Did I miss this?

TStokes97
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3612 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am posting this because I did not eject a coach for these comments and wondering if I should have. Its top of the 6th(last inning) the VT is up by a few and still at bat with a runner on first who breaks early, pitcher steps off throws runner out(for out #3) I am not going to get specific on the move, the VT 1st basecoach runs up to me saying it was a balk, I say no it is not and he precedes to say this "Its clear you don't know the rules, do you even know the difference between the strech and windup(I do although this was irrelevent to the play entirely), if you don't know the rules you shouldn't be out here! What are we paying you for?! You don't belong here" after this I just walk away to go get my between innings drink(Seems odd for an ump to do this but I have dry mouth). Should I have ejected the coach?

For me, it's very difficult to judge these things. Was the conversation civil, just between you and him, and nobody but you two knew what was being said? If a conversation is quiet, and not abusive, then I would just let him vent and not even respond. If he's acting like a butt wipe and screaming and yelling, then I would probably dump him.

For me, it's very difficult to judge these things. Was the conversation civil, just between you and him, and nobody but you two knew what was being said? If a conversation is quiet, and not abusive, then I would just let him vent and not even respond. If he's acting like a butt wipe and screaming and yelling, then I would probably dump him.

He was full on shouting in my face

There is no possible way to say what that coach said in a civil conversation.

sorry i don't care if the coach whispers this conversation in my ear....hes not sticking around

They lay down chalk lines on a baseball field for several reasons, and this is one of 'em. The only time a coach, other than the head coach, crosses a white line during gameplay is either to attend to an injury or as part of a mound visit. Otherwise, he crosses the chalk and he's done.

And that's without saying anything. This guy, though, clearly expressed he did not want to be in attendance at this game any more.

He's tossed 3 times in my game.

• He ran at me.
  • He shouted in my face.
  • He made a personal comment.
Buh bye. Shout at your windshield.
Did I forget to mention he wasn't even the head coach?

Yes, but I can eject him only so many times in one game.

It would be nice to be able to bank them....

He's tossed 3 times in my game.

• He ran at me.
  • He shouted in my face.
  • He made a personal comment.
Buh bye. Shout at your windshield.

Yes, but I can eject him only so many times in one game.

It would be nice to be able to bank them....Yea create an association store you buy stuff from using points from each ejection you get, like preschool prize points, "Ok Timmy you threw out nine coaches here's a set of TW's"

You let an assistant coach treat you like this? Have you ever dumped a coach? I have not, this is year number 3 for me

You need to pop your cherry.  You should be regretting not ejecting the assistant coach instead of asking us if you should have ejected him.  Don't let the next one get away with it.  Taking out the trash can be fun, especially if it's a FED game, 'cause the head coach gets restricted for the actions of his assistant!

• Like 2

An asst coach comes to you and says Its clear you don't know the rules, do you even know the difference between the strech and windup if you don't know the rules you shouldn't be out here! What are we paying you for?! You don't belong here"

I don't know what is worse the fact he said this or that you allowed him to stay in the game? 

You then say I wanted to eject but my senior partner had been undermining me all day, if I did eject he provably would have reversed it then chew me out for "over reacting" only guy I have worked with who I didn't like working with 

Are you kidding me with this?

First of all why is your partner undermining you? Are you horrible or weak? You have to be one or the other cause if you are horrible he was tired of covering your mistakes, if you are weak you let him bully you on the field. If you eject and he tries to overide you call the uic and explain and I bet the coach is leaving and your partner is getting chewed out.

I am not trying to be mean to you but you have got to be strong on the field and stand your ground. The asst coach should have never talked to you and you should have threw him. You just passed him along to the next ump who now has to deal with it. 

• Like 1

An asst coach comes to you and says Its clear you don't know the rules, do you even know the difference between the strech and windup if you don't know the rules you shouldn't be out here! What are we paying you for?! You don't belong here"

I don't know what is worse the fact he said this or that you allowed him to stay in the game?

You then say I wanted to eject but my senior partner had been undermining me all day, if I did eject he provably would have reversed it then chew me out for "over reacting" only guy I have worked with who I didn't like working with

Are you kidding me with this?

First of all why is your partner undermining you? Are you horrible or weak? You have to be one or the other cause if you are horrible he was tired of covering your mistakes, if you are weak you let him bully you on the field. If you eject and he tries to overide you call the uic and explain and I bet the coach is leaving and your partner is getting chewed out.

I am not trying to be mean to you but you have got to be strong on the field and stand your ground. The asst coach should have never talked to you and you should have threw him. You just passed him along to the next ump who now has to deal with it.

He's under mining me because he assumes the youngest umpire in our association is going to be incompetent, he treated me as incompetent and inferior from the moment we ment in the parking lot before even seeing me on the field, if there was a bang bang play and a coach was chirping he'd say "yes I think he was wrong too" instead of backing me up on those close calls, not to mention he stood on the plate watching this coach chew me out, the way he was treating me there is a decent chance he'd have tried to over turn it and tell me we need to "talk out our differences" instead of ejecting coaches for their words, or something similar, if they made them this guy would wear a peace sign throat guard I swear

He's under mining me because he assumes the youngest umpire in our association is going to be incompetent, he treated me as incompetent and inferior from the moment we ment in the parking lot before even seeing me on the field, if there was a bang bang play and a coach was chirping he'd say "yes I think he was wrong too" instead of backing me up on those close calls, not to mention he stood on the plate watching this coach chew me out, the way he was treating me there is a decent chance he'd have tried to over turn it and tell me we need to "talk out our differences" instead of ejecting coaches for their words, or something similar, if they made them this guy would wear a peace sign throat guard I swear

Report that to the assignor and ask not to work with that guy again. That's BS.

Do it the right way, and if he tries to "overturn" one of your decisions remind him that by rule no umpire may do that. Let's see him talk that one out. If he insists and undoes your good work, leave: apparently he doesn't need you anyway.

Did I mention that's BS?

Report that to the assignor and ask not to work with that guy again. That's BS.

Do it the right way, and if he tries to "overturn" one of your decisions remind him that by rule no umpire may do that. Let's see him talk that one out. If he insists and undoes your good work, leave: apparently he doesn't need you anyway.

Did I mention that's BS?I don't think he even work for us, he got the game under the table from my scheduled partner

@TStokes97 - In no way am I countermanding or negating @maven 's, or anyone else's, advice for you. If anything, I'm adding to it for a reason @maven will agree with...

1. Make certain you know the guy's name. Not "Some Dude named Bob", but an actual name. Relay it to your assignor (as @maven advised), because if he doesn't work for your league assignor, and he got the game from another league umpire, then he's a poor representative of your league. Your league assignor should, if he has half a brain in him, recognize this as a problem, and he'll either reprimand the guy, or the guy who gave him the game.

2. Unless there is threat of bodily harm, do not leave the game. Your responsibility is to A) your health and well-being, B) the game, C) your __________ (sense of self-worth, ego, etc.). I do not say this, again, to undermine @maven's advice, but as an umpire, The Game is only trumped by Your Health. So, if the game continues, then you press on. Be on the spot, be succinct, call what you see and stick to it. After the game is completed, you don't owe anyone, especially your "partner", an explanation or a discussion. Because from the read of things, this pompous buffoon would be a waste of time and breath to discuss anything with. Pre-game discussions are to set the expectations of the upcoming game, and post-game discussions are to learn from what occurred. It doesn't sound like either one was, or would be, beneficial to you.

As a reminder, though, with Your Health aside as the most important thing to be responsible to, you have a responsibility to the game on behalf of your league. You were assigned and paid by your assignor and league to be an umpire of that game, albeit with a terrible partner and a contemptuous coach. To walk out on the game, while it is underway, leaves a poor impression on the ballplayers, their parents, fans, etc. Granted, you were being degraded and undermined, but if you were to stick it out under those circumstances, you leave an impression with the other team that you, as an umpire, care more about the game than just some words.

As @maven also said, "remind him that by rule no umpire may do that", in regards to overturning a call, you can be as blunt as this guy is slimy. Simply make your call, and if he's in the process of undermining your call, say, "Did I ask for help? No? Then call stands." And walk back to your (next) position.

3) Definitely report the coach to your assignor and/or League Director as well, if only to forewarn the next set of umpires of his volatility. If he perceives that he got away with it this time without a heave-ho, then he'll think he can pull this crap again on another BU. I make it known to Head Coaches that I do not want to talk to their Assistant Coaches if there is a problem, and that AC's have _very_ short leashes. This particular AC doesn't seem to have a leash, and if that's the case, then best he stay in the car.

@TStokes97 - In no way am I countermanding or negating @maven 's, or anyone else's, advice for you. If anything, I'm adding to it for a reason @maven will agree with...

1. Make certain you know the guy's name. Not "Some Dude named Bob", but an actual name. Relay it to your assignor (as @maven advised), because if he doesn't work for your league assignor, and he got the game from another league umpire, then he's a poor representative of your league. Your league assignor should, if he has half a brain in him, recognize this as a problem, and he'll either reprimand the guy, or the guy who gave him the game.

2. Unless there is threat of bodily harm, do not leave the game. Your responsibility is to A) your health and well-being, B) the game, C) your __________ (sense of self-worth, ego, etc.). I do not say this, again, to undermine @maven's advice, but as an umpire, The Game is only trumped by Your Health. So, if the game continues, then you press on. Be on the spot, be succinct, call what you see and stick to it. After the game is completed, you don't owe anyone, especially your "partner", an explanation or a discussion. Because from the read of things, this pompous buffoon would be a waste of time and breath to discuss anything with. Pre-game discussions are to set the expectations of the upcoming game, and post-game discussions are to learn from what occurred. It doesn't sound like either one was, or would be, beneficial to you.

As a reminder, though, with Your Health aside as the most important thing to be responsible to, you have a responsibility to the game on behalf of your league. You were assigned and paid by your assignor and league to be an umpire of that game, albeit with a terrible partner and a contemptuous coach. To walk out on the game, while it is underway, leaves a poor impression on the ballplayers, their parents, fans, etc. Granted, you were being degraded and undermined, but if you were to stick it out under those circumstances, you leave an impression with the other team that you, as an umpire, care more about the game than just some words.

As @maven also said, "remind him that by rule no umpire may do that", in regards to overturning a call, you can be as blunt as this guy is slimy. Simply make your call, and if he's in the process of undermining your call, say, "Did I ask for help? No? Then call stands." And walk back to your (next) position.

3) Definitely report the coach to your assignor and/or League Director as well, if only to forewarn the next set of umpires of his volatility. If he perceives that he got away with it this time without a heave-ho, then he'll think he can pull this crap again on another BU. I make it known to Head Coaches that I do not want to talk to their Assistant Coaches if there is a problem, and that AC's have _very_ short leashes. This particular AC doesn't seem to have a leash, and if that's the case, then best he stay in the car.

The only way I would leave before the end of a game is in an ambulance or car going to a hospital, if only because my ride doesn't arrive till the end, so I really couldn't follow his advice anyways, I will certainly take your advice and talk to my assignor next sunday about the issue