Jump to content
  • 0

Obstruction Interpretation


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4575 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Posted

I need some input on an obstruction call for when the batter/runner rounds 1B on a single and bumps into the 1B fielder. No real attempt was made to go to 2B in my opinion. Is this obstruction? Is there a difference on the call between LL rules and PONY?

17 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

Not familiar with LL or Pony but in FEDlandia it is OBS protect to 2nd base.

  • 0
Posted

Not familiar with LL or Pony but in FEDlandia it is OBS protect to 2nd base.

 

IF you rule OBS, then the award is mandatory in FED.

 

As described, I would not rule OBS in this case, since the runner was not hindered per FED 2-22-1 or OBR 2.00 OBSTRUCTION.

  • Like 2
  • 0
Posted

Not familiar with LL or Pony but in FEDlandia it is OBS protect to 2nd base.

 

Not necessarily.  If the runner wasn't hindered, then it could simply be nothing.

 

As far as PONY and LL are concerned, there is no difference in the ruling.  If you DO rule obstruction, then since it's type B, you have the ability to decide whether or not to award bases.  If you don't think the runner would have made it to second, then no award is necessary.  If he ends up getting thrown out trying to make it back to first, then you can protect him back to first as well, without any additional award.

  • 0
Posted

 

Not familiar with LL or Pony but in FEDlandia it is OBS protect to 2nd base.

 

IF you rule OBS, then the award is mandatory in FED.

 

As described, I would not rule OBS in this case, since the runner was not hindered per FED 2-22-1 or OBR 2.00 OBSTRUCTION.

 

Which is why I said. Protect to 2nd base.

  • 0
Posted

 

Not familiar with LL or Pony but in FEDlandia it is OBS protect to 2nd base.

 

Not necessarily.  If the runner wasn't hindered, then it could simply be nothing.

 

As far as PONY and LL are concerned, there is no difference in the ruling.  If you DO rule obstruction, then since it's type B, you have the ability to decide whether or not to award bases.  If you don't think the runner would have made it to second, then no award is necessary.  If he ends up getting thrown out trying to make it back to first, then you can protect him back to first as well, without any additional award.

 

We don't really know what a bump is on the OP so I imaging it as a clear OBS under told otherwise. :wave:

  • 0
Posted

 

 

Not familiar with LL or Pony but in FEDlandia it is OBS protect to 2nd base.

 

Not necessarily.  If the runner wasn't hindered, then it could simply be nothing.

 

As far as PONY and LL are concerned, there is no difference in the ruling.  If you DO rule obstruction, then since it's type B, you have the ability to decide whether or not to award bases.  If you don't think the runner would have made it to second, then no award is necessary.  If he ends up getting thrown out trying to make it back to first, then you can protect him back to first as well, without any additional award.

 

We don't really know what a bump is on the OP so I imaging it as a clear OBS under told otherwise. :wave:

 

 

Fair enough.  For me, since he said it was a single, so I am envisioning an inadvertent bump that had no effect on the outcome of the play. That's nothing in my book.

  • 0
Posted

 

 

 

Not familiar with LL or Pony but in FEDlandia it is OBS protect to 2nd base.

 

Not necessarily.  If the runner wasn't hindered, then it could simply be nothing.

 

As far as PONY and LL are concerned, there is no difference in the ruling.  If you DO rule obstruction, then since it's type B, you have the ability to decide whether or not to award bases.  If you don't think the runner would have made it to second, then no award is necessary.  If he ends up getting thrown out trying to make it back to first, then you can protect him back to first as well, without any additional award.

 

We don't really know what a bump is on the OP so I imaging it as a clear OBS under told otherwise. :wave:

 

 

Fair enough.  For me, since he said it was a single, so I am envisioning an inadvertent bump that had no effect on the outcome of the play. That's nothing in my book.

 

I make everything about me! I make calls just so that other people will look at me!  :shakehead:  :no:  :smachhead:

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

 

We don't really know what a bump is on the OP so I imaging it as a clear OBS under told otherwise. :wave:

 

 

 

 

You were told otherwise.

 

From the OP: "No real attempt was made to go to 2B in my opinion"

 

So unless you are reading something else into it like the runner fell down, then it's not OBS.

  • 0
Posted

If you think 'its nothing' we use the mechanic- both arms out, closed fists and verbal' thats nothing' so that every sees that you've seen it and haven't ruled it as OBS.

  • 0
Posted

At youth game, I have been known to call obstruction on F3 after I've already told him to get out of the way earlier in the game. I don't award a base (unless it is warranted), I'm just trying to teach F3 to play the game right, avoid injury... and oh yeah, what Jax said about getting everybody to look at me.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

At youth game, I have been known to call obstruction on F3 after I've already told him to get out of the way earlier in the game. I don't award a base (unless it is warranted), I'm just trying to teach F3 to play the game right, avoid injury... and oh yeah, what Jax said about getting everybody to look at me.

Definitely a pet peeve of mine in kiddie ball.F3, F4, F6, F5 running to and standing on the base as a runner is trying to round the bag. Got to call OBS on these kids so they'll learn. 

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

 

 

We don't really know what a bump is on the OP so I imaging it as a clear OBS under told otherwise. :wave:

 

 

 

 

You were told otherwise.

 

From the OP: "No real attempt was made to go to 2B in my opinion"

 

So unless you are reading something else into it like the runner fell down, then it's not OBS.

 

If there was no reason other than stupidity from F3 to be standing in the way. OBS

  • 0
Posted

 

At youth game, I have been known to call obstruction on F3 after I've already told him to get out of the way earlier in the game. I don't award a base (unless it is warranted), I'm just trying to teach F3 to play the game right, avoid injury... and oh yeah, what Jax said about getting everybody to look at me.

Definitely a pet peeve of mine in kiddie ball.F3, F4, F6, F5 running to and standing on the base as a runner is trying to round the bag. Got to call OBS on these kids so they'll learn. 

 

 

I've noticed in quite a bit with F5 when the ball is in the outfield -- and what looks like calculated to interfere with the baserunner.   My cynical mind thinks there are idiot coaches who have lost the point of it all who are teaching players that they can get away with this in one ump games where the U cannot possibly see it happen. 

  • 0
Posted

 

 

At youth game, I have been known to call obstruction on F3 after I've already told him to get out of the way earlier in the game. I don't award a base (unless it is warranted), I'm just trying to teach F3 to play the game right, avoid injury... and oh yeah, what Jax said about getting everybody to look at me.

Definitely a pet peeve of mine in kiddie ball.F3, F4, F6, F5 running to and standing on the base as a runner is trying to round the bag. Got to call OBS on these kids so they'll learn. 

 

 

I've noticed in quite a bit with F5 when the ball is in the outfield -- and what looks like calculated to interfere with the baserunner.   My cynical mind thinks there are idiot coaches who have lost the point of it all who are teaching players that they can get away with this in one ump games where the U cannot possibly see it happen. 

 

We were taught as players when we didn't have a play at our base to stand  near/next the base to force the runner to run around us. Is this technically obs? I think so, but it was never called and runners never ran into us.

  • 0
Posted

We were taught as players when we didn't have a play at our base to stand  near/next the base to force the runner to run around us. Is this technically obs? I think so, but it was never called ....

 

Neither was my malicious elbow to F5's head.

  • 0
Posted

 

We were taught as players when we didn't have a play at our base to stand  near/next the base to force the runner to run around us. Is this technically obs? I think so, but it was never called ....

 

Neither was my malicious elbow to F5's head.

 

Yes, we played a different type of ball in my day.

  • 0
Posted

 

 

 

At youth game, I have been known to call obstruction on F3 after I've already told him to get out of the way earlier in the game. I don't award a base (unless it is warranted), I'm just trying to teach F3 to play the game right, avoid injury... and oh yeah, what Jax said about getting everybody to look at me.

Definitely a pet peeve of mine in kiddie ball.F3, F4, F6, F5 running to and standing on the base as a runner is trying to round the bag. Got to call OBS on these kids so they'll learn. 

 

 

I've noticed in quite a bit with F5 when the ball is in the outfield -- and what looks like calculated to interfere with the baserunner.   My cynical mind thinks there are idiot coaches who have lost the point of it all who are teaching players that they can get away with this in one ump games where the U cannot possibly see it happen. 

 

We were taught as players when we didn't have a play at our base to stand  near/next the base to force the runner to run around us. Is this technically obs? I think so, but it was never called and runners never ran into us.

 

I see it a lot at 3rd in the lower levels. If I see  the coach is waiving a runner around 3rd and I see that runner slow down to change the angle/direction of his turn around third because F5 is standing on the bag watching the outfielders, I'll call OBS all day long. 

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...