Ump Videos

UmpJM
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5088 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Guys,

I had seen the new "video" categories Warren created, and thought it was a great idea.

Since nobody else wanted to go first, I thought I'd post one just to "get this party started". I went to post it in the new section and it was "closed", so I'm posting it here instead. I figure Warren can move it if there was some glitch or "user error" (as in me).

Anyway, feel free to have at it.

The video is from the summer of 2008 which was my 2nd year umpiring. It's a 14U Travel game played on an 80' diamond, and I'm working solo. (As is the custom & practice around here for this level game.)

Feel free to "have at it" with any commentary, critique, constructive criticism, bitingly sarcastic ridicule, praise, etc.

I look forward to your comments and hope it is useful for the members of the forum.

th_UmpJM14UTNP082008.jpg

JM

Edited by UmpJM

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear God you call that umpiring! Actually, all in all it looks pretty good. Your stance looks good, can't tell how your slot is, angle is wrong. Call your balls though. The rest is not much to say because you are working one man. I would try to make sure you get set when you come out in the working area. Lastly, be more authoritative with your out calls. Snap the the hammer and bring a little more vocal.

Overall you look pretty good, especially if you are as new as you say. Keep it up.

Dear God you call that umpiring! Actually, all in all it looks pretty good. Your stance looks good, can't tell how your slot is, angle is wrong. Call your balls though. The rest is not much to say because you are working one man. I would try to make sure you get set when you come out in the working area. Lastly, be more authoritative with your out calls. Snap the the hammer and bring a little more vocal.

Overall you look pretty good, especially if you are as new as you say. Keep it up.

I agree be more vocal otherwise a outstanding job 1 man is tough in fact I have never done 2 man crew

This is the first time that I have even seen 1 man mechanics on vid, would like to try it once. Seems that quite a many of you have to use it at the youth level.

Why wish that on yourself? LOL!

Actually, it's sometimes better to do 1 man than to have daddy from the stand.

Back to the video - Stance looked good, Mechanics looked good, verbalization could have been louder, but it could just be that the camera didn't pick them up.

Kids were hitting anything that wasn't a ball, so didn't have an opportunity to see your strike mechanics.

Wondering what the pointing off to F5 area while you were coming out into the working area (3rd batter) was all about. Couldn't hear what you were saying - and being 2 years ago - you might not even remember :cheers:

Final note - I hope you've since invested in a throat guard.

First UmpJM you look sharp back there. Nice clean well maintained uniform. Good Job.

Also good job getting out from behind the plate. I know 1 man mechanics are sometimes a pain and too many guys just park behind the plate. You used appropriate hustle. For the NBD plays you were a little more relaxed and for the final play you had more pep in your step.

Your head height looks good. I cant judge your position in the slot that well but your setup looks good.

In this brief clip the only area I would mention for improvement is even solo be set for your calls. It appeared you were making your calls on the move.

Jood Job.

On a side note it said the video forums were locked. I will check that out..

The private forums are locked, but you can still open them and post a new thread. I'll look into this today/tonight.

Thanks for the clip.

Your Horrible!!! That last Batter was Safe at first! Are you blind??? :D

Just Kidding. Looked good! Like others mentioned seems like you made your calls while moving.

Good Job!

2nd year? Good job JM!

Your appearance is very good.

I'm not experienced at 1-man stuff, but I thought you came out into your working area good enough. I like the way you hustled out a little more on the last play. As UIC said, you could probably stop and set yourself a little sooner, but I also know you have to get the proper angle. I thought you stopped a little better on the last call.

As was previously mentioned, it's too bad there was a strike call for us to witness.

I enjoyed watching this video. Keep 'em coming!

Wondering what the pointing off to F5 area while you were coming out into the working area (3rd batter) was all about. Couldn't hear what you were saying - and being 2 years ago - you might not even remember :D

If that point was for a fair ball, I'm glad you couldn't hear what he was saying!

Wondering what the pointing off to F5 area while you were coming out into the working area (3rd batter) was all about.

It seems pretty clear to me that he was pointing a fair ball hit to F5.

On the first batter, there's a point to first and then the out call. Why? (probably something not evident on the video)

I think more hustle could have been used on the second batter (but the specific play might dictate otherwise).

Be more relaxed before the pitch. You get into the "legs spread" position before F2 gives the signs. You can step into this position as he gives the sign and then drop down as F1 starts his motion.

Why would you point at a ball hit to F5? I've never seen pointing at the ball used as a "fair" mechanic - I've been taught and have always seen left or right perpendicular to the 1B or 3B lines respectively.

If that point was for a fair ball, I'm glad you couldn't hear what he was saying!

I wouldn't think it had anything to do with fair/foul - ball hit to left side of infield, if it was on the line, the point would be toward RF. It looked like he was saying something (and it didn't look like he was calling "FAIR" lol), so there was something going on outside the camera view that he felt the need to point at - I'm mostly curious what it was, and since the purpose of this exercise is to evaluate mechanics, knowing what was going on/reason for the point, will help evaluate if that was the proper mechanic for the situation.

Wondering what the pointing off to F5 area while you were coming out into the working area (3rd batter) was all about. Couldn't hear what you were saying - and being 2 years ago - you might not even remember :D

cato, ....ball hit down the line, ...he's pointing fair ....you better not have heard him saying anything :TD:

PLUS, other posts were being added, .....he's working alone ...trying to be as thorough as possible, and the angle on the vid isnt' great, so , he's probably pointing where he should, it just looks funny

Edited by Thunderheads

he's probably pointing where he should, it just looks funny

could be. just looks like he's pointing straight at vicinity of F5, which looks real funny if indicating fair. It also looks like he's saying something - which has me wondering if there was something else going on like maybe there had been an R2 and he was pointing and saying "That's interference" or something. After pointing, there was a short delay before the ball was thrown and he turned with the ball to get the our at 1B. I'm curious to find out what was happening outside the camera view, or simply to find out if he was indeed indicating fair.

Edited by catoblue

Gentleman,

Appreciate the comments. A few things that came up that I wanted to respond to.

2008, 2nd year ? With your rules knowledge I thought you had been doing it alot longer. That's great.:notworthy:

carolinablue,

I coached for about 13 years before I started umpiring. About 5 years into it I realized I didn't know "jack" about the rules. So I started studying them - diligently. So, I had a pretty decent grasp of the rules before I ever stepped on the field to umpire a game.

I agree be more vocal otherwise a outstanding job 1 man is tough in fact I have never done 2 man crew

Concur with the "more vocal" comment made by you and others. Not sure if I was really that "quiet" or the camera just wasn't picking it up very well. (The video was shot with a pocket digital still camera with video capability & the built-in mic isn't very good.)

Wondering what the pointing off to F5 area while you were coming out into the working area (3rd batter) was all about. Couldn't hear what you were saying - and being 2 years ago - you might not even remember :)

Final note - I hope you've since invested in a throat guard.

cato,

It was a ground ball up the 3B line and I pointed it fair when F5 touched it. I don't believe I said anything. Look to me like I'm running right up the (inside of) the 3B line and pointing directly to my right when the ball is touched. Maybe it's the camera angle that makes it look odd to you.

I still do not wear a "dangler" on my mask.

On the first batter, there's a point to first and then the out call. Why? (probably something not evident on the video)

I think more hustle could have been used on the second batter (but the specific play might dictate otherwise).

Be more relaxed before the pitch. You get into the "legs spread" position before F2 gives the signs. You can step into this position as he gives the sign and then drop down as F1 starts his motion.

noumpere,

I have no idea why I pointed at 1B before calling the out. Newbie mechanics???? Nowadays, I will "point" at a play at first under two conditions:

1. The F3 comes off the bag and tags the runner. (That's a tag! He's out!)

2. The F3 came off the bag immediately after receiving the ball and there might be some question whether he kept the bag. (He kept the bag! That's an out!)

I'm pretty sure neither of these happened on this play.

On the second batter, I thought I looked a little "lethargic" as well. I believe this was a soft liner to the F4 which was caught & I probably felt I had the angle I needed.

In terms of setting for the pitch, I was taught to get my feet in position when the pitcher gets on the rubber (On the rubber - set - call it) and then drop into my stance when the pitcher initiates his delivery. So that's what I try to do, more or less. Actually, I wait until the battery and the batter are reasonably set before I "step in".

After reviewing the video, it dawned on me that this was a complete half-inning in 1:37. Wish they could all be like that.

Thanks again for all the comments.

JM

P.S. Warren, I'm pretty sure it was my stupidity that prevented me from posting this in the Video category and that there's really nothing wrong with the setup. Feel free to move it there if you like.

My only comment, and this may be just a "Canadian thing" (I got dinged on this ridiculously this past weeked) is that you look too tight.

In other words, make it look like you're having fun. In that video, it looks like someone had shoved a pinecone up your behind, as one evaluator put it to me last weekend.

My only comment, and this may be just a "Canadian thing" (I got dinged on this ridiculously this past weeked) is that you look too tight.

In other words, make it look like you're having fun. In that video, it looks like someone had shoved a pinecone up your behind, as one evaluator put it to me last weekend.

Or a bunch of maple leaves?

JM,

I haven't been able to view the video here in Ass-crack-istan due to internet bandwidth issues but my hats off to you for going first. I don't have any actual video of myself working, other than cage at Tony Thompson's camp, but would have loved to have seen some in my first and second years. Like you I coached for a long time (18 years) and was a rules junkie. I bought the rule books, studied them and argued with umpires who did not know them. Never got tossed but I made my points. I decided to join the ruling class from a position of actually knowing the rules. Something unusual for where I was coaching-an umpire who KNEW the rules and the reasons for them. Summer tournaments were the worst. Now, or at least the last three or four years, I helped my partners and other umpire friends to fully understand and apply the rules. It is hard work but well worth it. I know you are a great umpire! Thanks for sharing.

After reviewing the video, it dawned on me that this was a complete half-inning in 1:37. Wish they could all be like that.

I noticed it was short. Didn't realize it was that short. With that pace, you could get in 6 in 30 minutes. Keep 'em swinging.

JM - First of all , I want to commend you for going first. If I had any friends :nod: I'd love to have one of them get some video of me so I could post it. Hell, I'd just love to see it! Worked w/a great partner last night who gave me a very honest & useful critique in our post-game; got some good advice which I will put into effect in tomorrow's DH.

The one thing I would say, relates to this:

In terms of setting for the pitch, I was taught to get my feet in position when the pitcher gets on the rubber (On the rubber - set - call it) and then drop into my stance when the pitcher initiates his delivery. So that's what I try to do, more or less. Actually, I wait until the battery and the batter are reasonably set before I "step in".

It looks like you're not getting 'aggressively' into the slot. That is, on at least a couple of those pitches, you set your trail foot and then moved your slot foot. I've been taught to do it the other way around. Set your slot foot (RH batter, it's your left foot) first and then set your trail foot. That gets you into the slot in exactly the same manner every time and looks very crisp.

It looks like you're not getting 'aggressively' into the slot. That is, on at least a couple of those pitches, you set your trail foot and then moved your slot foot. I've been taught to do it the other way around. Set your slot foot (RH batter, it's your left foot) first and then set your trail foot. That gets you into the slot in exactly the same manner every time and looks very crisp.

I was trained the other way. Get your right foot in line with the point of the plate, then set your left foot. There are times I have to adjust after getting the left foot in, due to the catcher or overall comfort.