Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4341 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Assignor asks we to do a 12U game a couple of days ago. Partner shows up. Its a guy that has been around  2-3 years but has never worked a game with a partner. All he has worked is 8u pitching machine games.

 

He had no clue! but he actually did a good job making the safe/out calls.

 

He is in C and the batter hits a grounder down the first base line. The ball is "Foul"

 

Partner starts yelling "Foul Ball" "Foul Ball" and pointing "foul".

 

 

Partner in "A" Fly ball to right fielder who camps under the ball. Partner starts calling the out before the ball gets to the fielder. Fielder bobbles the ball. Partners starts calling "safe" Fielder regains control and catches the ball. Partner then calls the Out.

 

He seemed willing to learn. Asked questions during the game. And we had a long post-game.

 

 

This is the type of new guy I am willing to work with. Good Hustle. Willing to learn.

  • Like 3
Posted

Assignor asks we to do a 12U game a couple of days ago. Partner shows up. Its a guy that has been around  2-3 years but has never worked a game with a partner. All he has worked is 8u pitching machine games.

 

He had no clue! but he actually did a good job making the safe/out calls.

 

He is in C and the batter hits a grounder down the first base line. The ball is "Foul"

 

Partner starts yelling "Foul Ball" "Foul Ball" and pointing "foul".

 

 

Partner in "A" Fly ball to right fielder who camps under the ball. Partner starts calling the out before the ball gets to the fielder. Fielder bobbles the ball. Partners starts calling "safe" Fielder regains control and catches the ball. Partner then calls the Out.

 

He seemed willing to learn. Asked questions during the game. And we had a long post-game.

 

 

This is the type of new guy I am willing to work with. Good Hustle. Willing to learn.

I'm sure he'll do a fine job training you :):wave:

  • Like 5
Posted

Does the umpire run the pitching machine in those games? That sounds fun... :yippie:

Posted

And here I never get a game with you.  :shrug:  :hopmad:

Why would you ever want a game with him...lol

Posted

And here I never get a game with you. :shrug::hopmad:

<br />Why would you ever want a game with him...lol<br />Ouch!
Posted

And here I never get a game with you. :shrug::hopmad:

<br />Ask Leland
Posted

 

And here I never get a game with you. :shrug::hopmad:

<br />Why would you ever want a game with him...lol

Lou,

Other than telling you how much you suck and that you are blind as a bat. Have I said anything bad about you? :wave:

 

 

 

 

Ps. Didn't know you guys in Utah had Internet! Is it a new concept up there? How does the Internet get there through all the snow???

Posted
Good Hustle. Willing to learn.

 

As a trainer of umpires, if a candidate has these 2 traits, I'll guarantee success..............

  • Like 2
Posted

Good Hustle. Willing to learn.

As a trainer of umpires, if a candidate has these 2 traits, I'll guarantee success..............That makes me feel better about my chances

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Assignor asks we to do a 12U game a couple of days ago. Partner shows up. Its a guy that has been around  2-3 years but has never worked a game with a partner. All he has worked is 8u pitching machine games.

 

He had no clue! but he actually did a good job making the safe/out calls.

 

He is in C and the batter hits a grounder down the first base line. The ball is "Foul"

 

Partner starts yelling "Foul Ball" "Foul Ball" and pointing "foul".

 

 

Partner in "A" Fly ball to right fielder who camps under the ball. Partner starts calling the out before the ball gets to the fielder. Fielder bobbles the ball. Partners starts calling "safe" Fielder regains control and catches the ball. Partner then calls the Out.

 

He seemed willing to learn. Asked questions during the game. And we had a long post-game.

 

 

This is the type of new guy I am willing to work with. Good Hustle. Willing to learn.

 

 If this is the kid I think it is, he will be a good one. He has overcome working at a park whose UIC is a complete idiot. He has called me several times to check to see if he did the right thing in a given situation, or to discuss rules or mechanics. He is young and eager, and not afraid to admit his mistakes. I'm hoping to get to work with him this fall.

  • 2 months later...
Posted

This brings up a great question.  As a "new" umpire, many experienced guys are willing to help and be encouraging.  But there are several who expect you to be perfect right out of the gate (never mind that they may or may not get every call right), and especially when moving up a level they will make comments to some of the newer guys along the lines of "if you aren't ready for it, don't come up and do these games".  I struggle with this.  How will they get better if they don't see the higher levels of ball?  And when you do find the one who hustles, wants to learn, and is willing to listen, what are the pieces of advice that you give them in order to be the most help?

Posted

 

 

And here I never get a game with you. :shrug::hopmad:

<br />Why would you ever want a game with him...lol

Lou,

Other than telling you how much you suck and that you are blind as a bat. Have I said anything bad about you? :wave:

 

 

 

 

Ps. Didn't know you guys in Utah had Internet! Is it a new concept up there? How does the Internet get there through all the snow???

 

The internet travels by dogsled in the snow

  • Like 1
Posted

This brings up a great question.  As a "new" umpire, many experienced guys are willing to help and be encouraging.  But there are several who expect you to be perfect right out of the gate (never mind that they may or may not get every call right), and especially when moving up a level they will make comments to some of the newer guys along the lines of "if you aren't ready for it, don't come up and do these games".  I struggle with this.  How will they get better if they don't see the higher levels of ball?  And when you do find the one who hustles, wants to learn, and is willing to listen, what are the pieces of advice that you give them in order to be the most help?

 Master the lower levels, first. Build competence, and confidence. Throwing a new umpire into the fire of higher levels is not usually a good idea. The higher pressure can create a question of ability in the newbie's head, and undermine his confidence. I have seen guys put into games above their heads, and it is painful to view. It can rapidly get out of hand, particularly if someone doesn't have the game management skills needed for any given level.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

This brings up a great question.  As a "new" umpire, many experienced guys are willing to help and be encouraging.  But there are several who expect you to be perfect right out of the gate (never mind that they may or may not get every call right), and especially when moving up a level they will make comments to some of the newer guys along the lines of "if you aren't ready for it, don't come up and do these games".  I struggle with this.  How will they get better if they don't see the higher levels of ball?  And when you do find the one who hustles, wants to learn, and is willing to listen, what are the pieces of advice that you give them in order to be the most help?

 Master the lower levels, first. Build competence, and confidence. Throwing a new umpire into the fire of higher levels is not usually a good idea. The higher pressure can create a question of ability in the newbie's head, and undermine his confidence. I have seen guys put into games above their heads, and it is painful to view. It can rapidly get out of hand, particularly if someone doesn't have the game management skills needed for any given level.

 

I agree, but I'm not talking about guys way in above their heads, I'm talking about  guys moving up a level and making the same mistakes that many of us made when we first moved up.  Seems like some people have forgotten what that was like.

 

BTW, love the conversations that this stuff brings up!

  • Like 1
Posted

My UIC threw me to the wolves my third game out of the gate and I haven't been on a field for 30+ years (even then I played rec ball at best), national tournament 13u. He put me with a NCAA umpire partner but I was still in way over my head. It was sink or swim. Apparently, I swam. I like this kind of challenge. Every time he has placed me on fields that were over my head, I rose to the challenge from what I'm told. Through him pushing me, I also learned my limitations. When he pushed me in a softball league that was above me, I did fine, but I learned I didn't want to do that level of those games. I filled in for some reserve triple crown. I learned I'm more than capable of handling those games behind the plate but if the balls are coming in much faster than that, I'm not sure if I'll be comfortable back there, yet.

I'll be honest, the worst partners for a newbie is then one who endlessly talks about lower level games being beneath them. The ones that roll their eyes when you ask a question then talk about how they only like working with "experienced" umpires at their level. Those are the guys who more undermine confidence. They are belittling and condescending, they make umpiring an unpleasant chore.

  • Like 5
Posted

IMO, the easiest way for a newer umpire to improve by getting higher levels of ball, is to hook up with an experienced umpire who is willing to work with younger guys. The best time to get the games is generally fall ball, as this usually means nothing, and gives the umpires a great chance to work on things.

 

I organize the fall ball for my HS board. We have a deal worked out with a D-1 program (as there is no HS ball in the fall). This is how it works-

- We trade games worked for time in the University's Dome - mechanics in the pre-season

- Members donate their time to do this

- I am the only NCAA guy that 'works' these games, the rest are JV and Varsity level guys. - I am there as a trainer/evaluator.

- Many of the guys will never do college ball, but they want to learn (the BEST PART). They get really good pitching, good fielding, speed is much faster etc.

Many of the guys love to do these games, as we work on 2, 3 & 4 man systems. Some of the comments I hear are that this level of the game makes your HS 'game' better.

IMO - the plate is the easiest job on the field for these games. The pitchers are all on the plate and the catching is ++, so the balls and strikes are easy.

The fielding is where the questions come up - and the college is great about letting the guys 'get it right'.

My final thoughts are - KUDOS to the D-1 program for allowing us to work the games (it benefits them with free umpires), and KUDOS to the guys that work the games - they work very hard during the fall.

  • Like 2
Posted

Willing to learn is huge......hustle is over rated. There is such a thing as over hustling. I will take angle over distance every time. As long as hes willing to learn, develops good judgment, a good healthy sized strike zone, is approachable/personable, I will take that kind of umpire all day, even if its a night game! LOL

  • Like 1
Posted

Willing to learn is huge......hustle is over rated. There is such a thing as over hustling. I will take angle over distance every time. As long as hes willing to learn, develops good judgment, a good healthy sized strike zone, is approachable/personable, I will take that kind of umpire all day, even if its a night game! LOL

 

Agreed, but some umpires use this as an excuse to not move.  Some guys barely make it outside of a 10 foot diameter in the working area all game.  If you can close distance while keeping the proper angle, then do it!  

Posted

What is the 'movement' you speak of, and 10' working area? You mean a plate umpire has to move?  :sarcasm:

  • Like 1
Posted

Yes, like a partner I had who covered third on a ground ball to short. Thanks a million!!

  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

I agree, new guys need to cut their teeth on those lower level games....BUT:

 

We older (and hopefully wiser) guys need to be wiling to step down to those lower levels from time-to-time as mentors to those newbies.   Otherwise, that kid just spends time re-enforcing improper mechanics, and when he tries to move up later he'll be a mess.

 

For the long term health of baseball in your area, please take some time to work with the newbies.

  • Like 3
Posted

I agree, new guys need to cut their teeth on those lower level games....BUT:

 

We older (and hopefully wiser) guys need to be wiling to step down to those lower levels from time-to-time as mentors to those newbies.   Otherwise, that kid just spends time re-enforcing improper mechanics, and when he tries to move up later he'll be a mess.

 

For the long term health of baseball in your area, please take some time to work with the newbies.

I have always been willing to work with Rolando and do a few tee ball games with him. But, now he has graduated to coach pitch...

  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

assigner – a person who assigns, allots or apportions.

 

assignor – a person who legally transfers to another some property or right.

 

one of my pet peeves.

×
×
  • Create New...