Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4632 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Which NCAA Clinic are you going to?  

24 members have voted

  1. 1. Which NCAA Clinic are you going to?

    • Dallas -- January 4th
    • Orange County, CA -- January 11th
    • Atlanta -- January 18th
    • Philadelphia -- January 25th


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

It was good. Very interesting that they are taking on the strike zone, as mentioned above they want the zone called as written, and the they want more strikes called based on coach feedback. But - don't go beyond the strike zone as written...

Lot of emphasis on the high strike. Call it.

As always good video. Some unnamed guys really got hung out to dry; deserved but a great reminder that we are all on video and to do the right thing.

Anyone notice how many times Hiler talked about "old timers" not wanting to change and how many of the (but not all) of the "embarrassing umpires" were gray hairs?  Not saying bias, but making clear that what used to work in some cases doesn't anymore, like taking plays at first in foul territory (unless pressured) and the plate umpire instantly moving to his left, 1BX, to take plays at the plate. These will no longer be tolerated.

Aside from umpiring though, lack of bathroom (500+ guys and what, 4 urinals on the floor?), and couldn't get lunch, the line was too long. On the plus side I waited out the snow and left around 5PM it was sunny and clear, even my flight was on time.

Posted

If I wasn't currently at TUS I definitely would have made the trip to Philly. Hopefully next year I will be able to attend one.

How is TUS going?

Posted

If I wasn't currently at TUS I definitely would have made the trip to Philly. Hopefully next year I will be able to attend one.

How is TUS going?

Very good. Final week starts tomorrow, will be a big week for a lot of us.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

 

If I wasn't currently at TUS I definitely would have made the trip to Philly. Hopefully next year I will be able to attend one.

How is TUS going?

Very good. Final week starts tomorrow, will be a big week for a lot of us.

 

What is your ranking in the class, according to you.

Posted

If I wasn't currently at TUS I definitely would have made the trip to Philly. Hopefully next year I will be able to attend one.

How is TUS going?

Very good. Final week starts tomorrow, will be a big week for a lot of us.

What is your ranking in the class, according to you.

To be better each day.

But in all seriousness it is tough to tell. There is 90 of us. Usually split up each day two fields(45 people) and have people going to cages too. Impossible to see everyone. Definitely can tell some guys "get it" and have great instinct where others are still struggling a bit.

I will say everyone that I have seen has improved from day 1 leaps and bounds. Awesome experience.

Posted

 

 

 

If I wasn't currently at TUS I definitely would have made the trip to Philly. Hopefully next year I will be able to attend one.

How is TUS going?

Very good. Final week starts tomorrow, will be a big week for a lot of us.

 

What is your ranking in the class, according to you.

 

This is kind of confusing?

 

What was your ranking when you went to the school (seems like you mentioned you went), according to you. And, what did it turn out to be in the end. Just seems like nobody would know till the final exam scores are posted, or whatever means is used to let the students know. How do they score it anyway?? Just like they score the MiLB guys during the season or is there some other criteria? 5 or 10 categories and a score for each and then add them up with a point total or grade, or pass/fail. Just don't think anyone has mentioned it before.

Posted

To be better each day.

But in all seriousness it is tough to tell. There is 90 of us. Usually split up each day two fields(45 people) and have people going to cages too. Impossible to see everyone. Definitely can tell some guys "get it" and have great instinct where others are still struggling a bit.

I will say everyone that I have seen has improved from day 1 leaps and bounds. Awesome experience.

Are you going for a job or to improve as an umpire but not in Minor League Baseball?

Posted

To be better each day.But in all seriousness it is tough to tell. There is 90 of us. Usually split up each day two fields(45 people) and have people going to cages too. Impossible to see everyone. Definitely can tell some guys "get it" and have great instinct where others are still struggling a bit.I will say everyone that I have seen has improved from day 1 leaps and bounds. Awesome experience.

Are you going for a job or to improve as an umpire but not in Minor League Baseball?

A job would be nice but if it does not workout it's not the end of the world.

Posted

I spent about $700 on the weekend, including flight, hotel, and other stuff. Great head start on my 2014 tax deductions. And met some old, very good friends, too. Could've been worse, but it's high time the NCAA moves to a WebEx presentation or to a bi-annual meeting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I agree with this -- especially in a year with no rules changes.

 

Some of us just can't make any of the meetings.

 

And to your costs you can add the lost income from officiating other sports.

×
×
  • Create New...