plate or bases which is harder

umpire08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5551 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

hey there everybody which one do you vetrans think is harder to work the plate or the bases my mom thinks that the plate is where the trouble starts I believe in two way umpiring and that a umpire must be a two way umpire if he is to be successful at whatever level he is at except maybe the pro levels cause i think that the miniors use three umpires but at the HS level and JUCO use two umpire but just wanted to see what you guys think is the hardest to work the plate or the bases just wanted to hear what you guys had to say thanks very much

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a plate whore, but it shows in my base work. Both are equally important if you want to move up and succeed.

If I had to pick which is harder, I'd choose plate being harder. You have to maintain your level of concentration every pitch. You have multiple responsibilities. In some ways it gets easier as the level of ball goes up. The players have greater ability, pitchers can hit their marks, catchers know how to catch a ball and fielders know how to field and generally make the smarter play. But with this comes pitches which really break as an umpire I've gotten frozen on some of these pitches. Things move much faster and you have to be on your toes every second.

On the bases sometimes your waiting for something to happen and it doesn't and this can let your concentration slip. It happens where you go multiple innings without moving from the A position in a good game. But as you go up in level the players are faster there is more happening on the field.

I don't necessarily think trouble starts at the plate. There is just a bit more responsibility there and judgement calls come more int question there and the plat guy (generally) is the one in charge. If your off your game it really shows at the plate.

Hey all,

The plate is not harder than the bases, and the bases are not harder than the plate, but the plate is where you have MANY more decisions to be made. I think that the plate is harder PHYSICALLY than the bases, but that is about it.

Bigdog:cool:

I am like Warren, I would rather take the plate. I feel I am better at the plate than on the bases. This is probably because I have been behind the plate more. I have had more practice calling strikes than moving from A to B to C, so as of now, the bases are 'harder' for me soley because my base mechanics aren't as second nature/reactionary as my plate mechanics.

I agree with Bigdog, neither one is harder than the other. IMO, one could seem harder until you are proficient at that position.

I say the bases are harder.

Behind the dish, you are forced to concentrate on every pitch. On the bases, it is much easier to lose concentration, etc.

The dish may be physically harder, but at my age (51), it seems the exact opposite.

If given the choice, I'll take the plate.

Depends on the game...I've had plate games where I was struggling with my zone and games where I couldn't miss. Then I've had base games where every ball is hit on the ground and everybody muffs it and seems like every play is a banger.

I prefer the plate because on most fields, you're isolated from anybody having a view except you and the catcher (although everybody thinks they can see it.) On the bases, you're more exposed to the view of the riff-raff that line the stands.

I've worked about 130 games this year and over 80 have been on the plate. Last year I worked 76 games and 45 were on the bases. (yeah I keep track of this stuff). I like this year better, more games, more plates!

It's nice to see there are other people who feel my pain. I have done 110 games this year with another 24 games on my schedule as confirmed. I will probably finish at close to 150 when all is said and done. Just kidding about the pain part, it's a labor of love, and I enjoy just about every game I do. I am fortunate to have a flexible enough work schedule that allows me the freedom to take almost every game that gets assigned to me.

As far as the plate and bases go, I think you can make a compelling argument either way. Both are equally as important and come with about the same amount of assignments, but I will say the bases can be more distracting, especially when you have a chatty first base coach. I personally have always been more comfortable behind the plate, but have really started to come into my own on the bases and am becoming equally as comfortable while working the bases.

130 games?

Wow, I don't know how you guys work so many games. Even if my regular work schedule permitted, I still don't think I'd work that many games.

Ya'll must be studs.

I must have been a stud then. I used to work an average of 150-170 games a year, and on two occassions managed to break the 200 game mark early in my 21 years.

I worked more plates than bases, because out here there were certain JV High School teams and many Pony and Colt leagues that only used one umpire for their games. So whenever I got the choice, I would usually take the bases if it was just for a regular game. I always wanted the plate for the big games.

My two biggest games were at Qualcomm Stadium, but I got out-senioritied for the plate, and had to settle for 1st base each time.

Which is harder? Physically, the plate is more demanding on the body, especially the back. On the bases, the legs take some pounding, but it's much less physically demanding overall.

I sure miss umpiring. You guys make sure to appreciate your health while you have it and enjoy every minute of every game, no matter how brutal the pitching is.:eek:

I'v been going down in my game count each year mainly due to me reducing my availability. Three yrs ago I did over 200 baseball games, each yr Ive gone down and now I'm not even at 100. I would be at/over 100 if it weren't for all the rain. When fall ball ends I'll probably be around 150.

I'v been going down in my game count each year mainly due to me reducing my availability. Three yrs ago I did over 200 baseball games, each yr Ive gone down and now I'm not even at 100. I would be at/over 100 if it weren't for all the rain. When fall ball ends I'll probably be around 150.

Oh yeah, forgot about fall ball. That should add about a dozen or so more games to my count. Not sure what you guys have in the Tar Heel State, but out here in Boise it's pretty much just DH's every saturday for about 6 weeks.

• 7 months later...

As most here know I sissor because of my knees so the bases kill me. To me you are in the same stance on the bases as most guys use on the plate. Each have their problems with concentration but you really have to be careful on the bases. You coast for six innings and all of a sudden you have a play blow up on you. I will take the plate when possible because I can control the flow of the game. I will almost always take the bases first on a double.

First of all. we're not studs: we're umpire junkies. It gets in our blood, and, after 4 days off, we're chomping at the bit to get out there again. THEN, it's ice, Advil and alcohol (to be applied internally: it works better in there)

In answer to the question, IMHO, the plate is WAY easier than the bases. See, look at it this way: in 90% of my decisions on the dish, I have to concentrate on "what JUST happened" Ball/Strike/Fair/Foul. I'm behind the plate, I watch and see, and make a call. On the bases, I have to concentrate on what MIGHT happen, and move to a position to best see the play that hasn't happened, yet: Example: "Infield Ball, get the angle/oops, got through to the outfield, now make the pivot,/hey, he'e trying for second, hustle to the angle, here's the throw, wait, wait, he may drop the tag, OK now make the call". See what I mean? And, truth be told, the upper levels of ball, (HS +) are easier, because you can anticipate a little looser than you can with younger youth ball. You have a reasonable idea where the infielder will make the play.

hey there everybody which one do you vetrans think is harder to work the plate or the bases my mom thinks that the plate is where the trouble starts I believe in two way umpiring and that a umpire must be a two way umpire if he is to be successful at whatever level he is at except maybe the pro levels cause i think that the miniors use three umpires but at the HS level and JUCO use two umpire but just wanted to see what you guys think is the hardest to work the plate or the bases just wanted to hear what you guys had to say thanks very much

I do not think it is a question of which is harder but what is your umpiring goals.

You make a name for yourself by doing the dish.

It is much harder doing the dish because that's where it all starts especially in a tight game where the participants are more selective looking to get on base and potentially score the winning run.

Also, you have many more decisions to make on the dish then on the bases because you can get one of those games where the 2 stud F1's are on the hill and there is very little action on the bases.

As for me at this point in my career I like doing the dish in the Spring where here in the east it's still cold. However, I am not that keen in doing the dish on a 95 degree day but we all have to.

Don't get me wrong most of us have had those days on the bases where just about every play was a banger so yes you can have a tough day on the bases as well but by and large the dish is tougher.

Pete Booth

I am also going to agree that the question isnt really which is harder.....if your goal is to be an advanced umpire, then you have to do both well.......and depending on the game situation, I have had difficult games on the bases and difficult games behind the plate...

that being said, I agree that behind the plate is where you earn your reputation...a good ball and strike umpire will move up....a good base umpire who wanders at the dish will not.....Like most I am apt to grab the plate in a game....Its where I feel most comfortable.

Edited by Stan W.
clarity

I sure miss umpiring. You guys make sure to appreciate your health while you have it and enjoy every minute of every game, no matter how brutal the pitching is.:shrug:

with your recent success on your program, I predict a return to the diamond soon is in your future!!

best of luck and congrats...

I do not look at either one being harder than the other. I have done so many games that I don't care which one I am doing. After 17 years of umpiring, every game is just another game. I have called games for college level kids where the winner goes to the college WS.

Now, if we are talking about a rookie, I prefer them to be on the bases. They may get bored but they can learn more by watching an experienced HP umpire. This way, they can watch and not deal with criticism on every pitch. After a couple of games, then the rookie can get behind the plate and show what they have learned and where they need work.

I have always been opposed to the idea of veterans saying "You're the rookie so you do the plate." That is a lazy veteran who shouldn't be paired with a rookie if he doesn't want to teach the rookie.

I do not look at either one being harder than the other. I have done so many games that I don't care which one I am doing. After 17 years of umpiring, every game is just another game. I have called games for college level kids where the winner goes to the college WS.

Now, if we are talking about a rookie, I prefer them to be on the bases. They may get bored but they can learn more by watching an experienced HP umpire. This way, they can watch and not deal with criticism on every pitch. After a couple of games, then the rookie can get behind the plate and show what they have learned and where they need work.

I have always been opposed to the idea of veterans saying "You're the rookie so you do the plate." That is a lazy veteran who shouldn't be paired with a rookie if he doesn't want to teach the rookie.

Experience is the best teacher. The rookie watching isn't going to learn as much as the rookie doing and being given timely feedback. That's not lazy, that's another training method.