As They See 'Em

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4815 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got this book last year and could not put it down. I was up until 2:30-3:00 in the morning reading, only to be at work at 8:00 most days. The chapters are a little on the long side for me, I prefer lots of short quick chapters (feels like I am reading more than I probably am). I think it might open some eyes to what umpiring is really like to people who don't know any better.

I too thankfully added this to my list thanks to SWMBO. I did love the book but I found some of Mr. Weber's writing style a little tough. He seemed to jump all over the place and some of the words he was using were a little past me... but I guess thats what a dictionary is for right?

Is this a great book or do we as umpires just have nothing else to call our own. I was very intrested in the book, I do think the writing was a little tough to follow at times and it did seem to jump from topic to topic. All that being said it is the best book out there for like minded umpires like all of us. I by no means am an author but you know what I think would be cool is if a bunch of us were to write a short story about something that has happened to us at some point then that could be transformed into a book of real tales from amature umpires. it may not be a best seller but I know I would have a copy.

• 1 month later...

I have read this book and it is or was one of the most enjoyable ones that I have read and as others have said hard to put down once you open it and start reading. I have a couple of other books that i got such as Three and Two by Tom Gorman, Also You've Got to have Balls to make it in this League by Pam Postema, Planet of the Umps by Ken Kaiser , and You're Out and you're Ugly Too! by Durwood Merrill that was sent to me. Of course there are others of great ready like the Jaska/ Roder and am sure we could go on and on. Thanks I wanted to just add a few.

• 2 months later...

I just finished this book last night. I also found myself not wanting to put the book down, but I think it was because I kept expecting a little something more.

I enjoyed some of the book, but other parts seemed a little elementary to me. I have some friends who have been to Evans' school, so while those chapters would enlighten some, I didn't get much from them.

Much of the book dwelt on the politics of umpiring, and anyone who has been around a while knows that politics are at work from the Little League diamond up to the bigs.

All in all, I thought it was well worth reading for those who enjoy umpiring, and for those who don't have a clue what umpires go through.

I'm going to give this book another try.

With 2 kids I don't get too much time to sit and read in peace, well if I'd get my a$$ of the computer more I could find the time.

I started this book shortly after it came out, but only got through the first 2 chapters, and had lost interest by then. I recently discussed this with a friend who told me he had the same issue but after the second chapter he enjoyed it more. So I'll give it another go.

I have 5-6 books on my shelf I want to read and report back to everybody on.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought it yesterday, I'm 2 1/2 chapters deep. I only get to read on the thrown and when the wife isn't nagging. It's been great so far, just wish I would've read it in the off season. Would've been more enjoyable. I can't wait to read it all and give everyone my book report. Thanks for the advice, this book is really insightfull so far.

Just finished the book tonight. Awesome read! Yes, as some reviews have noted, it jumps around time to time, especially in earlier chapters, and he uses alot of $10,000 words. But I like how it goes beyond a bunch of war-stories--which are good and relevant in themselves, if not flat out hilarious :cool2: --and gives a great in-depth look at umpiring from several different aspects. Didn't want it to end!

Starting on "Please Don't Kill the Umpire" next.

And Dan, having been in Afghanistan last year, ANYTHING will help pass the time, but reading this book will be well worthwhile and make the time go quicker! Stay safe and good luck!

Edited by Big Red

And Dan, having been in Afghanistan last year, ANYTHING will help pass the time, but reading this book will be well worthwhile and make the time go quicker! Stay safe and good luck!

That's true. The first half of this deployment has gone fairly quick. Hopefully the back end will move just as fast. Looking forward to July/August! Back to Germany and then back to the states for a month or so.

That's true. The first half of this deployment has gone fairly quick. Hopefully the back end will move just as fast. Looking forward to July/August! Back to Germany and then back to the states for a month or so.

Let us know if you want any other books or anything. I'll be glad to send you something. I was there a few years ago and would always apreciate receiving stuff.

Let us know if you want any other books or anything. I'll be glad to send you something. I was there a few years ago and would always apreciate receiving stuff.

Thanks. I'll let you know if there's anything else I'm lookin to get. It is nice getting stuff, but staying in touch with people back in the "real" world is nice too. Helps keep your sanity a little bit. Haha.

Finally got this book the other day in the mail. The first couple of chapters were kind of slow and he does use a lot of $10 words so to speak. After that it gets rolling pretty good and I have barely been able to put it down. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it after 2 days. Great book so far and highly recommended!

• 3 weeks later...

The book was great. Took me almost 3 weeks to read (between work, family & games I had little time) but it was worth it. Got a great idea of life in the minors through the big leagues. Learned a lot about the big league umps and how set for life they seem to be in their positions. They worked really hard to get there but it seems like many of them become complacent. Weber got to the real story behind the '99 resignations and how the union screwed ita members. For me the line of the book was when Tim McClelland was talking about the Gorge Brett pine tar incident at Yankee Stadium. When the A.L. President decided to make-up the remainder of the game the Yankee Manager Billy Martin had his pitcher step off and appealed 1st and 2nd claiming Brett never touched the bases on his home -run trott. There was a different crew for that game and the 2nd base umpire pulled out a signed affidavid from the original crew stating that Brett touched all 4 bases. Billy Martin said "affa-F*#King What? In closing, the book was a great history of umpires at the highest levels. It even talks about how bad ump's are treated in Japan. It talks about the few female umpires who have tried to make it in a male dominate world. I've told all my fellow umpires that they have to read this book. It's not horseSH*# (if you read it you know what I'm talking about). Read it, it'll be worth your time if you like umpiring.

• 5 months later...

For everyone who had a hard time starting/completing this book - I recommend the Audible version read by Charlie Steiner. He does an outstanding job at narration. It felt like an old, experienced umpire talking to me about his career. Fascinating this way.

LOVED the Evans Academy section. Also, helping me decide that I could never make that commitment, you know, because I like money. :clap:

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B002V0M3UW&qid=1288624939&sr=1-1

Edited by MikeLikesStrikes

• 1 month later...

When it was first published and just started reading it again. Man I miss umpiring (heavy sigh). Of course, with it being winter here I would be missing it anyway.

I obviously like the book thus I am reading it again. I find the injustice of the way all young professional umpires are treated to be essentially unconscionable and troubling for me.

I have several very good friends who are professional umpires and I truly enjoy their stories. Two of them just got released or retired this past season and one just got promoted to High A during this past season. I personally know three of the minor league umpires interviewed or mentioned in the book and the former manager of the Chattanooga AA franchise who was interviewed about Ria Cortesio is my former brother-in-law. I also have a high school friend and at least one college umpiring colleague (only one will admit it but I know several who actually worked) who were "scab" umpires in Lexington, Kentucky during the 2006 Association of Minor League Umpires strike. So, I have a lot of personal attachment and interest in the book. I have been to Cocoa Expo and seen the conditions there and again, a significant personal point of view of the stories and situations described in the book.

If you have interest in the world of professional umpiring I recommend the book. Unfortunately, it is not for those with limited vocabularies though. After all, the author was a columnist for the New York Times. I particularly like the fact that he "strapped it on" a few times at umpire school and worked in real games at several levels. He kind of reminded me of George Plimpton, an author from years past who put himself into various professional athlete situations then wrote about it. Bruce must have interviewed at least 1,000 people or more to write this book and he also read almost every umpire book ever written. Thus it is exhaustively researched and authentic in its presentation and point of view.

My two cents.......

• 2 months later...