D3K Mechanic

BRUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4274 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• 2 weeks later...

The only way to show a safe signal, or a not out/nothing signal, is arms out at shoulder height, palms down and fingers together. I have heard of this closed fist thing several times here and have no idea where it came from but it is incorrect.

This might be one of the dumbest things around... it makes no sense why guys do this...

It probably started because you keep your indicator in your hand, so to keep from dropping it, you cup your left hand. Someone adopted the left fist and incorporated the right. Probably an evolution type thing. You guys may have found the missing link.

It probably started because you keep your indicator in your hand, so to keep from dropping it, you cup your left hand. Someone adopted the left fist and incorporated the right. Probably an evolution type thing. You guys may have found the missing link.

Possibly but even with an indicator in your hand you can get your hand flat and straight. Unless you have your mask off, all you have to do is have your indicator between your thumb and the side of your hand.

If I'm being evaled and this is the only comment my evaluator has, I'm happy. This is one of those trivial things absolutely NOONE but other umpires notice. At the end of the day, WGAS?!?

I always strive to look as sharp as possible, I will have enough chances to not look sharp, so if getting my hands open and flat will do it then there you go. To me it is no different than not flying away on safes, getting my strike point crisp and at my shoulder, or having good timing. Most coaches may not notice but they do notice guys that don't.

I actually made it a point yesterday to make my D3K open handed. I will ask my evaluator where he stands on this, if correct/incorrect. I disagree that coaches will notice. Or anyone else, for that matter. I was watching Tigers/ChiSox last night, and HP signaled D3K by pointing down with his right index finger. You think of all the people watching more than a handful noticed HP's mech? Other than guys like us, that is. I highly doubt it.