Fashion Sins of Our Partners

Kevin Finnerty
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4501 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

In the issue of fairness, I'll upload a photo of me in my first year of umpiring:

YawetagIn2007.jpg

I'll even detail my issues:

1. Cleats on my feet
  2. Shin guards outside my pants
  3. Black pants
  4. Old-style non-cloth ball bag
  5. Hat on backwards
  6. (can't see it here) Hat has logo
  • Like 3

Wouldn't wear that shirt by choice. That was the shirt used by the league, and probably because it was the cheapest when they bought their stock. The last year I worked there, they'd switched to pocket t-shirts with a screen print of "UMPIRE" over the pocket.

Wouldn't wear that shirt by choice. That was the shirt used by the league, and probably because it was the cheapest when they bought their stock. The last year I worked there, they'd switched to pocket t-shirts with a screen print of "UMPIRE" over the pocket.

At least they have standards.

OK, I am definitely missing something then.

Am I not allowed to remove my jacket?

Taking off or putting on a jacket during a game must be avoided. So wearing a jersey under a jacket is unnecessary and generally unacceptable. And generally speaking, wearing a windbreaker behind the plate is becoming a thing of the past. Long-sleeve shirts in navy or black plus sufficient undershirt layering for the temperature is what is done---even with the base guy(s) wearing jackets. Also, a long-sleeve undershirt under a short-sleeve jersey is a sin.

Chris said it best. It's unacceptable in a serious umpire. This is like the military, son. It's not supposed to make sense; just do it.

In the issue of fairness, I'll upload a photo of me in my first year of umpiring:

YawetagIn2007.jpg

1. Cleats on my feet
  3. Black pants
  5. Hat on backwards

Now that I was finaly able to stop laughing I can type again.

Is that the Macarena Dance or the Chicken Dance you are doing?

YawetagIn2007.jpg

1. Cleats on my feet
  3. Black pants
  5. Hat on backwards

Andrew I was worse than that. I used a balloon, grey Dockers, blue polo shirt, shins on the outside and no cap with my mask. And I thought I was looking GOOOOOOD! I don't have any pictures, but trust me, you and the fellow in the other pic were miles ahead of me!

YawetagIn2007.jpg

1. Cleats on my feet
  3. Black pants
  5. Hat on backwards

And you STILL look better than the manager!! :cheers:

The Long Sleeve t shirt ,under short sleeve shirt (or as I call it the too cheap to buy a jacket look) was actually worn in MLB I cant find it now but I am positive that Jerry Crawford wore that look behind the plate during the 2003 NLCS . So I guess if its used once in MLB it never dies, kind of like guys who still want to wear Cream shirts .

The Long Sleeve t shirt ,under short sleeve shirt (or as I call it the too cheap to buy a jacket look) was actually worn in MLB I cant find it now but I am positive that Jerry Crawford wore that look behind the plate during the 2003 NLCS . So I guess if its used once in MLB it never dies, kind of like guys who still want to wear Cream shirts .

Hey I resemble that remark!!! I like my Cream Shirt!!! :smachhead:

It is actually the recommended shirt in on of my associations! :wow:

Worst story is a guy wearing white socks, work boots and no hat. He did a game behind the plate and "couldn't" wear a hat because his mask was broken and wouldn't fit over. The next game he moves to the bases and still sans hat.

Scariest story is an old guy, probably 70, is the PU, After our pregame he grabs his shin guards and mask and says "let's go". I tell him he forgot his CP and he says he doesn't use one because he gets too hot. Now it was a hot day but it was also a 16U game. Seems like being hot is better than getting destroyed by a foul tip.

Worst story is a guy wearing white socks, work boots and no hat. He did a game behind the plate and "couldn't" wear a hat because his mask was broken and wouldn't fit over. The next game he moves to the bases and still sans hat.

Scariest story is an old guy, probably 70, is the PU, After our pregame he grabs his shin guards and mask and says "let's go". I tell him he forgot his CP and he says he doesn't use one because he gets too hot. Now it was a hot day but it was also a 16U game. Seems like being hot is better than getting destroyed by a foul ball.

fixed it for you.

• Like 1

Now that you mention it...yes, I do remember that.

OK, I am definitely missing something then.

Am I not allowed to remove my jacket?

Taking off or putting on a jacket during a game must be avoided. So wearing a jersey under a jacket is unnecessary and generally unacceptable. And generally speaking, wearing a windbreaker behind the plate is becoming a thing of the past. Long-sleeve shirts in navy or black plus sufficient undershirt layering for the temperature is what is done---even with the base guy(s) wearing jackets. Also, a long-sleeve undershirt under a short-sleeve jersey is a sin.

Chris said it best. It's unacceptable in a serious umpire. This is like the military, son. It's not supposed to make sense; just do it.

Wow. Never knew this. Never even thought about it. I can't begin to count how many 9 or 10AM starts I've had that I started in my jacket and removed it after an inning or two. I guess this spring I'll do a few calisthenics at the car to warm up on those 55-60 degree mornings and leave the jacket home since I know by the 3rd or 4th inning it'll be 70-75 and sunny!

Not my partner but, i was watching a state tournament 12u game. 3 man system, the 2 base guys i knew from my association, the plate umpire left ALOT to be desired. Every thing and any thing you could think of this guy was doing wrong:

-Cleats not plate shoes

-red baseball socks (at least they weren't white right? :smachhead: )

-base pants not plates or combos (he did have on Wilson shin pads, i could tell by the logo being so tight against his pants)

-blue bag on the left hand side (they had on black shirts and he was a right handed throw)

-blue hat with football logo on backwards

I was watching from the press box with a my partners for my game and a couple other people not realizing that one of the other people was this guys assignor. I found out after the assignor left who he was and i felt awful about making my comments out loud, then i heard he had been talked about before about his appearance so it quickly passed.