Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5127 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Not saying it wasn't a strike, it was, ...it was a high-strike, but still .........anyhow .....

Watch all the way through ..... I can't really see where this EJ gets 'worthy' .....

We've seen Estabrook go too far w/ KC before .....

http://mlb.mlb.com/v...ent_id=24748557

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24748557&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_24748557&v=3

Posted

9.02

(a) Any umpire’s decision which involves judgment, such as, but not limited to, whether a batted ball is fair or foul, whether a pitch is a strike or a ball, or whether a runner is safe or out, is final. No player, manager, coach or substitute shall object to any such judgment decisions.

Rule 9.02(a) Comment: Players leaving their position in the field or on base, or managers or coaches leaving the bench or coaches box, to argue on BALLS AND STRIKES will not be permitted. They should be warned if they start for the plate to protest the call. If they continue, they will be ejected from the game.

He argued, saying it was high, he left his position in the box, he was warned, he continued. According to the rule that's "worthy" enough

Maybe I am just too literal with the rules, I am open to that possibility

  • Like 1
Posted

My problem is how PU went to the player mouthing off. He made the aggressive move in this disagreement. I understand the batter may have said the magic word to get EJ so I don't question its worthiness. I question what led up to the "worthiness".

I think it was handled poorly even for MLB. But, this isn't the first time Estabrook made it more confrontational than it appeared to others not standing 5 feet away. I think he needs to seriously work on his own aggression issues.

Posted

My problem is how PU went to the player mouthing off. He made the aggressive move in this disagreement. I understand the batter may have said the magic word to get EJ so I don't question its worthiness. I question what led up to the "worthiness".

I think it was handled poorly even for MLB. But, this isn't the first time Estabrook made it more confrontational than it appeared to others not standing 5 feet away. I think he needs to seriously work on his own aggression issues.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's what I meant to say!

Posted

My problem is how PU went to the player mouthing off. He made the aggressive move in this disagreement. I understand the batter may have said the magic word to get EJ so I don't question its worthiness. I question what led up to the "worthiness".

I think it was handled poorly even for MLB. But, this isn't the first time Estabrook made it more confrontational than it appeared to others not standing 5 feet away. I think he needs to seriously work on his own aggression issues.

I will disagree.. Pu started off just answering the question, then Butler had to keep running his mouth, then the PU is saying something... But this is the players fault, not the Umpires.

Posted

Agree w/ Haid here. Butler questions it, Easterbrook lets him question it. Dollars to donuts Easterbrook gave him the "that's it". Butler comes back for more. That's worthy right there.

Posted

Then, if Estabrook said "That's it", he should have EJ Butler from behind the plate instead of getting in Butler's face. It looks a lot better than getting in Butler's face to treat him like a child.

He should have answered the question. Then, when Butler continues, say "That's enough". Then, when he continues, EJ him without getting in his face. It looks like baiting when handled how Estabrook did it.

No one said it was the umpire's fault. Only how it was handled is his fault.

Posted

I see both sides here. I can see Haids point but I also can see a point where if estabrook just left it alone maybe there would have been no EJ. With regards to renegades point I don't think that a batter stepping out of the box should be treated the same way as a coach leaving his box particularly because the hitter leaving the box is actually moving him further away so I don't think that alone should be an EJ.

Posted

Then, if Estabrook said "That's it", he should have EJ Butler from behind the plate instead of getting in Butler's face. It looks a lot better than getting in Butler's face to treat him like a child.

He should have answered the question. Then, when Butler continues, say "That's enough". Then, when he continues, EJ him without getting in his face. It looks like baiting when handled how Estabrook did it.

No one said it was the umpire's fault. Only how it was handled is his fault.

So "it's the umpire's fault even if it's not the umpire's fault". Great. Just great.

Posted

Then, if Estabrook said "That's it", he should have EJ Butler from behind the plate instead of getting in Butler's face. It looks a lot better than getting in Butler's face to treat him like a child.

He should have answered the question. Then, when Butler continues, say "That's enough". Then, when he continues, EJ him without getting in his face. It looks like baiting when handled how Estabrook did it.

No one said it was the umpire's fault. Only how it was handled is his fault.

So "it's the umpire's fault even if it's not the umpire's fault". Great. Just great.

His aggressiveness is his fault. The EJ is not b/c Butler overstepped his bounds on his own. But, so did Estabrook. What is Estabrook's fault is how he escalated it instead of letting Butler do it himself. I think Butler would have EJ himself soon enough and on his own without being treated like a child. He probably acts like one on his own with no help.
Posted

So, let's see if I've got this right. Butler bitches about balls and strikes. Easterbrook listens. (We assume) he shuts it down with the "That's the end" signal. Do I have it so far? Butler blows through it. Beyond dispute. What happens after that is all window dressing. Pro game. Pro rules. Which means if $10 million dollar babies want to abuse the umpire, Mr. Easterbrook doesn't have to just sit there and take it up the a$$.

Whine about professionalism all you want. Butler wanted out. Easterbrook showed him the door.

Posted

Then, if Estabrook said "That's it", he should have EJ Butler from behind the plate instead of getting in Butler's face. It looks a lot better than getting in Butler's face to treat him like a child.

He should have answered the question. Then, when Butler continues, say "That's enough". Then, when he continues, EJ him without getting in his face. It looks like baiting when handled how Estabrook did it.

No one said it was the umpire's fault. Only how it was handled is his fault.

So "it's the umpire's fault even if it's not the umpire's fault". Great. Just great.

His aggressiveness is his fault. The EJ is not b/c Butler overstepped his bounds on his own. But, so did Estabrook. What is Estabrook's fault is how he escalated it instead of letting Butler do it himself. I think Butler would have EJ himself soon enough and on his own without being treated like a child. He probably acts like one on his own with no help.

WTF video are you watching?... the Ej is not Butlers fault?.. he turned around and moved his arm up and down then, kept talking and looking back at the umpire.. but this is the Pu fault....PU didn't even get crazy, probably told him to get back in the box or something... thats why the Pu was moving up a little maybe trying to get in back in the box, before he gets EJ'd...LOl crazy.

Posted

So, let's see if I've got this right. Butler bitches about balls and strikes. Easterbrook listens. (We assume) he shuts it down with the "That's the end" signal. Do I have it so far? Butler blows through it. Beyond dispute. What happens after that is all window dressing. Pro game. Pro rules. Which means if $10 million dollar babies want to abuse the umpire, Mr. Easterbrook doesn't have to just sit there and take it up the a$$.

Whine about professionalism all you want. Butler wanted out. Easterbrook showed him the door.

I agree, but Butler didnt want out, just wanted to plead his case, but didnt do it in the right matter.

Posted

Guys, I think sometimes we forget when we watch these clips. These are PROFESSIONAL umpires working PROFESSIONAL baseball. WE are "professional" umpires working AMATEUR level baseball. Apples and oranges!

Posted

Then, if Estabrook said "That's it", he should have EJ Butler from behind the plate instead of getting in Butler's face. It looks a lot better than getting in Butler's face to treat him like a child.

He should have answered the question. Then, when Butler continues, say "That's enough". Then, when he continues, EJ him without getting in his face. It looks like baiting when handled how Estabrook did it.

No one said it was the umpire's fault. Only how it was handled is his fault.

So "it's the umpire's fault even if it's not the umpire's fault". Great. Just great.

His aggressiveness is his fault. The EJ is not b/c Butler overstepped his bounds on his own. But, so did Estabrook. What is Estabrook's fault is how he escalated it instead of letting Butler do it himself. I think Butler would have EJ himself soon enough and on his own without being treated like a child. He probably acts like one on his own with no help.

WTF video are you watching?... the Ej is not Butlers fault?.. he turned around and moved his arm up and down then, kept talking and looking back at the umpire.. but this is the Pu fault....PU didn't even get crazy, probably told him to get back in the box or something... thats why the Pu was moving up a little maybe trying to get in back in the box, before he gets EJ'd...LOl crazy.

First, what post are you reading? Where did I say the EJ is not Butler's fault?

And, I did NOT say the EJ was the PU's fault. His aggressive nature is his fault. Pause, read, react. It works on here as well as on the field. Actually, it should be: Read, pause, REREAD, react.

Posted

Guys, I think sometimes we forget when we watch these clips. These are PROFESSIONAL umpires working PROFESSIONAL baseball. WE are "professional" umpires working AMATEUR level baseball. Apples and oranges!

Very true. And, that is the main point of these. Is for us, especially new umpires who do not post but read and watch these kind of things, to learn what to do and what NOT to do. This is definitely something NOT to do.

However, he is the only one (at least, the only one getting any acknowledgement of this) doing these kind of antics. I wonder which way this will go if anywhere. Will more start doing it for "the show" or will they attempt to change his ways? Only time will tell.

Posted

Honestly, I see two potential reasons to eject, arguing balls and strikes and delay of game. The batter showed his displeasure with the call, PU told him that was a good pitch. The batter is still mouthing off about the pitch as he walks further away from the batters box. Plate umpire takes mask off in an effort to show that he has had enough discussing the pitch. Discussion continues, batter says "that's F-ing terrible"

Sorry....You just landed on a whammy......bye bye!

Posted
On 9/15/2012 at 5:19 PM, hbk314 said:
On 9/15/2012 at 4:56 PM, T-Rav said:

Can someone remind me about Mike and Kansas City?

http://mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8644359&c_id=mlb

A lot like Crawford reaming out the catcher in an MLB game years ago. He screamed at the catcher who had butchered pitches all day long, thrown by one of the nuckle-ballers for Houston(?), "how many have you explicative missed, how many have you explicative missed". It was picked up by the mike behind home plate.

Posted

I agree that the stepping around a catcher is probably bad unless there was something we missed. Even then there are better ways to handle it. In this case I don't see his as being over the top.

Posted

I agree that the stepping around a catcher is probably bad unless there was something we missed. Even then there are better ways to handle it. In this case I don't see his as being over the top.

Would you do it? Once he left his area to invade the batter's area, I see that as over the top and an aggressive move. No different than stepping in front of the catcher and getting into his area.

I do not advocate putting up with whatever Butler did or said. The EJ should have happened but the actions leading up to it from the umpire should not. Do what he wants from his area and make the player come to him. Not the umpire going after the player. The EJ could have happened when Butler pulled his initial antics. I would have been good with that b/c it was clear what Butler was doing.

×
×
  • Create New...