Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5386 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I saw a thread in another area about a company who produces videos and the problems with receiving items purchased. More and more clinics and camps pop up all over the place (mine being one of those B) ). I wonder how many people do these things to really help umpires or to just put some $$$ in their pocket. I've seen products, publications, videos, websites, etc. that have offered training & education for a price and the vast majority seem to fail for one reason or another. All of this has me curious what umpire across the country think of training and education?

What do you look for in a clinic or a training product?

Do you like going to clinics that offer games/innings or would you rather attend a clinic that teaches and simulates plays instead of having live games?

What topics do you like to hear discussed?

What do you think clinics spend too much time on vs. not enough time?

What would be your ideal clinic?

Technology has improved tremendously over the last 10-15 years. What would you like to see in the line of education utilizing all of the new technology available?

Obviously I run a clinic and might implement some of your feedback, but I'm seriously just curious how umpires go about deciding how they spend their hard earned money.

Thanks!

Posted

I think a lot of it is credibility. Even the NCAA brings in Evans from time to time.

Teaching the proper mechanics is paramount. But for me, my dollar is best spent at a clinic, but when that doesn't always work, then I find what I can in terms of a publication that is credible. Truth be told, I have learned a lot on here for free.

Posted

I love clinics but I hate simulated plays. It's like I start guessing at what they want me to do. I rather see a real play and react to it accordingly.

(null)

  • Like 2
Posted

Truth be told, I have learned a lot on here for free.

There is a premium membership option. ;)

Posted

I think both are important. In a clinic setting you need reps for the instruction to take. You just can't get that during live play. However, you can also get drill syndrome, live ball gets you to apply it in practical situations. The downside with live ball is you may work a couple of innings and nothing happen on the bases.

Posted

I love clinics but I hate simulated plays. It's like I start guessing at what they want me to do. I rather see a real play and react to it accordingly.

(null)

How can you see everything that you might see in a game if you don't see simulated plays?

I've tried to see a batter interference on a suicide squeeze play for the last ten years, I went to the Florida Classic and I saw it and got to call it by my third or fourth day there. Had Jim not set up that scenario, I probably still would be reading about it in my interpretation manuals. I guess I disagree, I'm a big fan of simulated plays that are properly instructed...although I admit I fall victim to "drill syndrome" quite often.

Posted

Both are very important, in my opinion, but if you aren't going to have live ball then you have to set up the situation carefully. You need to work on multiple mechanics and then set it up to test them at random. That way the umpires have to think about all the possibilties instead just one.

I haven't ordered much in the way of online media, a few but not many. If I am going to order something it needs to be by somebody that I reconize, somebody that is in the game, MiLB or MLB, or a respected NCAA umpire, Jon Bible or equivelant. Too many yahoos out there saying they know all about it and doesn't have a clue.

Posted

I think a lot of it is credibility. Even the NCAA brings in Evans from time to time.

Teaching the proper mechanics is paramount. But for me, my dollar is best spent at a clinic, but when that doesn't always work, then I find what I can in terms of a publication that is credible. Truth be told, I have learned a lot on here for free.

The NcAA its self doesn't bring him in... the CBUA does.

Posted

I like drills... just cause I can see it and learn how to call it properly, just like at Umpire School.. you see it call it.. and then when it happens in real life, you call it like nothing...yes Live ball is good, cause you can see the and react to the play. And that is a good way to see if a Umpire has instincts...If you run the drill field right, you can work it and not have an idea what is gonna happen, for the most part.

Posted

I think a lot of it is credibility. Even the NCAA brings in Evans from time to time.

Teaching the proper mechanics is paramount. But for me, my dollar is best spent at a clinic, but when that doesn't always work, then I find what I can in terms of a publication that is credible. Truth be told, I have learned a lot on here for free.

The NcAA its self doesn't bring him in... the CBUA does.

You're right. My point was that credibility counts for a lot. If I say it, it's one thing, when guys hear the exact same thing from Evans, its much more credible. That's our reality.

Posted

I like situational play as well as live ball. But I think for me situational play with real players/runners and not just instructors/students running the bases is the best. If you have a real baseball team that has been told what to do and when then set up the situations, and like MS stated earlier set up multiple situations you can still learn a lot. You have the coach tell his runner to miss 1st base on the double. Then hit a fungo and see how guys react. To me its the best of both worlds. This is of course supplemental to the normal drills and cage work. As for the credibility part I agree. You need instructors that are respected. Otherwise guys just tune them out and make excuses in their own minds. Does it make the information any less valid NO. But guys still have a tendency to listen more when they perceive credibility.

Just my $0.02

  • Like 1
Posted

I didn't say I wouldn't do simulations. I just said I don't like them. I know they are a valuable tool.

(null)

Posted

Sit back and get comfortable this is going to be a long one. I love going to camps and clinics and go to 1-2 a year outside of the ones my associations offer.

  1. I'm torn between 2 things for the most important so I'll call them 1.a & 1.b alphabetically versus level of importance
    A. Instructors - Instructors make or break any clinic or camp whether they are current/former MLB guys or experienced HS guys. The instructors need to not only knowledgeable but passionate. They also have to have the proper personality and try to make a connection to the participants. I've been to camps where after 4 days the instructors still didn't know my name. Some instructors have seemed like they are only there for a bay check, But the best are the ones that really want to share their passion and love for umpiring. They need to be approachable yet able to wrangle in participants "what if" questions and otherwise "ignorant" questions and comments for the benefit of the group.

    B. Organization - Nothing is worse than participants hanging around waiting on the camp to get set, or figure out what is going to be next, or when instructors are noticeably stalling out time. Sessions should be planned and organized to where the participants are never waiting unnecessarily. An itinerary should be developed and strictly held to. Also have a contingency plan. I was so incredibly impressed when I went to a camp and we got some rain, but the disruption to the camp was minimal.
  2. Technology - I want to see a camp using appropriate technology. This would include video equipment (digital) so you can see for yourself what you are/are not doing but also have this footage readily available for participants to view and ask questions with instructors viewing with you. I also like to see real game footage used for discussion. Also at least have a halfway decent PowerPoint or Flash presentation which is up to date. It really bothers me to see an out of date presentation.
  3. Drills - I like both structured drills and live games. Structured drills give some repetition and give you some experience in a training environment and the opportunity to learn the drill and get the feedback you need to improve. I do also like live games, because of the in predictability which comes from live situations, but I also remember feeling disappointed in a camp where they used live games and absolutely nothing out of the ordinary would happen in my couple of innings at the given position.
  4. Topics - I want both rules and and mechanics, but I want to get into the why's and the history of the rule or mechanics to help me be better able to understand what is going on. I feel these will help me better apply the rule or mechanic.

Other things:

I feel camps and clinics spend too much time on war-stories. Yes they are cool and I think people want to hear them, but they should be scheduled as not to take away from instructional time.

While I understand the need to be nice to the participants I also think there is a point where instructors need to shut down those students who ask dumb questions, or want to tell their story about every item which is discussed.

This may be asking too much because people may get their feelings hurt; but I'd like to see more camps and clinics where the registration is limited to those who are at certain experience levels or at least make groups based on ability. Beginners can build their fundamentals and more advanced umpires learn more advanced techniques and get more individualized training. I think people would welcome this if it were announced ahead of time stating something like on the first day abilities will be assessed and participants will be grouped based on ability giving each participant more individualized training.

That's it for now.

  • Like 2
Posted

This isn't really a clinic Idea but one for training. I would like to see umpire manuals and rule books in e book form. I think it would be such an advantage to have all the books you need in a e reader or tablet. You would be able to search and highlight key parts quickly and make learning so much easier.

  • Like 1
Posted

This isn't really a clinic Idea but one for training. I would like to see umpire manuals and rule books in e book form. I think it would be such an advantage to have all the books you need in a e reader or tablet. You would be able to search and highlight key parts quickly and make learning so much easier.

Plus one!

And, based on how progressive the world of umpiring education is, and how firmly it has grasped the available technology, I am hopeful this will come to being in the next six to eight years.

Posted

i would find short (couple of hours), situation or rule specific, small group, on the field sessions valuable...for example on balks....or on finding the right position for a steal at second (or tag plays in general if thats too specific)... or plays at the plate....

Posted

th3, I agree that these are very useful tools if set up correctly. Also with any drill its imperative for guys at clinics to watch the other guys while in line, and constantly learn from them that way you do 10x reps before you ever get your chance.

Posted

This isn't really a clinic Idea but one for training. I would like to see umpire manuals and rule books in e book form. I think it would be such an advantage to have all the books you need in a e reader or tablet. You would be able to search and highlight key parts quickly and make learning so much easier.

Plus one!

And, based on how progressive the world of umpiring education is, and how firmly it has grasped the available technology, I am hopeful this will come to being in the next six to eight years.

Who says you can't have an E-copy? Scan, crop, sort save!

Posted

th3, I agree that these are very useful tools if set up correctly. Also with any drill its imperative for guys at clinics to watch the other guys while in line, and constantly learn from them that way you do 10x reps before you ever get your chance.

In a clinic setting, creating your own reps is a critical component of learning a lot from your time.

Posted

This isn't really a clinic Idea but one for training. I would like to see umpire manuals and rule books in e book form. I think it would be such an advantage to have all the books you need in a e reader or tablet. You would be able to search and highlight key parts quickly and make learning so much easier.

Plus one!

And, based on how progressive the world of umpiring education is, and how firmly it has grasped the available technology, I am hopeful this will come to being in the next six to eight years.

Who says you can't have an E-copy? Scan, crop, sort save!

Agreed. I started doing this a couple years ago in MiLB. We are able to see the OBR, red and blue book online. I saved them as PDFs. I then saved to my Kindle so I could always have them on the road. Did the same with my NCAA Rules as well. Love it.

Posted

This isn't really a clinic Idea but one for training. I would like to see umpire manuals and rule books in e book form. I think it would be such an advantage to have all the books you need in a e reader or tablet. You would be able to search and highlight key parts quickly and make learning so much easier.

Plus one!

And, based on how progressive the world of umpiring education is, and how firmly it has grasped the available technology, I am hopeful this will come to being in the next six to eight years.

Who says you can't have an E-copy? Scan, crop, sort save!

Agreed. I started doing this a couple years ago in MiLB. We are able to see the OBR, red and blue book online. I saved them as PDFs. I then saved to my Kindle so I could always have them on the road. Did the same with my NCAA Rules as well. Love it.

If someone were so inclined to cut, scan, OCR, rebind, PDF, save, and sync to his ipad, kindle, kindle fire, and Android phone virtually every major publication (30 titles) and many more minor publications (another 30 titles), they would have to have spent , say 18 months and hundreds of dollars amassing such a resource.

Well the books cost what they cost, unfortunately and this represents most of the expense.

But to slice the binding and rebind a book is only $3.

And if his employer had say a Fujitsu FI-6130 ($900) high-speed scanner and Adobe Acrobat Pro ($150), he could scan a 250 page title and OCR it in about 15 minutes.

A real pain in the ass, but I bet it could be done.

Posted

Sometimes the OCR is funky though...sometimes a straight up scan will work better so there aren't random meaningless characters in the document.

OCR works extremely well and is critical for search and other features. Adobe Acrobat will scan and render the original document exactly as it appears on paper, but will add the text "behind" the document so that a search tool can find what you are looking for.

It's the best of both worlds.

Posted

Sometimes the OCR is funky though...sometimes a straight up scan will work better so there aren't random meaningless characters in the document.

OCR works extremely well and is critical for search and other features. Adobe Acrobat will scan and render the original document exactly as it appears on paper, but will add the text "behind" the document so that a search tool can find what you are looking for.

It's the best of both worlds.

A scan into pdf does it all is that accurate?

×
×
  • Create New...