Legion HS Ejection

semper_fi_72

Top of 2nd inning, 2 outs, no one on.

3 - 2 count on batter.

Pitch is over inside edge of plate at knees.

I bellow out my best Strike 3 and punch him out.

As batter walks out of batter box towards dugout, I hear:

"That was no F_ _ Kin strike"

Me: "#21 your gone". :notworthy:

Coach comes out calmly and asks what he said and I told him.

Coach tells him, get out of here, go sit on the curb and until the game is over and we are leaving.

Coach then tells me "It is Summer Ball and he can't keep his mouth shut".

Guess his parents didn't make the trip.

Wish I could see where #21 had to sit on the curb and wait while his team finished the game and won 5-2.

They traveled about 40 miles for the game.

I probably would have given him a "Thats enough!" before the EJ, but that is dependant on how loud he is, how much of a scene he makes and other things.

But I have no problem with the EJ either.

Really? The kid drops an F-bomb and you'll give him a warning? I would think in any "youth level" (including college) that sort of language, especially aimed at me, would be an automatic EJ, no? I'm asking a serious question, because I don't know what's typically accepted...

3 - 2 count on batter.

Me: "#21 your gone". :jerkit:

Coach tells him, get out of here, go sit on the curb and until the game is over and we are leaving.

Wish I could see where #21 had to sit on the curb and wait while his team finished the game and won 5-2.

Had that been my high school coach, sitting on the curb would have been a gift. In his words, I'd have been running "til I puked my guts out". ;)

Times have changed, obviously.

Legion = Big Boys. If it's only me the batter and the catcher that hear, I'll let him off with a "that's enough" Anything more like yelling and/or making a scene, gone.

EXACTLY.

Was on the dish for an under 18 game last night. Twice I had players swing at pitches that were clearly balls and make contact with them. Easy out for the D. They were both pissed at them self and said F*#K. It was only myself and the catcher that could hear it.

I spoke with their HC and advised him of their need to curtail the language and if it was any louder they would have been done. He was appreciative.

Bottom line-for me. If it's profanity loud enough for the crowd to hear, then deal with it. If not, it's like a tree falling in the woods with no one around to hear the sound.

Legion = Big Boys. If it's only me the batter and the catcher that hear, I'll let him off with a "that's enough" Anything more like yelling and/or making a scene, gone.

I find myself more in Warren's camp. Yeah, they're still kids, but they're "adult kids".

I'd just say, "Sure as F**K was, didn't you hear me?" :jerkit:

JM

Saying to you is very very different when said in self abuse. Under 18 they are kids, they don't think so but they are. They are young men until something happens then they are kids. Legion is no different than HS and Iwouldn't allow it in HS.

With men's league if it's close then we will have a discussion, loud enough to heard by others then he goes.

I find myself more in Warren's camp. Yeah, they're still kids, but they're "adult kids".

I'd just say, "Sure as F**K was, didn't you hear me?" :WTF

JM

I wish I could say this just once........:WTF

I am pretty sure tha nothing today will make me laugh more than the thought of this. Right out of "Bad News Bears".

Saying to you is very very different when said in self abuse. Under 18 they are kids, they don't think so but they are. They are young men until something happens then they are kids. Legion is no different than HS and Iwouldn't allow it in HS.

With men's league if it's close then we will have a discussion, loud enough to heard by others then he goes.

Legion is no different than HS.

The only difference is that they are mostly Freshman and sophomores trying to make either the JV of Varsity Squad next year.

Under 18 the F Bomb directed at me, no matter who heard it, is Automatic EJ. :nod:

In this situation, I'm also giving a warning (since the remark was directed at my call not me personally). If the remark is personal, then I give the heave-ho.

But, saying that, if the remark is loud enough for the fans to hear, an ejection is probably warranted.

A little off topic...assignor moved me to work the plate in a 12u playoff game for a league I have never worked, saying some of the parents/coaches are a little abusive and wanted me to work the game (compliment, I guess). Early in the game R2 is sent home on a base hit and is out by a mile for 3rd out. As coach is walking back to dugout, one of his players voices his displeasure with the coaches decision to send R2. Coach says nothing about it. Same player comes into pitch later in the game and throws four pitches over F2's head and is promptly removed by same coach and moved to 2b. As new pitcher warms up, coach is standing next to F1 and I see he starts to have a discussion with his just removed second baseman, in hearing distance of BU. While F1 is completing his warm up pitches, BU yells "time!" I am thinking WTF :HS as BU has a talk with the coach and second baseman. Coach eventually goes to dugout and the game ends an inning later. Post game I ask BU what the time out/conversation was all about and he told me when the coach pulled the previous F1 (same kid jawing at his coach for sending the runner) he told the coach to "F-OFF." When I asked him why the kid stayed in the game, he said the f bomb was directed at the coach, not the BU. Hard for me to believe (as a coach) the coach would allow that, but even harder to believe my BU allowed it.

On a side note - when BU called time (while time was already obviously out), being that it was a little strange, should I have walked out to find out what was going on?

A little off topic...assignor moved me to work the plate in a 12u playoff game for a league I have never worked, saying some of the parents/coaches are a little abusive and wanted me to work the game (compliment, I guess). Early in the game R2 is sent home on a base hit and is out by a mile for 3rd out. As coach is walking back to dugout, one of his players voices his displeasure with the coaches decision to send R2. Coach says nothing about it. Same player comes into pitch later in the game and throws four pitches over F2's head and is promptly removed by same coach and moved to 2b. As new pitcher warms up, coach is standing next to F1 and I see he starts to have a discussion with his just removed second baseman, in hearing distance of BU. While F1 is completing his warm up pitches, BU yells "time!" I am thinking WTF :D as BU has a talk with the coach and second baseman. Coach eventually goes to dugout and the game ends an inning later. Post game I ask BU what the time out/conversation was all about and he told me when the coach pulled the previous F1 (same kid jawing at his coach for sending the runner) he told the coach to "F-OFF." When I asked him why the kid stayed in the game, he said the f bomb was directed at the coach, not the BU. Hard for me to believe (as a coach) the coach would allow that, but even harder to believe my BU allowed it.

On a side note - when BU called time (while time was already obviously out), being that it was a little strange, should I have walked out to find out what was going on?

probably 99 times out of 100, I'm going to let coaches deal with internal discipline problems. Swearing at a coach, teammate, fighting amongst team members etc they can take care of that.

Some may disagree.

probably 99 times out of 100, I'm going to let coaches deal with internal discipline problems. Swearing at a coach, teammate, fighting amongst team members etc they can take care of that.

Some may disagree.

Actually, I agree with you...its his team, let him deal with it - such as his helmet throwing in the dugout following a ground out earlier in the game, or his jawing at the coach for sending the kid from third. But (my opinion only) the kid needed to go after the f-bomb directed at and heard by his adult coach, in front of teammates, the opposing team and another umpire - plus he is 12.

Had the pleasure of doing my first Mens Fast Pitch Softball game. Ages of players ranged from 20 to 65. Local league with about 8 teams. You would think they're out there for fun. I do lots of ASA and everthing the same but the ball compression so calling game is no different other than the big babies they are. I could have EJ about 6 of them. Language, attitude, not getting a pitch they wanted. I would have started tossing, but only manager would be left. I'll take the kids any day.

Semper Fi- That comment wasn't directed at you he just said that was no F###in strike. That ejection though is a personal decision. I would have just advised him that "that's enough.

So let me see if I got this right.

I am behind the plate.

I am the one that called the strike.

The Batter says "That was no F**kin Strike.

Who was it directed at?

The opposing catcher or pitcher?

If they are 18U, they do not drop the F Bomb.

Zero tolerance in HS.

If he had just said "That was not a strike" it would not have even got a response from me.

Two things: NEVER repeat what was said. Especially if it includes profanity. Just say, "Balls & strikes and profanity, coach."

And, if the kid's off the premises, who's responsible for him? He needs to stay with his team and keep his mouth shut. I tossed a kid one time for malicious contact, and rather than be banished, he became the most contrite, polite and helpful batboy/ballboy I ever had.

Say the same thing without the F-bomb: Warning

Say that with an F-bomb: Dumped ... period!

And I have a long leash, and use the warning tool first as often as I can justify it, but when that F-bomb is used directly at me or anyone else but himself, he goes.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

Two things: NEVER repeat what was said. Especially if it includes profanity. Just say, "Balls & strikes and profanity, coach."

And, if the kid's off the premises, who's responsible for him? He needs to stay with his team and keep his mouth shut. I tossed a kid one time for malicious contact, and rather than be banished, he became the most contrite, polite and helpful batboy/ballboy I ever had.

Say the same thing without the F-bomb: Warning

Say that with an F-bomb: Dumped ... period!

And I have a long leash, and use the warning tool first as often as I can justify it, but when that F-bomb is used directly at me or anyone else but himself, he goes.

Good post!

3 - 2 count on batter.

Me: "#21 your gone".

Other then a player committing a malicous act upon another IMO, there is NO automatic EJ.

What I mean by that is we ALL have our own threshholds and game management techniques in dealing with situations.

In addition to what Warren said "That's enough" I have also said to a coach "Skip do we have a substitution"? meaning I heard the F Bomb BUT give me a sub or the player is done for the day. It saves a one game suspension and I have had success with this approach.

There is also an unpopular tool now-a-days called "sending a message" to the player. In this instance the batter was already out BUT come his next time up he better be swinging if you know what I mean.

My main point is: When it comes to EJ's other then a player maliciously contacting another, there is NO automatic EJ. That is left up to each official.

That's why we do not get into "our partners business" meaning EJ for him. Allow your partner to handle the situation "his" way UNLESS it gets REAL REAL ugly.

I have no problem with what you did as that is your style but there are other ways to deal with the situation and those other ways are not right or wrong it's just a matter of style.

Pete Booth