Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5287 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

This is true! It's a great fit though I think it does make me look a bit like RoboCop. I'm ok with that and it gives me an excuse to tell a coach to "Drop it, creep."

Posted

This is true! It's a great fit though I think it does make me look a bit like RoboCop. I'm ok with that and it gives me an excuse to tell a coach to "Drop it, creep."

If you mess w/ the shoulder pads you can decrease that look. Take off the padding in the shoulder cap. Then, you'll see underneath, the connection (buckle strap) ... Loosen those slightly and your shoulder cap will drop just a bit. Do it to where you're comfy ...it'll help.

BTW ...Welpe ... today or tomorrow for mail! ;)

  • Like 1
Posted

Thanks for the tip, Jeff! I haven't had a chance to really mess with the fit too much except for the harness. I have my first games back tomorrow so I'll see what I can figure out tonight.

Hopefully that'll also make it a little easier to put my mask on. :)

No problem on the mail, thank you!

Posted

Thanks for the tip, Jeff! I haven't had a chance to really mess with the fit too much except for the harness. I have my first games back tomorrow so I'll see what I can figure out tonight.

Hopefully that'll also make it a little easier to put my mask on. :)

No problem on the mail, thank you!

It helps I think ....here's the normal size version of my avatar

Posted

You rock, Jeff. I loosened those plates and it made the protector fit even better. I still look like Robocop but it's not as extreme. I bet it will get better as I break it in.

Posted

Thunder or Welpe, have either of you guys worn a WV Gold as well? I am trying to figure out if I want the All Star or a new Gold (which I use now). I am looking for opinions from people that have worn both.

Posted

Thunder or Welpe, have either of you guys worn a WV Gold as well? I am trying to figure out if I want the All Star or a new Gold (which I use now). I am looking for opinions from people that have worn both.

Sorry bud, no, ....I started w/ a Champioin hardshell, then got a Douglas, then the All-Star

Posted

Thunder or Welpe, have either of you guys worn a WV Gold as well? I am trying to figure out if I want the All Star or a new Gold (which I use now). I am looking for opinions from people that have worn both.

I've worn all of those. Really you can't go wrong w/ the Gold. I tried the All-Star for 9 innings on Tuesday and it wasn't my favorite, though not bad. Douglas is #1 for me. I only use more armour (My Gold) based on the potential for pitching or...sigh, poor catching.

Posted

Thunder or Welpe, have either of you guys worn a WV Gold as well? I am trying to figure out if I want the All Star or a new Gold (which I use now). I am looking for opinions from people that have worn both.

BT:

I have worn all three (Douglas, All Star and WVG). IMO, the differences between a WVG and the All Star are:

  • The padding on the Gold is thicker and the plates are thinner. The All Star has thinner padding that is removable/cleanable and replaceable and the plates are interlocking to disperse the impact over a larger area. Becasue of the padding desing there is a cooling channel down the middle and the All Star is cooler (this does work). The All Star has a lower profile.
  • The All Star hangs over your shoulders and the Gold is held against the chest. While the All Star is slightly heavier the way it hangs makes the ounces unnoticed. The All Star will not slip due to the design and the Delta Flex harness.
  • Both CPs provide almost the same amount of coverage with the Gold having some extra plates on the wings whereas the All Star extends theirs on the bottom to make the coverage a little more on the bottom rib.
  • The All Star fits a little tighter at the neck.
  • The Wilson has T-hooks on the front and the All Star has plastic buckles on the side.
  • The All Star comes in two lengths (12"/15") and the WVG has two lengths also (10.75"/12")

Hope this helps.

  • Like 1
Posted

Thunder or Welpe, have either of you guys worn a WV Gold as well? I am trying to figure out if I want the All Star or a new Gold (which I use now). I am looking for opinions from people that have worn both.

BT:

I have worn all three (Douglas, All Star and WVG). IMO, the differences between a WVG and the All Star are:

  • The padding on the Gold is thicker and the plates are thinner. The All Star has thinner padding that is removable/cleanable and replaceable and the plates are interlocking to disperse the impact over a larger area. Becasue of the padding desing there is a cooling channel down the middle and the All Star is cooler (this does work). The All Star has a lower profile.
  • The All Star hangs over your shoulders and the Gold is held against the chest. While the All Star is slightly heavier the way it hangs makes the ounces unnoticed. The All Star will not slip due to the design and the Delta Flex harness.
  • Both CPs provide almost the same amount of coverage with the Gold having some extra plates on the wings whereas the All Star extends theirs on the bottom to make the coverage a little more on the bottom rib.
  • The All Star fits a little tighter at the neck.
  • The Wilson has T-hooks on the front and the All Star has plastic buckles on the side.
  • The All Star comes in two lengths (12"/15") and the WVG has two lengths also (10.75"/12")

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the review. Does the thinner padding on the AllStar affect the absorption of the hit? Like I said, I wear the Gold now and barely feel anything when it gets hit (I think it is more along the lines of I heard the hit and I mentally register that I should feel something). Im not overly worried about the weight, since it sounds like it isnt much of a problem due to how it sits on the body. And the cooling feature does not matter to me much since I live in the Pacific NW and have not had an issue with my Gold being to warm.

I am more curious about protection and which one is better?

Posted

You could take a Strasburg fastball fouled off by Prince Fielder in either one and be just fine...

Comfort, fit, and personal preference at this point.

+1 Good Post!

Posted

You could take a Strasburg fastball fouled off by Prince Fielder in either one and be just fine...

Comfort, fit, and personal preference at this point.

Darn it, this doesnt help me decide. LOL

Posted

In comparing the gold to the new all-star (I have both). The Allstar is cooler, I think I feel the hard shots a little more in the all-star. Neither hurt or left bruises, but I think the Wilson provides more padding and protection.

I love both. Currently I am using my All-star more.

They are both great. My Wilson was made better with the addition of a Delta-flex.

Can't go wrong just my two cents.

Posted

In comparing the gold to the new all-star (I have both). The Allstar is cooler, I think I feel the hard shots a little more in the all-star. Neither hurt or left bruises, but I think the Wilson provides more padding and protection.

I love both. Currently I am using my All-star more.

They are both great. My Wilson was made better with the addition of a Delta-flex.

Can't go wrong just my two cents.

Why are you using the System 7 more now than the Gold?

Posted

In comparing the gold to the new all-star (I have both). The Allstar is cooler, I think I feel the hard shots a little more in the all-star. Neither hurt or left bruises, but I think the Wilson provides more padding and protection.

I love both. Currently I am using my All-star more.

They are both great. My Wilson was made better with the addition of a Delta-flex.

Can't go wrong just my two cents.

Why are you using the System 7 more now than the Gold?

It's a personal preference, but probably because of the low profile and overall fit? But ...he'll probably answer to confirm

Posted

I just bought a all star 15" from ump-attire, it should be here by Wednesday for a plate game. What really sold me is the length issue, I took a bouncer right on my rib cage that was not protected by my Gold with the flex delta harness- it didn't hurt but it sure made me realize how vulnerable I am in that area.

Posted

I just bought a all star 15" from ump-attire, it should be here by Wednesday for a plate game. What really sold me is the length issue, I took a bouncer right on my rib cage that was not protected by my Gold with the flex delta harness- it didn't hurt but it sure made me realize how vulnerable I am in that area.

That's why I go longer T-Rav. If I was standing behind more experience F3s on a regular basis, fine,...but until then, ...I'll cover my ribs! :)

Posted

I just bought a all star 15" from ump-attire, it should be here by Wednesday for a plate game. What really sold me is the length issue, I took a bouncer right on my rib cage that was not protected by my Gold with the flex delta harness- it didn't hurt but it sure made me realize how vulnerable I am in that area.

That's why I go longer T-Rav. If I was standing behind more experience F3s on a regular basis, fine,...but until then, ...I'll cover my ribs! :)

Jeff, I do hope you are standing behind the F2s. If you are calling games behind the F3, you are out of position. :wow: :)
Posted

I just bought a all star 15" from ump-attire, it should be here by Wednesday for a plate game. What really sold me is the length issue, I took a bouncer right on my rib cage that was not protected by my Gold with the flex delta harness- it didn't hurt but it sure made me realize how vulnerable I am in that area.

That's why I go longer T-Rav. If I was standing behind more experience F3s on a regular basis, fine,...but until then, ...I'll cover my ribs! :)

Jeff, I do hope you are standing behind the F2s. If you are calling games behind the F3, you are out of position. :wow::)

OHHHH MAN!!!! :smachhead: :smachhead: :smachhead: Yes, thanks Steve, ..... F2!!!! :wave:

×
×
  • Create New...