Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4492 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

You've also heard from Jason that it's a preferential thing. I seriously doubt anyone gets dinged for it. Any more so than they were gonna get dinged for SOMETHING anyway. And if that's all my evaluator has?? :kissass: I'm damn good with that!

  • Like 1
Posted

In all my inexperience and naivety, I'd have to say it's better to have both mask and indicator in left hand, with right hand empty for call mechanics, than to have something in BOTH hands. It sounds like the standard is to indicate 'fair' with mask in hand, so that mechanic shouldn't bring reproach upon the umpire from anyone.

 

I think we should standardize it RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!, since no one else has. Let's go U-E! 

Posted

I transfer my mask. It really is not hard to do. I normally have it on my left hand. Reach over with right hand. Close the right hand fingers around the mask frame. Release left hand finger from mask frame. WALA!!!!!

 

If I have to transfer it back I just follow the directions in reverse order.

  • Like 1
Posted

I never imagined this would generate so much interest. Only umpires notice this. 99% of people at a game are watching the ball. I watch umpire movements. I think I will stick with keeping the mask in the hand I take it off with. I am always skeptical when I meet an umpire who tells me he went to umpire school and he takes his mask off with his right hand. That is a no no in Evans school. I have been to two 5 day camps.

Our #1 local umpire is about to move up to Div.1

He takes his mask off with his right hand.

You know how many times I have spoken to him about it? Zero. It is not important. It is a sign you did not go to school, or you were a rebel student

We have pretty much worn this subject out.

I do advise mask under left armpit at plate conference and in between innings. It looks good

If you throw your mask on the ground at the plate conference you owe the crew a pitcher and a pizza.

Posted

 

This was 4 man with a slow roller up 1st base line

With no possible tag for U.I.C.

When I first saw it I thought an Omaha umpire was taking his mask off with his right hand, which would be poor form. In slow motion it became apparent that fe takes his mask off with his left hand and in at least one type of situation transfers the mask to his right hand. The only calls he would have in this scenario were fair or foul on the slow roller. The U.I.C. Tonight (Anteaters vs Vandy) has cap issues. He can not take his mask off with one hand. He holds his cap with his right hand and takes his mask off with his left. You should be able to take your mask off with one hand, your left. You can wear a field cap behind the plate and take your mask off fine if you do it correctly. Even an 8 stitch.

Its probably a new hat, and it may be one from a company that has hat sizes that vary from his normal brand of hat.

 

All the guys at the CWS have to buy CWS gear, so it may just be a wardobe malfunction more than anything.

 

What.. they do not buy CWS gear.. they bring their own gear.. CWS provides shirts and jackets...

Posted

I have and never will transfer my mask, I call out's and award runners with my right hand...

Maybe you need to go to a real umpire school! :wave: Totally kidding! Please don't get mad at me!!!
Posted

 

I have and never will transfer my mask, I call out's and award runners with my right hand...

Maybe you need to go to a real umpire school! :wave: Totally kidding! Please don't get mad at me!!!

 

Oh that's it Jax...I did go to the School and not the Academy...LOL

  • Like 1
Posted

Oh and I know that Umpire.. he is one of the coolest, and quietest guys around. Very good umpire. I know it looked crazy cause we dont teach this anymore, but he is an old school guy. but as long as your getting the call right, that what matters.

Posted

This was 4 man with a slow roller up 1st base line

With no possible tag for U.I.C.

When I first saw it I thought an Omaha umpire was taking his mask off with his right hand, which would be poor form. In slow motion it became apparent that fe takes his mask off with his left hand and in at least one type of situation transfers the mask to his right hand. The only calls he would have in this scenario were fair or foul on the slow roller. The U.I.C. Tonight (Anteaters vs Vandy) has cap issues. He can not take his mask off with one hand. He holds his cap with his right hand and takes his mask off with his left. You should be able to take your mask off with one hand, your left. You can wear a field cap behind the plate and take your mask off fine if you do it correctly. Even an 8 stitch.

sayhey... he takes his mask off with 2 hands cause he likes too... not because the hat was or is big.. there are a few big league guys who do this as well.

 

Dude.. find something else to nit pick about.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

This was 4 man with a slow roller up 1st base line

With no possible tag for U.I.C.

When I first saw it I thought an Omaha umpire was taking his mask off with his right hand, which would be poor form. In slow motion it became apparent that fe takes his mask off with his left hand and in at least one type of situation transfers the mask to his right hand. The only calls he would have in this scenario were fair or foul on the slow roller. The U.I.C. Tonight (Anteaters vs Vandy) has cap issues. He can not take his mask off with one hand. He holds his cap with his right hand and takes his mask off with his left. You should be able to take your mask off with one hand, your left. You can wear a field cap behind the plate and take your mask off fine if you do it correctly. Even an 8 stitch.

sayhey... he takes his mask off with 2 hands cause he likes too... not because the hat was or is big.. there are a few big league guys who do this as well.

 

Dude.. find something else to nit pick about.

 

Tim Welke, Dale Scott, and Gerry Davis as far as I can remember :nod:

Posted

My name is not dude. Do you address coaches and fellow umpires as dude? How sad and pathetic. Most have a higher sense of dignity.

Every evalulator would notice an umpire using 2 hands to remove their mask. Jim Evans stood in front of 50 umpires and demonstrated removing his mask with a 8 stitch cap on. This demo did not include holding your cap with your right hand and removing your mask with your left hand. I was in row 1. I will take a World Series umpire's instructions over your ideas. It's far from nitpicking to talk about removing your mask properly.

The PAC 12 and other conferences in USA have far better umpires in their ranks than some mlb umpires. Just because an mlb umpire does something does not mean you should copy them

This thread started off as a question about transferring your mask before making a fair call on a slow roller up 1st base line. The question was about perception and body language. It was directed toward umpires that are looking for every opportunity to fine tune their game and look sharp at all times. Same reason Ump Hub spends 10 minutes on proper plate conference and where your mask should be during the plate conference

A crisp removal of your mask with your left hand with the proper size cap on looks better than holding your cap with your right hand and removing your mask with your left. He probably was given a C.W.S. Cap to wear. Maybe it was New Era and he normally wears Richardson

If you are annoyed by posts about fine tuning your game I suggest you ignore such posts and the aggravation it causes you. Some of us are trying to get better.

Posted

My name is not dude. Do you address coaches and fellow umpires as dude? How sad and pathetic. Most have a higher sense of dignity.

Every evalulator would notice an umpire using 2 hands to remove their mask. Jim Evans stood in front of 50 umpires and demonstrated removing his mask with a 8 stitch cap on. This demo did not include holding your cap with your right hand and removing your mask with your left hand. I was in row 1. I will take a World Series umpire's instructions over your ideas. It's far from nitpicking to talk about removing your mask properly.

The PAC 12 and other conferences in USA have far better umpires in their ranks than some mlb umpires. Just because an mlb umpire does something does not mean you should copy them

This thread started off as a question about transferring your mask before making a fair call on a slow roller up 1st base line. The question was about perception and body language. It was directed toward umpires that are looking for every opportunity to fine tune their game and look sharp at all times. Same reason Ump Hub spends 10 minutes on proper plate conference and where your mask should be during the plate conference

A crisp removal of your mask with your left hand with the proper size cap on looks better than holding your cap with your right hand and removing your mask with your left. He probably was given a C.W.S. Cap to wear. Maybe it was New Era and he normally wears Richardson

If you are annoyed by posts about fine tuning your game I suggest you ignore such posts and the aggravation it causes you. Some of us are trying to get better.

All great questions and discussed to extent on the board.

Sidenote: you make a glorifying comment about taking a World Series (MLB) umpire's instruction over the U-E member's info; then turn around and say "Just because an MLB umpire does it, doesn't mean we should copy."

Perception....dude :D

  • Like 2
Posted

I'm trying to break the habit of taking my mask off with my right hand. Since I am left handed it's more natural for me to take the mask off right handed and then transfer to my left hand. It's something that I have always done and no one has said anything about it. I will be getting evaluated next week by D1 umpires so I am looking forward to the feedback.

Posted

This was 4 man with a slow roller up 1st base line

With no possible tag for U.I.C.

When I first saw it I thought an Omaha umpire was taking his mask off with his right hand, which would be poor form. In slow motion it became apparent that fe takes his mask off with his left hand and in at least one type of situation transfers the mask to his right hand. The only calls he would have in this scenario were fair or foul on the slow roller. The U.I.C. Tonight (Anteaters vs Vandy) has cap issues. He can not take his mask off with one hand. He holds his cap with his right hand and takes his mask off with his left. You should be able to take your mask off with one hand, your left. You can wear a field cap behind the plate and take your mask off fine if you do it correctly. Even an 8 stitch.

@Sayhey - Yeah, the umpire that has "cap issues" is Jeff Head.  I'm fine with you removing your mask with both hands. The only thing I care about is after you remove it whether it's with your left hand or with both hands, it needs to end up in your left hand.  That's my only "pet peeve" about mask removal.  That's great that Evans removed his mask off his face with his left hand and had an 8 stitch cap on, good for him.  As I said, the only "pet peeve" about mask removal is at the end of your mask removal process it needs to be in your left hand.

  • Like 1
Posted

I put my mask back on with my left hand.

 

I hold the mask and point with the same hand, I never noticed guys switching hands with the mask - guess I never paid enough attention.

 

My thought is use the KISS method - off with left, on with left - leave it in left hand can't get screwed up. Now it is muscle memory.

 

On a foul ball on the 3BL, I put both hands up and signal foul, I don't point.

  • Like 1
Posted

My name is not dude. Do you address coaches and fellow umpires as dude? How sad and pathetic. Most have a higher sense of dignity.

Every evalulator would notice an umpire using 2 hands to remove their mask. Jim Evans stood in front of 50 umpires and demonstrated removing his mask with a 8 stitch cap on. This demo did not include holding your cap with your right hand and removing your mask with your left hand. I was in row 1. I will take a World Series umpire's instructions over your ideas. It's far from nitpicking to talk about removing your mask properly.

The PAC 12 and other conferences in USA have far better umpires in their ranks than some mlb umpires. Just because an mlb umpire does something does not mean you should copy them

This thread started off as a question about transferring your mask before making a fair call on a slow roller up 1st base line. The question was about perception and body language. It was directed toward umpires that are looking for every opportunity to fine tune their game and look sharp at all times. Same reason Ump Hub spends 10 minutes on proper plate conference and where your mask should be during the plate conference

A crisp removal of your mask with your left hand with the proper size cap on looks better than holding your cap with your right hand and removing your mask with your left. He probably was given a C.W.S. Cap to wear. Maybe it was New Era and he normally wears Richardson

If you are annoyed by posts about fine tuning your game I suggest you ignore such posts and the aggravation it causes you. Some of us are trying to get better.

Dude... you went to Jim Evans... Holy cow...I cant believe it..

 

Yes i do call other umpires dude.. you don't like it.. then leave..LOL

 

have some thick skin your on a INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD FOR F*CK SAKE.

  • Like 2
Posted

 

This was 4 man with a slow roller up 1st base line

With no possible tag for U.I.C.

When I first saw it I thought an Omaha umpire was taking his mask off with his right hand, which would be poor form. In slow motion it became apparent that fe takes his mask off with his left hand and in at least one type of situation transfers the mask to his right hand. The only calls he would have in this scenario were fair or foul on the slow roller. The U.I.C. Tonight (Anteaters vs Vandy) has cap issues. He can not take his mask off with one hand. He holds his cap with his right hand and takes his mask off with his left. You should be able to take your mask off with one hand, your left. You can wear a field cap behind the plate and take your mask off fine if you do it correctly. Even an 8 stitch.

@Sayhey - Yeah, the umpire that has "cap issues" is Jeff Head.  I'm fine with you removing your mask with both hands. The only thing I care about is after you remove it whether it's with your left hand or with both hands, it needs to end up in your left hand.  That's my only "pet peeve" about mask removal.  That's great that Evans removed his mask off his face with his left hand and had an 8 stitch cap on, good for him.  As I said, the only "pet peeve" about mask removal is at the end of your mask removal process it needs to be in your left hand.

 

I love it great Post dude...LOL  

  • Like 1
Posted

My name is not dude. Do you address coaches and fellow umpires as dude? How sad and pathetic. Most have a higher sense of dignity.

Every evalulator would notice an umpire using 2 hands to remove their mask. Jim Evans stood in front of 50 umpires and demonstrated removing his mask with a 8 stitch cap on. This demo did not include holding your cap with your right hand and removing your mask with your left hand. I was in row 1. I will take a World Series umpire's instructions over your ideas. It's far from nitpicking to talk about removing your mask properly.

The PAC 12 and other conferences in USA have far better umpires in their ranks than some mlb umpires. Just because an mlb umpire does something does not mean you should copy them

This thread started off as a question about transferring your mask before making a fair call on a slow roller up 1st base line. The question was about perception and body language. It was directed toward umpires that are looking for every opportunity to fine tune their game and look sharp at all times. Same reason Ump Hub spends 10 minutes on proper plate conference and where your mask should be during the plate conference

A crisp removal of your mask with your left hand with the proper size cap on looks better than holding your cap with your right hand and removing your mask with your left. He probably was given a C.W.S. Cap to wear. Maybe it was New Era and he normally wears Richardson

If you are annoyed by posts about fine tuning your game I suggest you ignore such posts and the aggravation it causes you. Some of us are trying to get better.

Dude, someone's cranky today.

And you literally just said that you'd copy an MLB umpire but nobody else should. :shrug:

  • Like 1
Posted

SMH. How can you be offended by the word dude? I am 55 and use it all of the time, especially in my dealings with players and other younger umpires.  I also use the word bud or buddy.  I might forget a name and call somebody dude or buddy.  I call most of my friends dude and almost all of them are umpires. I will call Billy V. dude the next time I see him, just to congratulate him on his outstanding plate job he had in Omaha last night. And his mask pads were TW's with a D marini logo on them for some reason.  Remember, when you put the ball in play you point and say play, not work. Lighten up and have some fun in life. GEESH!

Posted

SMH. How can you be offended by the word dude? I am 55 and use it all of the time, especially in my dealings with players and other younger umpires. I also use the word bud or buddy. I might forget a name and call somebody dude or buddy. I call most of my friends dude and almost all of them are umpires. I will call Billy V. dude the next time I see him, just to congratulate him on his outstanding plate job he had in Omaha last night. And his mask pads were TW's with a D marini logo on them for some reason. Remember, when you put the ball in play you point and say play, not work. Lighten up and have some fun in life. GEESH!

@umpstu Great post.

Ask Billy V. why he has a Demarini logo on his mask please.

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4492 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...