Found this on YouTube

Chris Hickman
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4340 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm sure glad there's no video of me working my first few years of Little League.

It seems to me to be a lack of training. Some people simply lack interpersonal skills that can make them effective communicators which I think can exacerbate the issue. I have a hard time faulting somebody being a Smitty that knows no different.

The problem is this guy is in the stage of knowledge where he doesnt know what he doesn't know. He thinks he knows everything and maybe eventually he will pick up a book that shows him what umpiring really is. When I started my first few months I didn't know that there were mechanics so I certainly didn't know what good mechanics were. He also seems like he may be slow/have social issues. He does seem clueless about the rules which is also a problem.

I'm sure glad there's no video of me working my first few years of Little League.

It seems to me to be a lack of training. Some people simply lack interpersonal skills that can make them effective communicators which I think can exacerbate the issue. I have a hard time faulting somebody being a Smitty that knows no different.

I agree that with no training it is hard to know what you don't know. The problem is somebody thought it was good enough to film it and post it. The argument at the plate on the slide rule is a perfect example of why these rules are stupid. You take a bad rule with 1000 holes in it, add two managers that don't understand it and an umpire that doesn't either and it's a mess. At the end he says he knows he called it correctly, which is interesting because he was all over the place before he settled on an answer. HTH does he know if he got it right? This also wasn't LL because they had ondeck batters, and some other oddities that were illegal.

I agree that with no training it is hard to know what you don't know. The problem is somebody thought it was good enough to film it and post it. The argument at the plate on the slide rule is a perfect example of why these rules are stupid. You take a bad rule with 1000 holes in it, add two managers that don't understand it and an umpire that doesn't either and it's a mess. At the end he says he knows he called it correctly, which is interesting because he was all over the place before he settled on an answer. HTH does he know if he got it right? This also wasn't LL because they had ondeck batters, and some other oddities that were illegal.

Around 7:20 after the play at home and ensuing argument, he says in the interview "I could have thrown him out right there....because he interrupted my game...know what I mean?"

This is comical, but this guy has some issues.