Time for a new mask

RichMSN
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4326 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Why is the Dyna-Lite mask so popular in MLB?

They're tough, and time proven.

They aren't that much heavier than others.

They're free.

Isn't the DynaLite .... chrome moliben? (sp?) YES, lots of guys do wear that one!

They are ugly though...the bars are so think, ...I know it's not heavy but it LOOKS heavy

I worked my first plate Saturday with the All Star System 7 with the Team Wendy pads. Pads are very comfortable -- a little bulkier than I'm used to around the mouth (I felt I was talking into them), but all in all, I liked it.

Partner afterwards told me it was a terrible mask. I asked why -- he said it had 21 walks in it (no kidding, 21 walks and about 5 HBP -- probably the worst pitching I've seen in years).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ok so I am in the same boat.....after years of great service my +POS singlebar (black frame and black doe skin pads) has taken one shot too many.....bent bar and cracked weld.....hate to see it go, its been great......but its time....

I've now used my new mask and my new helmet.

I love the look I get from the helmet, but I kept having the same problem I had when I bought the helmet years ago -- I sweat a lot and I found I was getting sweat on my sunglasses, especially when I bent over to brush off the plate. With a traditional mask, my hat catches all the sweat (which is why it feels like I'm buying new hats 3 times a season -- I probably buy at least 15 hats a year, considering I have 5 league hats I have to buy along with the blanks we use for high school baseball).

I'm not giving up on the bucket, as I truly like it, but I just wish I could deal better with the sweat. I won't wear a hat with it -- part of the reason I wanted to go with the bucket is that I got tired of destroying (and simply sweat staining) hats so quickly.

Once I took the sunglasses off, I really didn't have any problems. I just don't like squinting and I feel I see the baseball better when I'm wearing them.

Nothing's perfect, I guess.

All of a sudden I find myself with an abundance of masks. A dyna lite I have yet to use, old faithful All Star, and 2 others I forget what kind.

All of a sudden I find myself with an abundance of masks. A dyna lite I have yet to use, old faithful All Star, and 2 others I forget what kind.

You suck! lol

You suck! lol

:P Got 5 games tomorrow. At least 2 plates. Gonna try her out. I'll give you a full report. B)

Just getting to it. I weighed it on certified scales. 16.06 ounces with stock pads and harness. I took a foul off it and was fine. The lower stock pad sits just below bottom lip, and kinda feels like it's high. Definitely higher than my All-Star. The field of view was WIDE OPEN. You have to look to see the bars. I really like the ears being extended wide. Jorge Posada worked with Nike R&D, and since his ears..... Nevermind. The harness will need some fine tuning to get it sitting better, but I will play with adjusting it. Took me a few practices to get it off without screwing up my cap. All in all, it's comfortable, super light, great vision, and can take a lick. A+

I think I have a mild concussion. Combine that with my possibly broken thumb from 2 weeks ago, and it's not been a great May.

I ordered the All Star System 7 with the Team Wendy's pads. I used the 10% discount at Ump Attire I got by joining as a premium member here.

Thanks guys for the mention and Rich for the purchase.