important and necessary.

So if a ball is hit to RF and PU mistakingly says, "I've got the ball" instead of "I'm on the line" but PU is still where he's supposed to be, doing what he's supposed be doing, do we have an issue? Is BU going to be that dense where b/c he didn't hear "I'm on the line" he's not going to rotate to 3B for a potential play on a runner or batter/runner?

 

You want to know what's worse, I don't even know what I say. It's either I'm on the line or I got the ball. But I can't tell you for sure. I am working a DH on Saturday. Maybe it will happen and I will have to make a call. If it does and I do then I will tell you guys what I say. I might say both. No clue.

 

 

 

It just seems like("I'm on the line") should only be communicated when the ball it is a trouble ball down the RF line.  

 

In reality, that's the only time the rotation changes.  If it's a trouble ball down the LF line, PU has fair/foul, catch/no catch, plus the rotation up to third base.  He's heading that way anyway.  

 

Why say anything on PU calls down the LF line?  PU is heading that way anyway...similar to the "I've got third if he comes" 

 

There probably is more to it, so chime in as to why PU should communicate "I've got the ball" down he LF line,  other than "that's what's taught at umpire school" or "that's what's in the red book."

 

There probably are other reasons that I'm not thinking of so help me understand.  

 

Thanks!

Posted

Troy is correct and I'll expand on why there is a difference...

"I've got the ball!" means the ball has been hit to a gray area near the LF and the plate umpire is communicating he's taking the catch, but the rotation is still on if the ball is not caught.

"I'm on the line!" means the ball is a trouble fair/foul ball hit to the RF and the plate umpire is communicating that he is taking the catch and will not be rotating to 3rd if the ball is not caught.

2 different scenarios, 2 different communications. Both are important and necessary.

So if a ball is hit to RF and PU mistakingly says, "I've got the ball" instead of "I'm on the line" but PU is still where he's supposed to be, doing what he's supposed be doing, do we have an issue? Is BU going to be that dense where b/c he didn't hear "I'm on the line" he's not going to rotate to 3B for a potential play on a runner or batter/runner?

You want to know what's worse, I don't even know what I say. It's either I'm on the line or I got the ball. But I can't tell you for sure. I am working a DH on Saturday. Maybe it will happen and I will have to make a call. If it does and I do then I will tell you guys what I say. I might say both. No clue.

It just seems like("I'm on the line") should only be communicated when the ball it is a trouble ball down the RF line.

In reality, that's the only time the rotation changes. If it's a trouble ball down the LF line, PU has fair/foul, catch/no catch, plus the rotation up to third base. He's heading that way anyway.

Why say anything on PU calls down the LF line? PU is heading that way anyway...similar to the "I've got third if he comes"

There probably is more to it, so chime in as to why PU should communicate "I've got the ball" down he LF line, other than "that's what's taught at umpire school" or "that's what's in the red book."

There probably are other reasons that I'm not thinking of so help me understand.

Thanks!

Well for me. My pregame to the base umpire is, when you are in B or C you have all fly balls unless I call you off. Now this is if it's a veteran guy and I can trust him. If it's a rookie Varsity umpire it's a different conversation. But for that purpose I always tell him when I have the ball. And the more I think about it I am sure I distinguish between the 2. For the purpose of knowing what we are doing. And we don't screw up.

Posted

It's all about the communication. PU is calling off BU. "I'm on the line" is simply reminding BU that PU won't have 3rd. It's also nice to hear it when you're working with a guy for the first time.

  • Like 1
Posted

Troy is correct and I'll expand on why there is a difference...

"I've got the ball!" means the ball has been hit to a gray area near the LF and the plate umpire is communicating he's taking the catch, but the rotation is still on if the ball is not caught.

 

"I'm on the line!" means the ball is a trouble fair/foul ball hit to the RF and the plate umpire is communicating that he is taking the catch and will not be rotating to 3rd if the ball is not caught.

 

2 different scenarios, 2 different communications. Both are important and necessary.

 

This is exactly the type of information that makes this site so great.

 

Thanks Mid!

Posted

Communicate.. no matter where the ball is hit.. the PU WILL STILL TELL HIS BU THAT " I'VE GOT 3RD IF HE COMES".. then when he( the runner is coming).. the PU will then say.." I've got 3rd, I've got 3rd"

 

Done.. end of story. 

  • Like 3
Posted

Communicate.. no matter where the ball is hit.. the PU WILL STILL TELL HIS BU THAT " I'VE GOT 3RD IF HE COMES".. then when he( the runner is coming).. the PU will then say.." I've got 3rd, I've got 3rd"

 

Done.. end of story. 

 

Thank you.

Posted

Communicate.. no matter where the ball is hit.. the PU WILL STILL TELL HIS BU THAT " I'VE GOT 3RD IF HE COMES".. then when he( the runner is coming).. the PU will then say.." I've got 3rd, I've got 3rd"

 

Done.. end of story. 

That's what I said hours ago!!!  Just Communicate.

Posted

 

" 

There probably is more to it, so chime in as to why PU should communicate "I've got the ball" down he LF line,  other than "that's what's taught at umpire school" or "that's what's in the red book."

 

There probably are other reasons that I'm not thinking of so help me understand.  

 

Thanks!

 

 

Because BU has all fly balls until PU calls him off.

Posted

 

 

" 

There probably is more to it, so chime in as to why PU should communicate "I've got the ball" down he LF line,  other than "that's what's taught at umpire school" or "that's what's in the red book."

 

There probably are other reasons that I'm not thinking of so help me understand.  

 

Thanks!

 

 

Because BU has all fly balls until PU calls him off.

 

 

 

 

That's not what CCA suggests unless I'm reading it wrong.  CCA seems pretty clear in each umpire's responsibilities.  Getting your calls right is important too!  :-)

×
×
  • Create New...