D3K Mechanic

BRUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4274 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I've watched a lot of MLB games this year and was wondering what is the propper dropped third strike mechanic. If there are less than two outs and a runner on first I know its just a regular swinging third strike mechanic. But for the other times what is it? In MLB I've seen a safe mechanic a right hand point and something that looks like a hr mechanic. Does it vary by levels?

And you will get a few different responses here.

What works for me (YMMV) is to give a safe mechanic while stating "balls on the ground." Those with their back to me can hear "balls on the ground" and those facing me (who may or may not be able to hear me) can see the safe mechanic.

What works for me (YMMV) is to give a safe mechanic while stating "balls on the ground." Those with their back to me can hear "balls on the ground" and those facing me (who may or may not be able to hear me) can see the safe mechanic.

thanks

has anyone else seen the hr mechanic? I believe it was used when davidson ran charlie manuel after bob yelling in the dugout

I think the mechanic you are talking about that Davidson gives is related to a check swing, indicating the batter did in fact swing at the pitch. I would recommend following noumpere's advice regarding (some) MLB mechanics. They pretty much do what they want. I am sure the "tri city umpire assoc" has some guys who are quality umpires that can take you under their wing. I have a Cal League team (single A) in my backyard that I go and watch. Watching them work two man rotations, mechanics, etc is always spot on and a great learning tool.

my thing is why give the safe mechanic... is the batter turning to look at you?..

give a nice loud "NO CATCH" then point with your right arm extended like a pointing strike mechanic..but if the ball rolls pretty far away, no need to say, or do anything..but after all the training and tons of schools I had been to.. what do i know..

has anyone else seen the hr mechanic? I believe it was used when davidson ran charlie manuel after bob yelling in the dugout

I think the mechanic you are talking about that Davidson gives is related to a check swing, indicating the batter did in fact swing at the pitch. I would recommend following noumpere's advice regarding (some) MLB mechanics. They pretty much do what they want. I am sure the "tri city umpire assoc" has some guys who are quality umpires that can take you under their wing. I have a Cal League team (single A) in my backyard that I go and watch. Watching them work two man rotations, mechanics, etc is always spot on and a great learning tool.

Same I enjoy watching the Lakewood blue claws of the south Atlantic league for the same reason

I would recommend following noumpere's advice regarding (some) MLB mechanics. They pretty much do what they want.

Chalk this up to the same as our coaches when we were younger telling us not to be as nonchalant as MLB players

Trout,

Since you've been busy quoting interps out of your new PBUC manual, why don't you look it up and see what they say.

It doesn't say much....

PBUCUM 9.11 "Crews shall address a procedure whereby assistance can be given by the base umpire on dropped thiird strikes and foul tips near the dirt. It is realized that thee overall dynamic of the play could be ultimatelt affected by the possible change of a call, but all efforts should be made by the crew to suffeciently communicate and correctly call the play.

If the plate umpire signale the batter swung on a third strike, then a second mechanic by the plate umpire shall indicate that the batter has been declared out."

That's it in its entirety.

Here is my method of madness...

- On DK3 I will give my swinging strike Mechanic (pointing strike mechanic) with arm extended.

- If it is unclear to the off. or def. that the ball was dropped (i.e. short hop), i will also give a verbal "No Catch"

- I take a read step right or left as needed to see the possible tag attempt.

- If tag is made, I give my OUT mechanic.

- If tag is attempted and missed, I will give the SAFE mechanic.

- If no tag attempt is made, I will leave my right arm extended until runner steps out of the dirt circle.

I try to let the play dictate what mechanics to use. Remember that our safe mechanic has many meanings....."Safe", "No catch", "that's Nothing", "balls in play" etc. To everyone else, safe mechanic only looks like safe. So I try to use it only when the situation calls for it.

Here is my method of madness...

- On DK3 I will give my swinging strike Mechanic (pointing strike mechanic) with arm extended.

- If it is unclear to the off. or def. that the ball was dropped (i.e. short hop), i will also give a verbal "No Catch"

- I take a read step right or left as needed to see the possible tag attempt.

- If tag is made, I give my OUT mechanic.

- If tag is attempted and missed, I will give the SAFE mechanic.

- If no tag attempt is made, I will leave my right arm extended until runner steps out of the dirt circle.

I try to let the play dictate what mechanics to use. Remember that our safe mechanic has many meanings....."Safe", "No catch", "that's Nothing", "balls in play" etc. To everyone else, safe mechanic only looks like safe. So I try to use it only when the situation calls for it.

wow.. very nice.. that is all we need to do.. it is very simple isnt it...

• 4 weeks later...

So I've watched a lot of MLB games this year and was wondering what is the propper dropped third strike mechanic. If there are less than two outs and a runner on first I know its just a regular swinging third strike mechanic. But for the other times what is it? In MLB I've seen a safe mechanic a right hand point and something that looks like a hr mechanic. Does it vary by levels?

I use an open-palm down by my waist. Or a arm out with a open-hand.

The situation does definitely determine what actions I take. My actual D3K mechanic is the safe signal with closed fists, and verbal "no catch." Of course, if it happens quickly and F2 gets the tag, theres no time for the mech other than the strike mech and the ensuing out mech. Fittske hit the nail on the head. Good form.