Fair or Foul line drive off pitchers plate

MRG9999
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3516 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

What is the call in this situation:

1.  A line drive hits the pitchers plate and rebounds back to the catcher standing in foul territory ?  I say it is a foul ball.  If runners on bases, they return to their bases at time of pitch.

2.  Same line drive but the catcher is in fair territory ?  I say it is a fair ball and the out needs to be recorded at first or some other base if possible.

What is the call in this situation:

1.  A line drive hits the pitchers plate and rebounds back to the catcher standing in foul territory ?  I say it is a foul ball.  If runners on bases, they return to their bases at time of pitch.

2.  Same line drive but the catcher is in fair territory ?  I say it is a fair ball and the out needs to be recorded at first or some other base if possible.

You are correct.

Hitting the pitcher's rubber doesn't make the ball automatically fair or foul. And though where F2 is standing makes it more likely to be fair or foul, it doesn't decide it.

Bouncing off the rubber - and not otherwise touched - where the ball is when F2 (or any other fielder) touches it determines fair/foul.

On point 1, as @Jimurray, @afaber12, and @Senor Azul all said, it is a foul ball.

On point 2, the catcher, by being in fair territory and touching the ball, has prevented the ball from crossing the line(s) untouched into foul territory. Thus, the ball is fair. Play on.

On point 2, the catcher, by being in fair territory and touching the ball, has prevented the ball from crossing the line(s) untouched into foul territory. Thus, the ball is fair. Play on.

Nope! He's not necessarily preventing the ball from crossing into foul territory. If he touches the ball while it is in fair territory, then sure, fair ball. But he can be standing in fair territory while the ball still crosses foul. For instance:

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v36038123

• Like 2

Hitting the pitcher's rubber doesn't make the ball automatically fair or foul. And though where F2 is standing makes it more likely to be fair or foul, it doesn't decide it.

Bouncing off the rubber - and not otherwise touched - where the ball is when F2 (or any other fielder) touches it determines fair/foul.

Or where it comes to rest....

• Like 1