-
Posts
132 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by Moe
-
If you could read my other posts named "Easy" and "My Newest One" to maybe judge.
-
I was umpiring a 16U game. I was BU. There was a close play at 3rd. I called the runner out. The runner and coach were saying that they think he went around the tag. I said "He tagged your leg." and walked away. On his way to the dugout, he said quite loudly "Horrible!" and threw his helmet. I ejected him for that. I know it doesn't seem like much, but in this league, you're not allowed to throw equipment. It is an automatic ejection. The rule reads as such: "It is the responsibility of team officials to ensure that playing equipment is not abused. Players who abuse equipment will be ejected from the game." After the ejection, my partner (again, the same as my post "Easy") said that I should have ignored the throwing of the helmet. He said "If you learn to look away, you will eject less people and it will avoid headaches" and "MLB umpires are under heat nowadays because they are so quick to eject players." I like doing games with him, he is a confident umpire, not like a lot of guys I do games with, but I find he is such an old school style umpire. He has been umpiring for something like 30+ years. Thoughts?
-
-
I was hoping I could get some crew signals. I have a few basic ones, but I would like some more. All I know now is: Infield fly situation: Hand to the chest with the right hand or finger to the brim of the cap. Time Play: Hands out to the side with two fingers out. "I've got third": Right thumb and pinky extended waving back and forth. Anything? Thanks
-
Forgive me for asking, I don't do abbreviations that well. What is GD?
-
I'm about 5"8' and I stand in the box position. I was just wondering; what are the advantages and disadvantages of the scissors stance? Though I'd try it out my next game.
-
I was working the bases in a two-man-system. My partner is the same partner I had in the post "Easy". Anyway, I was standing between 1st and 2nd with a runner at first. The pitcher threw a pickoff to first, I called the runner safe on a very close play. About two pitches after that, the runner broke for second. The throw from the catcher was high and the ball went in to the outfield. The runner broke for third but got caught in a run-down. He ran back and forth for a bit before committing to second. The rnner slid in to second under the tag and I called him safe. Again, the play was very close. The second baseman yelled at me "That's the second fu**en call you missed so far!" So I ejected him. Just like in my last post, my partner was hesitant to agree with my ejection. He said "If you think he should be ejected, it's up to you" thoughts?
-
I was doing a game on Friday. Batter took a 1-2 fastball right at the top of the strikezone. I called strike three. He said "wow... F*#Ken wow..." And then covered the plate with dirt and walked away. I tossed him for that. My partner was asking why, I said that I'm not going to clean off the plate after he covers it with dirt without tossing him. He didn't understand why I tossed him. I have been umpiring for 6 years now but he has been umpiring for almost 30. I just figured that it was a different school of thought. Thoughts?
-
I personally use a Traditional mask. I have the All-star FM2000UMP and the FM 4000UMP. Needless to say, I prefer All-Star. From what I have heard, the All-Star MVP is much more comfortable and has better vision. The Wilson's flex cage, is a neat gimmick, but it actually reduces the pressure points to just the side and that is worse than the all-star cage. That means that the force isn't distributed over the whole helmet, just on the side. Remember, force isn't stopped, it is transferred. You will feel it more in your neck with the Wilson. If you can afford the All-star MVP4000 titanium, it is well worth it. But if you are interested, the all-star FM4000UMP is so light, you really can't feel it and the vision is amazing.
- 41 replies
-
- HSM
- Wilson FX 2.0
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I don't have plate shoes, but I have a pair of trainers and the stitching is coming off. I wasn't sure if I was the only one who was having that problem. I was thinking of getting a pair of plate shoes next year. I don't think it will be Zigs. They are comfortable, but are falling apart.
-
Is there any different way to judge ball/strike on a knuckleball? I stand in a box position with my head in the slot, but I still have a hard time judging the movement.
- 30 replies
-
- knuckleball
- knuckle
- (and 5 more)
-
Usually I say "You're done!" But sometimes if a player of coach is being really annoying, I say "Goodbye!" as I throw him out. I find it adds a bit of sting that they sometimes deserve.
-
Good thing you took a picture of it, that bright silver won't last long! It will be a dull grey in no time. LOL I'm not really a fan of the shiny. I would like for it to be a little bit more dull so there is less glare. (Now that I finally wore it on the field.) It is an amazing mask though. So light, so comfy, I barely felt it.
-
More interesting comments from coaches.....
Moe replied to KLAH316's topic in Off-Topic/Funny Stories
I was PU on a 10U game. I was helping a new umpire who was BU. R1 R3. I called Ball 4 on the batter. R1 went to second and for some reason, took a turn. The SS tagged him out. My partner called him out. The coach was yelling at me "He's allowed to go to second!" I said "Yes he is, but he overran the bag. He can still be put out." The coach said again "he gets second!" I said "no" and walked away. He came up to me after the game saying "I still think I'm right." I said "If you think so coach, read the rule book. I read it, I recommend you to the same." He approached me the next day and told me that I was right. Really? Thanks. -
A few weeks ago, I had a CF running off the field at the end of an inning. He fell up to his waist in a sink hole. We put a bucket in the hole and told the OF's to be careful and it would be a dead ball if it hit the bucket so they don't have to go near it.
-
Why does no one seem to use the hockey style mask?
Moe replied to Baton Rouge Blue's topic in Umpire Equipment
Thanks for making that point. I really like how the pads on the mask absorbs the impact. I found that the HSM transferred a lot of the energy to my head and neck. -
-
TW pads will fit Team Wendy's do fit on that mask..... If they fit on the 4000 they will fit on the 2000 Jeff - via Tapatalk Thanks a lot. My 4000 is coming in soon. I'll see about putting them on. I really like the stock pads, I find they are better than the Wilson leather pads, but I'll look in to it.
-
Hey people. This is my mask. There's nothing special, Just an All-Star FM2000UMP with stock pads. I would like to get some TW pads, but they wont fit with the curved forehead. I really like this mask because it is so light. I also like the aforementioned forehead pads. I get hit with a HSM and get rung. I get hit with this, I don't feel a thing.
-
You gave me a lot to think about. Thanks people! :D
-
Are they worth it? More comfortable? Less impact? How are they better than the stock pads?
-
I'm getting the all-star FM4000 (aka: system 7) mask. I hear a lot of TW pads. I was wondering if someone can tell me 100% that they will fit? The problem is, the FM4000, the top is curved to fit the forehead.
-
How much are you thinking?
