Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4740 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm just glad that dude didn't come around and score, 'cause we all know the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would occur if he did. Again, I'm perfectly fine with replay being there to 'fix' this, let Joe throw the flag and move on instead of trotting out there to cry like a clown. And it's in the umpire's enlightened self-interest as well - fix it, move on, forget about it instead of it being the summer meme of how much these guys suck.

Posted

I'm just glad that dude didn't come around and score, 'cause we all know the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would occur if he did. Again, I'm perfectly fine with replay being there to 'fix' this, let Joe throw the flag and move on instead of trotting out there to cry like a clown. And it's in the umpire's enlightened self-interest as well - fix it, move on, forget about it instead of it being the summer meme of how much these guys suck.

I like this ....

 

however,...

Sox 4th run was on a missed call....

Posted

 

I'm just glad that dude didn't come around and score, 'cause we all know the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would occur if he did. Again, I'm perfectly fine with replay being there to 'fix' this, let Joe throw the flag and move on instead of trotting out there to cry like a clown. And it's in the umpire's enlightened self-interest as well - fix it, move on, forget about it instead of it being the summer meme of how much these guys suck.

I like this ....

 

however,...

Sox 4th run was on a missed call....

 

 

Yea...but you know NESN, the Booyah Network (ESPN), Deadspin, and others would conveniently forget that!

Posted

If you watch enough replays of plays at 2B - honestly with an open mind - I'll bet you'll see that most of the time the best view is from outside, not inside.

 

Oh, absolutely, ESPECIALLY in 4 man when you don't have pickoff responsibilities at 1st or 3rd. No twisting to watch the throw from the catcher and possibly being in motion at the time of call, less likelihood of the runner's body screening you, etc.

Posted

If you watch enough replays of plays at 2B - honestly with an open mind - I'll bet you'll see that most of the time the best view is from outside, not inside.

And I think one of the leagues used to be outside always as U2 and the other inside and then they all came inside.  I do think it would be worth at least an experiment in spring training or the fall leagues (if theyuse 4 umpires) to at least try it and see the advantages and disadvantages.

  • Like 1
Posted

The main problem with the outside at this level is the range of the infielders and how deep they play at times.  I'd imagine that is the reason they came inside.  Less likely to be involved with the play while being as close to it as possible.

Posted

Look at the overhead view - F4 was between the umpire and the tag of the base.  In hindsight Winters perhaps could have taken one more step in and seen the play better.  Maybe.

Posted

 

Plus you have tagup responsibilities and rotations. Can't do all that outside. 

 

 

Back when the AL was outside they managed somehow.

 

They managed with rafts too but that didn't mean it was a good idea. :)

Posted

Plus you have tagup responsibilities and rotations. Can't do all that outside. 

I think you could get all the tagups.  Rotating to first with multiple runners could be an issue.  the question is which is more important, frequent, missed under the various alternatives.

Posted

I don't care if you are inside or outside, you have to adjust to get a better angle if you find yourself looking at the fielders butt. A step to the right would have done that.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...