Dropped Third Strike???

Scratch Franzeo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3349 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

FED rule set ...

X & 2 count, nobody on. Batter looks at third strike. The pitched ball hits F2 directly in the glove, bounces straight up. F2 catches ball as it comes down. The ball never touches the ground.

D3K??

It met the requiremnts of "catch" under any rules set.  Batter is out.

FED rule set ... X & 2 count, nobody on. Batter looks at third strike. The pitched ball hits F2 directly in the glove, bounces straight up. F2 catches ball as it comes down. The ball never touches the ground. D3K??
Not D3K

If you stop calling it "dropped" (slang and incorrect) and call it "uncaught" as the rules call it will be easier to understand. Note that to be caught it must be secured in flight. If it hits the ground and is then gloved securely it is still uncaught.

Agreed.  ANd remember that if it hits the ground first and is then tipped, it can be caught for a foul-tip strike.

If you stop calling it "dropped" (slang and incorrect) and call it "uncaught" as the rules call it will be easier to understand. Note that to be caught it must be secured in flight. If it hits the ground and is then gloved securely it is still uncaught.

This ^^^^^ makes a lot of sense.

Or if it hits him anywhere besides his hand or glove, it's uncaught.<br /><br />Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

I don't think so. It's a pitch, not a foul tip.

Yes, you and Mr. Umpire are correct, I was answering while doing a show and braincramped. Sorry. 

• 1 year later...

Situation: R1, 2 outs.

Batter swings on strike 3, misses the ball, and the ball goes directly into PU's facemask without being touched by the catcher. The ball is dead since it's blocked in PU's facemask. Batter is awarded 1B ? 

Situation: R1, 2 outs.

Batter swings on strike 3, misses the ball, and the ball goes directly into PU's facemask without being touched by the catcher. The ball is dead since it's blocked in PU's facemask. Batter is awarded 1B ? 

Correct

Rule 5.09(g) Comment:

If a foul tip hits the umpire and is caught by a fielder on the rebound, the ball is “dead†and the batsman cannot be called out. The same shall apply where such foul tip lodges in the umpire’s mask or other paraphernalia. If a third strike (not a foul tip) passes the catcher and hits an umpire, the ball is in play.

If such ball rebounds and is caught by a fielder before it touches the ground, the batsman is not out on such a catch, but the ball remains in play and the batsman may be retired at first base, or touched with the ball for the out.

If a pitched ball lodges in the umpire’s or catcher’s mask or paraphernalia, and remains out of play, on the third strike or fourth ball, then the batter is entitled to first base and all runners advance one base. If the count on the batter is less than three balls, runners advance one base.

In Fed, I'm pretty sure the rules are silent on what happens when the ball is lodged on strike three. Of course, I would award the batter first and all runners one base, just like in OBR.