Plate Ump has the wrong count...

stl_ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4333 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I"m in the field and I've got 3-2 and the PU awards first on what he thinks is ball 4. I'm 95% sure it's only ball 3 but this guy is pretty good and knows what he is doing and nothing is coming from either dugout. (though as BR is heading to fisrt I hear just a little murmmering going on) and we are off to the next batter.

Should I say something or wait until my partner asks? Kind of like when he would go to me for a check swing.

You don't have an indicator on the bases do you?

Not this again....an indicator or not is completely ancillary to the issue at hand of whether to step in when disagreeing with the count. It's just a tool, dependent on how the user uses it. Alabama says don't carry, Ohio says carry, others choose as they wish. Neither is intrinsically correct.

Me and my partner disagree on carrying an indicator. I like being able to answer a coach or player if he ask the count or number of outs. Yes i know its simple to keep the number of outs, but college was really hard on my brain cells.

I"m in the field and I've got 3-2 and the PU awards first on what he thinks is ball 4. I'm 95% sure it's only ball 3 but this guy is pretty good and knows what he is doing and nothing is coming from either dugout. (though as BR is heading to fisrt I hear just a little murmmering going on) and we are off to the next batter.

Should I say something or wait until my partner asks? Kind of like when he would go to me for a check swing.

wait but his asking might be as simple as looking at you with a quizzical look on his face. In that case hold three fingers on your left hand in front of and against your chest to tell him what you had. Wait for him to react or not.

Thats how you do it, if you have the count. I usually try to keep it in my head, but it's not mine, I have other primaries.

Not to start this war again but between balls in play what other primaries do you have that the PU doesn't also have? Carry an indicator or not, I don't care, but there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't track the count.

Thats how you do it, if you have the count. I usually try to keep it in my head, but it's not mine, I have other primaries.

track the count

Track it - yes

Keep it - no, not to the extent it becomes a responsibility.

NOW HEAR THIS!!! I DO NOT KEEP AN INDICATOR ON THE BASES. IF YOU WANT TO, FINE. NO INTEREST IN DISCUSSING REASONING ANY FURTHER. THE TOPIC IS DEAD. THAT IS ALL!!!

• Like 1

I just don't understand why the BU feels they bear no responsibility for the count. For most of us there are two umpires out there, why not help your partner if possible. It is a simple thing to do that can possibly short circuit a mess. Maybe that makes me old school, just old, a smitty, call it what you will but I have heard guys say they have no interest in even trying to keep the count. It is an old tired argument but I will continue to carry my indicator and know the friggin' count.

• Like 3

Thanks! (I think)

I didn't know using an indicator on the field was such a big discussion point.

some areas (Alabama) expressly FORBID the BU using indicator. Others allow it. Most guys I've met from other states do not. that's baseball. In softball, it's accepted as standard practice here. Again, do what you do. I'm ORDERED not to, so I never have.

Thanks! (I think)

I didn't know using an indicator on the field was such a big discussion point.

some areas (Alabama) expressly FORBID the BU using indicator. Others allow it. Most guys I've met from other states do not. that's baseball. In softball, it's accepted as standard practice here. Again, do what you do. I'm ORDERED not to, so I never have.

Interesting... Any particular reason behind the prohibition?

It is such a meaningless discussion, which is why I have never gotten involved before. You can through an entire game on the bases with an indicator and have the same exact game occur that would have occured without it and vice versa.

Since I've stated my belief on it, I figure I should say what I personally do. YES I have it on me on the bases, but it is in my pocket when I move the dials and will only comes out two times: between innings when I clear it and anytime my partner comes to me for help.

Same reason you don't wear ball bags on the bases, I suppose. Unprofessional? I never asked why.

Because the umpire on the bases might also have it wrong and way too many spend too much time looking at it to change it or especially to reset it.

It's a value judgement but they thought it better to just disallow it rather than to try to train them to use it correctly. I respect that others might come to a different conclusion.

Same reason you don't wear ball bags on the bases, I suppose. Unprofessional? I never asked why.

What a crock!

Wearing a ball bag on the bases serves no functional or logical purpose. It has nothing to do with professionalism. There are both functional & logical reasons for carrying & using an indicator on the bases.

Professionalism is not measured by the level of ball that you work, but rather that you are paid & are required to maintain an established standard. That standard is generally set by our local, state or national organizations.

Your state has a different standard than other states. That does not make one more "professional" than another.

• Like 1

What a crock!

Wearing a ball bag on the bases serves no functional or logical purpose. It has nothing to do with professionalism. There are both functional & logical reasons for carrying & using an indicator on the bases.

Professionalism is not measured by the level of ball that you work, but rather that you are paid & are required to maintain an established standard. That standard is generally set by our local, state or national organizations.

Your state has a different standard than other states. That does not make one more "professional" than another.

I was kidding, relax. This is so trivial yet people get so enflamed. i don't give a rat's ass who does or doesn't. do whatever is accepted in your area. Maybe ask TPTB why this is such a hot button topic. I'm out.

When I wear my ball bags on the bases I keep a couple of sodas (maybe a beer depending on the ages) in one bag and a couple of snacks and a sandwich in the other bag.

So wearing them on the bases does come in handy!

• Like 1

When I wear my ball bags on the bases I keep a couple of sodas (maybe a beer depending on the ages) in one bag and a couple of snacks and a sandwich in the other bag.

So wearing them on the bases does come in handy!

put your indicator next to the cheetos