Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5817 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Looks in decent shape, but like you said it is navy. I am currently looking at a black coat from GD but if you can scoop it for $60, it might be worth a look.

Posted

Here's an eBay tip for y'all:

He would have sold this quickly for $100 if he had just put "umpire" in the title. I've sold several navy plate coats for over a C note, with no problem.

Also, he sold that Riddell too cheap. I got twice that for one several years ago. He didn't do his homework. Expect to see the Riddell back on eBay, and it sell for upwards of four bills.

Posted

Why is the Riddell so expensive? Is there something special about it?

First, and foremost is the cool factor. Several MLB umpires wear them.

Next is the rarity. There's not a lot of them out there, as Wilson and/or Joe West sued them for patent infringement.

Lastly, they're a combination of good protection and a slim profile.

So just like the Nike titanium masks, and the MLB poly wool slacks, you'll have to pay an extra bonus to own a Riddell.

Posted (edited)

First, and foremost is the cool factor. Several MLB umpires wear them.

Next is the rarity. There's not a lot of them out there, as Wilson and/or Joe West sued them for patent infringement.

Lastly, they're a combination of good protection and a slim profile.

So just like the Nike titanium masks, and the MLB poly wool slacks, you'll have to pay an extra bonus to own a Riddell.

Some of the MLB guys who wear one still have a little of the "power" lettering by the neck, but usually, you can spot the Riddell when you see a charcoal (darker than the Platinum and w/out the throat pad) CP without a big ugly "W" :agasp_:

SEE ATTACHED ........

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, ....but in the 'grand search for the CP holy grail' ...that's what I've discovered about how to spot them :clap:

Edited by Thunderheads
Posted

At a recent clinic I attended, I placed my 13" Douglas on top of a Riddel Power (size L) and the coverage was almost identical. Great protection, slim profile, no "extra bonus." :D

Posted

Welcome to the club, Nate.

Wearing the coat for the first time is quite the experience. Save it for a special game. But do practice drawing and refilling baseballs with it, as the pockets are a bit higher. Plus, put your gear on, and work into your stance. I work the scissors with the coat, just because it looks better than the box. (I know, I know. But it does).

Also practice running a bit with it loaded with baseballs. It's different. Make sure the button that closes it is sewn tight, and not frayed. I had one pop on me, and you're kinda stuck out there flappin' in the breeze. I doubled up the stitches on mine.

Work only when it's 65 degrees, or below, or it'll cook ya. Try a big navy Under Amour shirt over your c/p, for the sleek look. (Or red, if you feel daring. Light blue turtleneck if you want to return to the 70's for Retro Night).

Just be prepared for the "whoa!"s from the kids, and the "Wow!"s from the Moms. Chicks dig the coat, Nate.

Posted

Welcome to the club, Nate.

Wearing the coat for the first time is quite the experience. Save it for a special game. But do practice drawing and refilling baseballs with it, as the pockets are a bit higher. Plus, put your gear on, and work into your stance. I work the scissors with the coat, just because it looks better than the box. (I know, I know. But it does).

Also practice running a bit with it loaded with baseballs. It's different. Make sure the button that closes it is sewn tight, and not frayed. I had one pop on me, and you're kinda stuck out there flappin' in the breeze. I doubled up the stitches on mine.

Work only when it's 65 degrees, or below, or it'll cook ya. Try a big navy Under Amour shirt over your c/p, for the sleek look. (Or red, if you feel daring. Light blue turtleneck if you want to return to the 70's for Retro Night).

Just be prepared for the "whoa!"s from the kids, and the "Wow!"s from the Moms. Chicks dig the coat, Nate.

I actually already have a black coat, the blue goes well with the collection. :)

7527_144099119795_672749795_2508151_4016

Posted

Nate, is that you're home-made CP you put together?

I guess it's a modified WV Gold. I stripped the shoulder pads and side pads and made them less bulky and attached them back on. The shoulder pads are pads from an origional WV I got off ebay. It looks pretty sick with the plate coat.

Nate

Posted

I guess it's a modified WV Gold. I stripped the shoulder pads and side pads and made them less bulky and attached them back on. The shoulder pads are pads from an origional WV I got off ebay. It looks pretty sick with the plate coat.

Nate

sounds like we need a photo ??

marc

Posted

Of what the chest protector or the plate coat? That pic I posted is the CP and the coat... But I'll take one of the CP I guess, it's a really ugly sewing job I did. lol


×
×
  • Create New...