Plate Ump has the wrong count...

stl_ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4333 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

When I wear my ball bags on the bases I keep a couple of sodas (maybe a beer depending on the ages) in one bag and a couple of snacks and a sandwich in the other bag.

So wearing them on the bases does come in handy!

put your indicator next to the cheetos

Not sure what an indicator is but I do keep my clicker in there!

• Like 1

Way to turn the subject into a laughing matter Jax! I don't carry one in the field, but I have trouble sometime with the count. Me and my partners always signal to each other before a batter steps into the box after each play to make sure we are on the same page. When asked in the field the count, I show them my hands, which are empty and usually say "concentrating on balks, pick offs, steals, outs, and plays. But my partners usually show count every other pitch or so it doesn't get brought up much!

Thanks! (I think)

I didn't know using an indicator on the field was such a big discussion point.

It is a big point.. it's not your job that game as the BU to keep the count...If a players ask me and i don't know.. I will tell him.. " I don't know, that not my job this game"...

Thanks! (I think)

It is a big point.. it's not your job that game as the BU to keep the count...If a players ask me and i don't know.. I will tell him.. " I don't know, that not my job this game"...

It's a point of contention for some. Those who use an indicator onn the bases will adamantly defend why. Those who don't don't really care. When asked for the count, I will either tell them I don't keep the count, or ask my partner non-verbally, who will then give the count to everyone. I've never seen an NCAA, MiLB, or MLB BU with an indicator. They're kind of the gold standard we go by. Anyone been to JE or HW been told one way or the other?

Thanks! (I think)

It's a point of contention for some. Those who use an indicator onn the bases will adamantly defend why. Those who don't don't really care. When asked for the count, I will either tell them I don't keep the count, or ask my partner non-verbally, who will then give the count to everyone. I've never seen an NCAA, MiLB, or MLB BU with an indicator. They're kind of the gold standard we go by. Anyone been to JE or HW been told one way or the other?

And the platinum standard is what is expected by your organization & evaluators.

If those who don't, don't really care, then why do they make such an issue of it. They are the ones that threaten physical abuse of their partner, destruction of the indicator, or say they will never work the BU who uses an indicator again.

• Like 2

<p>

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Thanks! (I think)<br />

I didn&#39;t know using an indicator on the field was such a big discussion point.<br />

<br />

<br />

It is a big point.. it&#39;s not your job that game as the BU to keep the count...If a players ask me and i don&#39;t know.. I will tell him.. &quot; I don&#39;t know, that not my job this game&quot;...<br />

It&#39;s a point of contention for some. Those who use an indicator onn the bases will adamantly defend why.<strong> Those who don&#39;t don&#39;t really care</strong>. When asked for the count, I will either tell them I don&#39;t keep the count, or ask my partner non-verbally, who will then give the count to everyone. I&#39;ve never seen an NCAA, MiLB, or MLB BU with an indicator. They&#39;re kind of the gold standard we go by. Anyone been to JE or HW been told one way or the other?<br />

<br />

And the platinum standard is what is expected by your organization &amp; evaluators. <br />

<br />

If those who don&#39;t, don&#39;t really care, then why do they make such an issue of it.  They are the ones that threaten physical abuse of their partner, destruction of the indicator, or say they will never work the BU who uses an indicator again.<br />

<br />

<br />

</p>

Agreed. Those that don't do seem to be the most "militant" about it. I don't use one when working two man but try and remember to bring one if working U1 on three man usu to help. (Not saying I actually do remember ti bring one... just that I TRY to.)

Thanks! (I think)

And the platinum standard is what is expected by your organization &amp; evaluators.

If those who don't, don't really care, then why do they make such an issue of it. They are the ones that threaten physical abuse of their partner, destruction of the indicator, or say they will never work the BU who uses an indicator again.

For the purpose of this post, I will consider myself "They." Since it is forbidden by AHSAA, I will remind BU to leave it in his pocket. That way he won't lose point if we happen to be getting evaluated that game. I've been evaled twice, and never saw him. He's the eval ninja.

When I wear my ball bags on the bases I keep a couple of sodas (maybe a beer depending on the ages) in one bag and a couple of snacks and a sandwich in the other bag.

So wearing them on the bases does come in handy!

If they are Smitty bags, one could stash a snub-nose .38 in one of the pockets. You know, just in case....

I may stand to be corrected but I was told by a guy that went to school that they are told not to carry an indicator on the field. That being said, I explained to him my position on it. Although it is not required, bear in mind that he would not be calling with three other guys on a high school field and the other guy he was calling with probably did not have the skill level of what he saw at school. If an organization told me not to do it, I would sure abide by the bylaws of the chapter and not do it. In Texas, I have not been told either way. Sometimes I do and sometimes I do not.

Thanks! (I think)

After which the player thinks "What a clown. The umpire doesn't even know the count. What ELSE is he not paying attention to?"

If you don't have a problem keeping up with the count without an indicator , that's fine . Some umpires I know don't even use one behind the plate . I choose to use one on the bases and behind the plate . If I'm behind the plate and lose the count , I'm signaling to my partner for help . If he gives me the old shrug of the shoulders , we WILL have a talk after the game !

MiLB umpires are taught not to carry one for two reasons,one, they have just spent fives weeks of intensive training and pretty good. The other is they are working in pro stadiums with professional scoreboard operaters. Also, their partners are trained when to show the count and to do so correctly and clearly. At that point they only have to remember a pitch or two. Since many of us have been trained by guys that are pros they have learned this from them at the clinics. Many NCAA guys have been to pro school so they follow suit. At the HS and lower levels we work with a variety of partners and not the best fields with who knows running the scoreboard, if it even exists.

I have always carried one, will continue to do so but I teach my guys to do what they feel works for them. Some guys don't carry one on the plate but that's stupid. MiLB requires their PUs to carry one, why wouldn't we do the same?

Trout:

The noncarry guys are usually the ones that get ripped about it. They say they would take their BU's indicator or blackball them, that's stupid. As a trainer I don't care which they do but don't let me see you losing counts because you don't. If a PU told me he wouldn't allow me to do my job as I see fit I would tell him to pack sand and do as I know. It is only an issue for me because noncarriers make it an issue.

• Like 2

I have never once seen a post on here saying that those who don't carry are stupid/lazy/incompetent/bush/amateurish. I've seen plenty the other way.

Do you as you wish or are instructed to do so, but don't tell me otherwise. Unless you'd like endless comments on your plate stance, strike zone, strike mechanic, etc.

If you don't have a problem keeping up with the count without an indicator , that's fine . Some umpires I know don't even use one behind the plate . I choose to use one on the bases and behind the plate . If I'm behind the plate and lose the count , I'm signaling to my partner for help . If he gives me the old shrug of the shoulders , we WILL have a talk after the game !

so you're saying you're going to be upset with your partner because YOU lost the count? okey-dokey. I'd tell you to "pack sand." That's a good phrase MST.

Thanks! (I think)

After which the player thinks "What a clown. The umpire doesn't even know the count. What ELSE is he not paying attention to?"

who gives a rip what they think?

If I loose the count behind the plate , passed ball , hit in the mask , etc . I'm looking to my partner for help . It's called backing up your partner . If you don't feel the need to keep the count on the bases , I'm calling that sloppy and lazy .

I have never once seen a post on here saying that those who don't carry are stupid/lazy/incompetent/bush/amateurish. I've seen plenty the other way.

gorilla just broke that streak

I always ask my partners to keep the count. So I expect them to have an indicator, or I lend them one of mine.

I go over in pre game meeting with them that if I place my hand on my head and wiggle my fingers I need for them to flash me their count.

When there is a play at the plate on a passed ball, or even straight steal, I have (OPENLY ADMITTING)missed a click on the indicator.

So I like to confirm what I have with someone other than the guy counting pitches.

If both of us have the same count, greeat, if not it is what I say it is, and we move on!!

If both of us have the same count, greeat, if not it is what I say it is, and we move on!!

Just curious -- would you ever go to the scorekeeper if you and the BU had different counts? (I believe once when I was keeping score for my son's team an umpire (solo) asked if I could confirm.)

Just curious -- would you ever go to the scorekeeper if you and the BU had different counts? (I believe once when I was keeping score for my son's team an umpire (solo) asked if I could confirm.)

No, I would not.

No

No

I've now worked with two plate umpires that didn't use indicators. One was good about never losing the count, the other not so much. I always keep it when I'm on the bases, as if I keep it in my head I know I'll forget and I'm often asked counts by base runners and fielders.