Sign in to follow this  
millerforrest

Situation

Question

With a runner on 3rd and 2 outs with 2 strikes on the batter.....the pitch comes in, its a dropped 3rd strike as the ball gets away from the catcher, the batter stands in the batters box as the runner from 3rd charges home and touches the plate. That's when the batter turns and walks towards the dugout. Upon taking 2 or 3 steps, the plate umpire declares the batter out for abandoning his right to run to 1st.

Is this a timing play? Does the run count? I know how I ruled.

11 answers to this question

Not a time play. No run can score if the batter is out before legally touching 1B. 4.09

• Like 4

So if the runner crosses the plate, and then the batter runner gets called out for a running lane infraction on his way to first for interference, that is not a time play either? Just wanna see your answer.

Read 4.09. No run can score if the third out is by the batter-runner before he touches first base. Period.

And depending on the rule set you can't call the B-R out on an uncaught third strike until he either leaves the dirt circle without attempting to advance OR until he enters the dugout.  And once out 4.09 kicks in.

• Like 1

Read 4.09. No run can score if the third out is by the batter-runner before he touches first base. Period.

And depending on the rule set you can't call the B-R out on an uncaught third strike until he either leaves the dirt circle without attempting to advance OR until he enters the dugout.  And once out 4.09 kicks in.

There is another way to call the batter out on a DTK. I did not know this but stumbled upon it. If he delays in the dirt circle, as if he was taking off his armour, he can be called out.

Do I "poke fun" at the umpire-101 thread or the umpire love song thread...decisions, decisions.

It's not a timing play because there's no such thing.

If you're posting quizzes, maybe get your terms straight?

• Like 1

I ruled NOT a timing play and no run scores. I just thought it was an interesting "situation" for others to think about.

At "scrounge" - tough guy huh?

You're not helping yourself, Woody.

• Like 1

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this