Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5574 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

You've probably run into some guys who are under qualified to do certain games because of lack of experience. Well how about a guy that's over qualified?

This guy is new to our park but from what I can tell from our pre game discussion adn the first few innings, this guy is good. Knows the mechanics, has a great presence behind the plate and looks good doing it all.

Well this is a Rec ball game and a low level one at that. Semi lob ball comes in and the catcher totally misses it. No swing by the batter, just a missed inside pitch.

Direct hit on the Plate umpires hand (who was resting them on his knees)

"G*D D*mn it Dude" Ahhhh... And he tries to shake off the hit.

After the inning I walk up to him and say "Welcome to Rec baseball" He goes on to say that if these guys can't catch or throw they shouldn't be playing out here.

Next inning the coach of the catcher who caught heck asks him to either apologize for cussing out his player or he'll go talk to the UIC. He tells him to go ahead and gives him his name and goes on to try and blame the catcher.

Later on the UIC asks me if the coach's story is try and I verify it. "Looks like he just lost his job"

Posted

Had one of those Friday night. Pitcher was throwing pretty hard and an inside pitch drilled me in the right forearm, just below the elbow. It's a good thing I don't cuss, because I probably would've unleashed a stream... Weird thing was my whole arm went numb from the elbow down for a few seconds. It swelled up a bit, but it's fine now.

Worst part was, I was considering calling it a strike - right up until the point it hit me...

Posted

I'm sorry...your boss fired a guy for going "God damn it, dude" after the catcher cleanly missed a pitch and he wore it on the hand? Really?

Posted

<br />I'm sorry...your boss fired a guy for going &quot;God damn it, dude&quot; after the catcher cleanly missed a pitch and he wore it on the hand? Really?<br />

As I said, It's Rec-ball... very low skill. It comes with the territory. Little kids don't need that kind of harrasment. And if it came from a coach, he'd be gone as well. Not sure what's tolerated at your place, but that doesn't fly here.

  • Like 1
Posted

<br />I'm sorry...your boss fired a guy for going &quot;God damn it, dude&quot; after the catcher cleanly missed a pitch and he wore it on the hand? Really?<br />

As I said, It's Rec-ball... very low skill. It comes with the territory. Little kids don't need that kind of harrasment. And if it came from a coach, he'd be gone as well. Not sure what's tolerated at your place, but that doesn't fly here.

What age group is this? 9/10? For those guys I would rather have a internal chest protector and a balloon chest protector, and a bar right down the corner.

Posted

Had one of those Friday night. Pitcher was throwing pretty hard and an inside pitch drilled me in the right forearm, just below the elbow. It's a good thing I don't cuss, because I probably would've unleashed a stream... Weird thing was my whole arm went numb from the elbow down for a few seconds. It swelled up a bit, but it's fine now.

Worst part was, I was considering calling it a strike - right up until the point it hit me...

ukce:

There must have been an epidemic. I got tattooed (sitchmarks left behind) by a untouched inside fastball to a lefty on my right elbow Thursday night also. It was so bad I had to dig the balls out of my bag with the left hand becasue my right hand had "forgotten" how to operate properly for a pitch or two. Same spot that I have a little tennis/golfers elbow in too. Dang that hurt but I didnt curse at the catcher. Not saying that I didn't want to just that I didn't. I did remind him that I am still back here in case he forgot. Of course ,any ice is about 2 miles away.....

Posted

I have 2 marks on my left wrist about an inch apart from 2 inside fastballs this past Saturday. I can still see the stitch marks on both of them, I thought the second hit broke something. Can't wear a watch yet and I went with one ball bag last night because it still hurts to reach in a pocket with the left hand. The weird thing is I tuck both hands under my thighs and the damn 10U pitcher hit me perfectly, I stayed down and in my stance on both pitches.

Posted

I'm sorry...your boss fired a guy for going "God damn it, dude" after the catcher cleanly missed a pitch and he wore it on the hand? Really?

Really. Language is OK in an adult league but even then it has to done carefully. I saw a guy toss a catcher in a JrLL Allstar game because he didn't catch a foul ball that hit the PU. :big_no:WTF I had a manager go to the UIC trying to get me fired from a JrLL league for telling his son to shut up and pitch when he interjected himself into a conversation between a manager and myself. Evidently he had taught his kids that "shut up" was a terrible word never to used.

Posted

Last night I ended my 4 game hit in the cup streak.

Sorry to here that, but you can always start a new one.

Funny you should say that...

Posted

Is this him (or any of you with the war stories)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wieY7wwzGag

Posted

Last night I ended my 4 game hit in the cup streak.

I have a 36 yr hittless streak. I did have a cup hit last year but it was a bounced ball. One three years with a bat, I went to cover third, batter stepped out and took a practice swing.

Posted

This was not me. I typically do not do the "dance of pain". It is sort of a misguided and warped false sense of toughness on my part.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

I got whacked by one in 14 travel ball on Thursday too. Just above the elbow elbow. I looked a lot like the guy in the video.

And maybe I'm being too sensitive but no one gives the guy in the video a "you alright, blue" or walks toward him or anything? Then some proud papa decides to put it on youtube because umps getting hit is funny?

Posted

I have gotten the crap beat out of me this week. Monday, U14, one off the inner thigh and then off the right forearm that caused the bottom half of my arm to go numb. Catcher simply whiffed it. Last night, U10 Wreck, THREE FRIGGIN' CUP SHOTS! Two square on and one glancing. Then, one off the inner thigh, and one off my left forearm. At least I have bookends now(: Before the game, HC says, "I've got 6 new pitchers/catchers tonight. Sorry Blue." I wanted to scream "You're killin' me Smalls!". By the end of the night, I was flinching and knew it.

Posted

I have gotten the crap beat out of me this week. Monday, U14, one off the inner thigh and then off the right forearm that caused the bottom half of my arm to go numb. Catcher simply whiffed it. Last night, U10 Wreck, THREE FRIGGIN' CUP SHOTS! Two square on and one glancing. Then, one off the inner thigh, and one off my left forearm. At least I have bookends now(: Before the game, HC says, I've got 6 new pitchers/catchers tonight. Sorry Blue. I wanted to scream You're killin' me Smalls;. By the end of the night, I was flinching and knew it.

And that would be a good explanation to the coach why is pitchers weren't getting strikes on the close ones.

×
×
  • Create New...